Information never discussed, TIRES

ChuckD

Sorry about my long semi rant post to this thread. LS has a good reputation. I believe I have a unique situation with one of their I think Independent Tire Dealers... So I was not bashing LS as a whole. I'm actually looking forward to visiting the corporate headquarters, as I have to believe with their reputation, they will want to know my opinion about how I was treated. Especially calling a customer a liar... I've also had great service with Discount Tires over the decades, and they are who I use for all of our passenger cars and trucks, they no longer do RV's with our size tires...

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty, How did the tire dealer get your card # if you never received an Invoice?

I worked with the Tires Salesman via the phone on the order, including the deposit. We knew our rough schedule for when we'd be in Oregon and wanted to take advantage of the no sales tax. First time I saw the invoice, with a comment added about no guarantee on tire age, was when American Express sent me a copy of it. They'd received it from the Tire Manager in response to my dispute and request to reverse the charges. I pointed out to American Express two key things: 1) My signature was not on the invoice; 2) The Tire Manger could not produce a proof (copy) of the Tire Salesman ever emailing it to me... Was surprised to see how not only American Express handled this whole thing, but also when I dug a big deeper out my next level of recourse - needing to go to Oregon and go to Small Claims court to attempt to get this resolved. (Which would have cost more then the amount in question.) Sure one part of me wanted to do this out of principal, but sometimes you just need to move on - I did on this one at that time. But, as mentioned, will be in Oregon later this year, and will go to LS Corporate Headquarters in person, to share my experience as 'one customer'.

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

You know Big Mike, I do agree. I am sure of a couple of things. I am not going to be in a hurry to get new tires. I will keep a close eye on them, watching for cracks, etc., and in a couple of years do some more looking for a new set. I will probably get all of them at one time. They are not great big expensive ones like some of the class A's so I will buy six. And I will not buy a cheap set but one of the top rated. :)

I thank you all for the good advice and now that my mind has been made up, I will blow out two of them tomorrow. :D .

2005 Jayco Greyhawk 30 ft
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Blog: www.RVtravelsofPauline.blogspot.com

But ChuckD, you've just started to scratch the surface on the discussions possible about 'tires'.

-Virtues of different Load Rating's

-Metal vs rubber stems

-Powder vs Bead balancing

-Centramatics

-Nitrogen vs mere air

-What PSI to set

-How deep is a crack before you must be worried

-Tire protection strategy: Covers? What color covers? vs UV Protective coatings such as Tire Block, Aerospace 303, Zaino Tire Protection

-Park on crushed rocks? Nylon cutting boards? Dirt? Concrete? Wood?

-Jacks down, or Jacks up?

-For long term parking, and holding ability on inclines. Round tires vs Square Tires?

-Age, age, age, age....

:)! --- :)! ---:)! So forget about my whining about a specific transaction that went wrong on 'tires'. You have lots of tires conversations and investigation ahead...

--------------------------

All kidding aside, and surely not directed to anyone on this specific thread. But I do like to share my opinion (And everyone is welcome to ignore it. But please let me know the roads you will be driving on...). I feel that those little tiny patches of tire that are making contact with the roadway. Are the only thing that moves you forward, or allows you to steer, and also allows you to brake - at the most optimum level possible. I tell my family and friends to drink cheap beer for a few months, if needed, to save money in the budget to buy the best quality and performing tire that you can get. And to be more worried about 'handling' then tires mileage. As you never know when an emergency maneuvering situation may come up, and those tires, and they better they are, is what could make a difference on a miss or a hit.

My $.02... And this thread added, for those that may search threads on tires in the future.

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

I appreciate all the newly started threads about tires. I learn something new, or at least a new way of looking at something I know, from each thread. When I am tired of tires, I will not open the thread. But I will be quiet and let others enjoy tires.

Now dang gum it Smitty, I got one thing fingered out and here you go putting up a whole new bunch of new questions. If you all ain't careful, I just might larn somethang. Tks a lot. :blink:

2005 Jayco Greyhawk 30 ft
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Pauline and I

Blog: www.RVtravelsofPauline.blogspot.com

Howdy,

I appreciate all the newly started threads about tires. I learn something new, or at least a new way of looking at something I know, from each thread.

+1. We really appreciate this new thread, specially after Smitty's post underlining the subject's importance and listing everything there is to know about it.

We're novices: haven't even purchased our own RV yet, and our experience so far has been with small class C rentals (and we have never had to worry about tires with them) so we are learning a lot.

I'm sure there are others who, like us, are mostly lurking on this thread but are benefiting from it, so please keep the ball rolling.

