Air building question

GlennWest

Truck has not been run for a couple of months. All air pressure down. Started today, pulling out tomorrow. Built air but slowly. It is building air though. Changed purge valve during maiden trip. Do I have a problem or is this normal when setting up?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

What do you mean by slowly?

Per the CA CDL air brake test, "When the engine is at operating rpms the pressure should build from 85 to 100 psi within 45 seconds in dual air systems."

Is it slower than this? If so, you have some issue.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Oh I let it run for 5 minutes maybe and got to 100 psi. No obvious air leak. Didn't get out whisper though. It holding air. Still at 100 and that's where it was when shutdown today.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

also, once you have good oil pressure you can bump up the idle and build air more quickly.

I'll wait until i see a solid 60psi on the Volvo and then bump up the idle RPM by 200-300 or so.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Ok. Thanks. It doesn't build air as fast as I read it should. But it works. This is first time let set until all air leaked out. I considered changing the dryer filter but it looks new. Got to pull dryer to change govenor. Only reason not new one on there. Planning to relocate it.

Two bolts, a couple o-rings, and undoing the air hoses and the whole dryer/governor assy comes off and goes on a bench in just a few minutes. It is probably worth a shot at trying it at home once so you can solve corrosion troubles and learn how the delivery check valve fits in the governor section before a roadside repair though.

The hope is that it is all moot as you won't have the troubles that under hood mounted governor guys have and you'll never have to change it but I guess a guy should be prepared.

Underhood mount means more hoses/connections, places for moisture and crud to buildup. May be easier to service but brings its own headaches.

20yrs+ and several million kilometers I have never had a failed air governor strand me on the road...not saying I haven't had to replace a governor or three but it is not a super common issue but it is a super cheap and easy way to rule out problems with one part of your air system so it is the most "common" recommended first step in air system diagnosis.

I doubt that the air dryer needs to be removed from the truck to change out the governor but if it does it is an easy job if you have the tools (if I had to I would do it on the side of the road), I don't doubt it might be inconvenient to get at but it will be serviceable on the truck.

Wait, holds 100 pounds overnite? I need your air guy. Mine won't hold pressure longer than 4 hours. I thought it was just cause California was sucking the air out of it because my wallet was empty!

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

Wait, holds 100 pounds overnite? I need your air guy. Mine won't hold pressure longer than 4 hours. I thought it was just cause California was sucking the air out of it because my wallet was empty!

The longer you hang around here, the better you'll see how particular some of these guys are about their trucks. There are some here that are in better shape than when they left the factory. Some hold air better than a submarine....

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Archived