TPMS Early Warning Example

ekim

We drove the TT a few hundred miles. I didn't notice anything strange with respect to tire pressure and temps. After we got set up for the evening and everything was cooled down I did notice one tire was at least 5 PSI lower than the others. This warranted an inspection. A quick glance didn't really reveal anything. When I started to look for a nail or something I discovered that the main part of the tread was no longer flat.

I'm giving the TPMS credit for an early warning detection of the bad tire (on the left).

Here's a photo of the bad tire (Left side).

BadTire_001.jpg

That looks like a major tread separation that fortunately didn't break loose and hit anything.

I agree. I've had tread separation that started out with this very rounded cross-section. I would carefully inspect the other tires as well, if they are the same age and brand. When I had one tire separate the others followed in short order.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Thanks for the advice. I had this happen before and it did happen to one or two other tires within a few months. I'll keep an eye out and consider replacing all the tires with something better as soon as possible.

We drove the TT a few hundred miles. I didn't notice anything strange with respect to tire pressure and temps. After we got set up for the evening and everything was cooled down I did notice one tire was at least 5 PSI lower than the others. This warranted an inspection. A quick glance didn't really reveal anything. When I started to look for a nail or something I discovered that the main part of the tread was no longer flat.

I'm giving the TPMS credit for an early warning detection of the bad tire (on the left).

Here's a photo of the bad tire (Left side).

BadTire_001.jpg

I agree the ease of checking the pressures before and after a trip is much easier but your issue wasn't detected while on the road. Do you feel if your trip had been longer the TPMS would have given you a sign of impending failure of the tire? I am going to order some crossfire extenders for my dual wheel applications with a pressure monitor at the wheel. I have different tire and wheel combinations than most. I tried a TPMS but had only problems with it.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Do you feel if your trip had been longer the TPMS would have given you a sign of impending failure of the tire?

I'd like to believe I would have gotten a warning if I continued driving but I really don't know for sure. I'm also going to try to track temp vs pressure better. I guess it's possible that the temp was slightly high and the pressure slightly low and I didn't catch an issue until temps equalized. That's just speculation on my part though....

I agree. I've had tread separation that started out with this very rounded cross-section. I would carefully inspect the other tires as well, if they are the same age and brand. When I had one tire separate the others followed in short order.

I had exactly what you say on our 5er in 2010, only the first one lost the tread(never lost air) before I got stopped. Close inspection revealed the other 3 were beginning to do the same thing.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

This one was obviously rounder than the others. How can I tell if it's just starting on the others?

While parked at the HDT repair shop/tire store, I closely inspected the remaining 3 tires. They all had at least one bulge in or near the tread. They were hard to see at first, I first found them by feeling the entire tire for uniformity, and symmetry.

That's when I decided to replace all 4 with Sailun 235/85R16, load range G tires and end my tire problems, which they did, with resounding success.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 months later...

I found a second bad tire in the same way. The TMPS showed a ~5 PSI decrease vs the other tire when cold. When warm they were close - within 1 psi. I also visually inspected the tires at the campground before we left. So this went from not visible to really bad in 2 days - under 1200 miles.

TrailerTire20161111_12_59_46.jpg

I won't be getting tires from this factory ever again....

TrailerTire20161111_13_12_00.jpg

Not all tires are made the same. 5psi dif is nothing tires get hotter when the side walls are flexing, I had a blow out on the tractor, no warning time pressure was fine, then bang then the pressure pro went off.the problem with the pressure monitors is they don't warn you temp rise

2001 volvo 660 single.430hp autoshift 2011 Mobile Suites 38rssb3

I have TST tpms. It does monitor temp. The temp on that tire was consistently close to the other tire temps. I'm not sure how accurate the temp reading is since the sensor is external to the tire. I wish I hit the tires with an IR gun. I hit the brake drums, but not the tires.

The running tire pressures were also very close, within 1 or 2 psi. The pressure difference only became clear once the the tires cooled down. It seems like keeping track of cold pressure is very helpful and a loss in one tire warrants a very careful inspection.

Right on the button! One summer I had all 4 tires on our 5er fail, tread separation. The first one began a vibration I could feel in the truck, I stopped, found a football-size bump on one tire. Inspected the other 3 when we stopped at a HDT repair shop and found them the same way.

When we left there we had 4 new Sailun load range G tires. Never had another tire problem.

Archived