Thanks everyone,

--

Vall and Mo.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

A sampling of what is already in the Escapees Forum

By How Much Are Tire Weight Capacities Under Rated?
Replace 14" tires with 15" tires?
T
ire upgrade
Need Advice on Tires for Fifth Wheel
Trailer Tire Recommendation
Another tire question, couldn't find answer doing searches
Would you run these tires?
My latest Problem - a bad tire

-Metal vs rubber stems

Can you reuse metal valve stems when replacing tires?
Tire Monitors on DRW?
Dually inner tires
Cracks in tire rims-
TST TPMS Issue
Valve Extenders
New, Confused, and Overwhelmed
New trailer couldn't get from the factory to the dealer without a blowout

Balancing Rear Tires
Digital Tire Inflator -Centramatics
Centramatics Balancers
Balancing Rear Tires
Counteract blancing for tires
Itasca Quality
Hercules Tires
Volvo Project Report
Digital Tire Inflator -Nitrogen vs mere air
Nitrogen filled tires
Nitrogen in tires..something occurred to me
When Are You Going To Age Out Your Truck Tires?
Another 15inch tire up in smoke
Air compressor to inflate motorhome tires

-What PSI to set
Tire pressure
Tire pressure question
Maintaining Front Tire Pressures?
Cold Tire Pressure

Tire Pressure?

Trailer tire Pressure
Tire Experts, Dual Tire Pressure Question

None -Tire protection strategy: Covers? What color covers? vs UV Protective coatings such as Tire Block, Aerospace 303, Zaino Tire Protection
Tire Protection when Stored
Long-term parking; anything needed under tires?
Wheel Covers
My take on how to treat MH tires
Looking to buy those new Elements Tire Covers for wheels.
Best Product(s) for Cleaning Exterior

above

Levelers Up Or Down
Hydraulic Jack Maintenance
Storing the RV in the summer

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

A sampling of what is already in the Escapees Forum

By How Much Are Tire Weight Capacities Under Rated?

Replace 14" tires with 15" tires?

Tire upgrade

Need Advice on Tires for Fifth Wheel

Trailer Tire Recommendation

Another tire question, couldn't find answer doing searches

Would you run these tires?

My latest Problem - a bad tire

-Metal vs rubber stems

Can you reuse metal valve stems when replacing tires?

Tire Monitors on DRW?

Dually inner tires

Cracks in tire rims-

TST TPMS Issue

Valve Extenders

New, Confused, and Overwhelmed

New trailer couldn't get from the factory to the dealer without a blowout

Balancing Rear Tires

Digital Tire Inflator -Centramatics

Centramatics Balancers

Balancing Rear Tires

Counteract blancing for tires

Itasca Quality

Hercules Tires

Volvo Project Report

Digital Tire Inflator -Nitrogen vs mere air

Nitrogen filled tires

Nitrogen in tires..something occurred to me

When Are You Going To Age Out Your Truck Tires?

Another 15inch tire up in smoke

Air compressor to inflate motorhome tires

-What PSI to set

Tire pressure

Tire pressure question

Maintaining Front Tire Pressures?

Cold Tire Pressure

Tire Pressure?

Trailer tire Pressure

Tire Experts, Dual Tire Pressure Question

None -Tire protection strategy: Covers? What color covers? vs UV Protective coatings such as Tire Block, Aerospace 303, Zaino Tire Protection

Tire Protection when Stored

Long-term parking; anything needed under tires?

Wheel Covers

My take on how to treat MH tires

Looking to buy those new Elements Tire Covers for wheels.

Best Product(s) for Cleaning Exterior

above

Levelers Up Or Down

Hydraulic Jack Maintenance

Storing the RV in the summer

I added my post with a partial list as more of a poking fun at myself for going on about one bad experience with a certain tire shop. Mark really added some great links and meat to the subject.

It may have been in one of his links. But I've found sort of 'One Stop Shopping' on tire info from IRV2 poster Tireman9 (He may be here on the Escapees too, can't remember.) But anyways, here is another link to add to Mark's:)!

http://www.rvtiresafety.com

And tires are just another part of the overall RV'ing thing. Lots of areas to learn. I keep a small binder with notes on things that I've picked up over our RV'ing timeframe. (Which compared to many on this board, is much shorter in time:)!). I have notes from our first used Bounder, that I find myself still sometimes coming back to refresh my memory from... So for sure, access this board. I like IRV2 forum too, as well as RV.Net. Lots of very knowledgable, and generous with this knowledge, individuals on this board. I call this the RV Brain Trust site:)!

I learn something new from this gang on a regular basis, and always appreciative of the help..

Best to all, and again, thanks to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

OK, now I understand and I do the same thing. One company tried to sell me tires that , according to the code was "six" years old and when I pointed that out I was told "That doesn't mean anything". I left.

For any other use I would agree with "that doesn't mean anything" because by law the warranty begins with date of purchase; or lacking proof of purchase date, manufactured date on tire. RV tires IMO should not be purchased with a date code more than 6 months old.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived