Truck Box for Long Box?

skidsareforkids

We just bought our Ram 3500 and are going to start trailer shopping soon. My truck has the factory 5th wheel prep. I want to go ahead and buy some kind of storage solution for the bed but I don't want to have to rip it out when I finally buy a trailer and hitch. Any recommendations how far back a truck box can be before it becomes a problem with a 5th wheel attached. How about how high over the bed can I go if any at all?

New%20Truck_zpsxheyyhce.jpg

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW

5th Wheel: 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 356QB

Two parents, three kids, two dumb dogs. Full-time since 01 April 2017

Full size box should work..........that is what I have with my 5ver.

How high above the bed rails can I go before I need to worry about the bottom of the 5er?

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW

5th Wheel: 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 356QB

Two parents, three kids, two dumb dogs. Full-time since 01 April 2017

I have this box on my truck and just about clear the fifth wheel...although if I ever get that close I've already done something wrong.

p1050351.jpg?w=700&h=

If you have the desired 6" to 9" clearance between the truck bed and the trailer, if you're leaving a service station through a recessed gutter, and if you turn at a sharp angle to enter the roadway, you could possibly strike the tool box with your trailer. Not much chance of happening, but possible.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

https://www.highwayproducts.com/5th-wheel-truck-package This company makes very good quality products. I have used them in the past, buying new is expensive but sometimes you can find them used as well.

Dont consider side boxes that will go OVER the top of the bed with a 5th wheel. If you go the travel trailer route, then it doesnt matter.

Marcel

Your truck box should be at the front of the truck bed, hence in front of your hitch. Therefore, height isn't particularly important. What does matter is weight. Check the tongue weight of your trailer first. You can easily overload the GAWR for your rear axle. Personally, I'd like to have a combination tool box and fuel tank but it would be too heavy for my 3500.

- Ken

RVing since 1983. Now Full-timing.

5er: 2010 Dutchmen Grand Junction 340RL

PV: 2014 Dodge 3500 Diesel 4x4 SRW

Got one about four years ago from Lowe's, and it mounts to the bed and sits below the rails. It was available then in a black finish which I got. This is the box, only in an aluminum natural finish. It has been perfect, doesn't weigh much and does not interfere with the hitch. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Better-Built-60-in-x-24-in-x-18-in-Aluminum-Aluminum-Universal-Truck-Tool-Box/3101653

Archived