W/10 Updates Pet Peeve!

Pieere

:ph34r: I have installed Version 1607 on my Gateway NE-522 with 1TB HD and 8 GB Ram! OMG, it takes such a long time to download these updates now. :blink: I had Win/8.1 before the July 2015 first free W/10 upgrade, never seemed to take more than an hour or so to update and install them! :) It just finished downloading, 1&1/2 hrs; now to wait for the installation! Not sure if it needs to be connected to the Web, so I guess another long wait! SIGH!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I seen That Bill Joyce didn't understand that I have already installed the AU! I was trying to say that the September updates took forever. With the installs 2.5 hours on WIFI! :unsure::unsure: What a drag!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Yup, it takes many hours to install the Anniversary Update (1607). This week my three old laptops all updated to it, after not offering it before. Luckily I have 16GB of rollover on my Verizon account, so I went ahead and did the update. (Note: I had to turn off metering for it to work. Otherwise it sat at 0% downloaded for hours on all three laptops.) My main computer, the one with the combination SSD/hard drive that I had to revert from 1607 due to freezing, still is not offering the Anniversary Update again. The updates it did offer were about 1GB in total.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Anybody with multiple PCs should download the big updates to a USB drive and move it around instead of individual downloads. The Anniverary upgrade was an entire release. It can be loaded as a clean install.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I don't want one download to apply to multiple systems unless they are identical in both hardware and software. Tablets and Atom powered low end tablets (except the Z3795 and a couple of others) run 32 bit Windows like my Dell Venue 11 Pro running the Atom Z3770, my ASUS T200 running the Z3795 is 64 bit Windows. Some run SSDs one a Hard drive, and each manufacturer has their own driver sets.

My advice is to update each so they each get what they need. Not the updates scanned for another. I have 9 Windows machines to update when I get home. I am staying at Macdill AFB lodging for tests and fly home tomorrow. I flew here at "OMG it's dark outside:30" last Tuesday. They can also be shared within my network but I prefer each to be scanned.

I did find an interesting free utility that does that and was last tested on Windows 8.1.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/apply-windows-update-to-multiple-pcs-from-usb-drive-while-offline/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

There are 32 bit version and 64 bit versions of Windows. The same images are used for Home and Pro version. The boot up process selects when elements are needed.

But some people have unlimited bandwidth.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Mark,

Sorry but I have to disagree. Each of my systems download different files based on the scan searching for updates before loading. If a 32bit tablet scans for updates without MS Office installed how is it going to update a 64 bit system with MS Office?

See if they were universal we could all save time just downloading a zipped file with them all included instead of waiting for our systems to be scanned. Some had very different downloads because one did not accept the Anniversary update.

So if we want the set to use on USB to work on all of them, don't we need to download them all and count?

At least that's my understanding.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Office upgrades are separate from Windows upgrade. Windows may download some outstanding upgrade but the code file for Windows in for windows only.

12 PCs off of the image download. Do you really believe Microsoft is up there building unique image files for each PC coming in for an update.

If you maintained as many PCs as I support, you would see that each Update is a separate file. A single update session might bring down several update files as one download process and then installs them one at a time.

When installed the Anniversary update which is really a new install of windows, one of the first questions is "Do you want to check for updates". If the download file was as you say, the updates would have been there.

Your understanding is flawed.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I will wait until I get home in another week to update. Now on 934 Kbps download WiFi. :(

Updates are available. We'll download them when you are not using a metered connection, or you can download 1.04 GB-1.36 GB using your current data connection (charges might apply). You might still need to connect to unmetered Wi-Fi for some updates.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

My 9 year old Asus netbook that I used as a dedicated navigation computer recently gave in to old age. The best match for a replacement was a Lenovo that came with Windows 10. Due to lack of Win 7 drivers, I reluctantly left it with Win 10 installed. Since this computer is never connected to the Internet (I disabled the network adapter to be sure), I am not worried about my usual Win 10 concerns, including this updating issue. Of course I realize my approach will not work for most people but it did allow me to run Windows 10 when I had previously sworn to NEVER infect one of my computers with Redmond's worst... :P

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Wow!

Guys I agree to disagree. I think Windows 10 is terrific. And I am running it on more than a few machines here. I have one with a System Partition I need to enlarge for the Anniversary update and I am allowing it to update on my main computer as soon as I finish this post. Still has some stuff that is ongoing like Cortana performance improvements and tweaking the desktop and tablet interfaces but it is very fast and very stable for me. I will reverse that opinion if it crashes my main unit today as the 1607 I deferred is downloaded and ready to restart to finish installing.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

my thoughts.

my pc's run vista, win 7 an one with win 10. all super clean. the win 10 boots in less than 27 seconds full boot. Altho im on a home network with no limit on data. Altho i have never got into what is included in each security updates for each. i would suspect that they are all different. an different for each make/brand of pc. altho im not doing the full time (yet). i can see some minor problems when i do go that route. So i think that life style does have some up's an downs. but i call it a trade off.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Been running Win 10 newest version with no problems. The boot is fast and the security seems better. Works for me!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

My cheap RCA 10.1" tablet did the AU in about 3.5 Hours. At first it did all kinds of weird stuff! Didn't want to shut down for it last trick! I forced a shutdown, rebooted about 3 times. Using it now and all seems to be working ok!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived