How to dump rear bags to change valve

bigredhdt

My rear leveling valve went bad, fully inflated bags. I only noticed it by the growling noise from my driveshaft. That noise is unnerving to say the least.

If I use the dump valve my bags air back up when I shut off the truck. I have disconnected level arm and leveler is not responsive. I would cut a line to an air bag, but I would have to bring under the truck when I do that. (Scary)

Anybody have a good idea?

Ps. Anyone think I should change out bags since they were technically overinflated?

Run truck to build up air, shut down engine, turn starter switch to ON, use dump switch to dump rear bags, dump air tanks with lanyards, turn off ignition switch and bags will stay deflated. I do this when overnighting sometimes to level the camper from nose to tail. Be safe, Charlie

I'm with Darryl, why build it up??...but I'm with everything else that Charlie said. With the key on, dump the suspension, drain the tanks and turn the key off. Can't re-inflate if there is no air to use.

EDIT: If you have a low bed on your truck (like I do) drive the rear end up an a few 2x10's to get a little height to help with crawling under after you dump the suspension. Make sure to chock the front wheels too.

Why build air to dump it?

I believe I read somewhere that the air accessory switches won't work until the main system reaches a certain PSI. So need to build up main pressure, truck off, then key on and dump the suspension and drain the tanks.

PS, I could be wrong. It happened once before. ;-)

To lower the truck, you need to have less than 60 psi in the tanks.

My way - key on, engine off, hit the dump switch (and bleed it down), pump the service brakes to bleed system air below 50 (or so) turn off the key.

As long as the protection valve is doing it's thing, no air to the suspension.

Rick - not strange at all. Suspension, seats, cab air bags, air horn,radiator fan (no air, it is on, with air it is off) and all other NON brake functions are after the protection valve. Air is for brakes, other things are secondary.

Archived