Dexter never adjust brakes over adjusting

sclord2002

HeroMaker, yes, we are on a 3000 mile trip and I have had 2 brakes to over adjust and cause elevated drum/ wheel temps. One even over adjusted several times after intentionally cutting the brake magnet wires......that one really has me scratching my head. I removed the self adjusting components from one wheel. I talked to Dexter tech support and they were puzzled, too. I am just curious if anyone else has had this happen and would be willing to share what they found. Thanks, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

remove%20flange%20nuts.jpg

Charlie, the cable that cuts across the American flag in the above photo wraps over a wheel on the trailing shoe. The cable attaches to a pawl on the star adjuster. When the shoe wears enough the cable will tighten up on the pawl and will be able to click the star adjuster a notch.

If I remember right you must manually adjust the brakes first to set the tension on the cable and cock the pawl so the self adjuster will work. Unlike some car brakes that will only adjust when backing or using the e-brake these adjust going forward.

Now, I am just speculating but if any part of this cable and pawl system is is not initially tensioned properly I can envision the brakes never self adjusting. I would venture to say over adjusting would likely happen if the cable is tensioned too much (how?). I took the self adjusters off of my first set of axles (now on the 4th set) because they never seemed to adjust at all and I reverted to manual adjusting. I left them on subsequent axles - none of which stayed on long enough to need service. I know you have the wide shoe 8K brakes and can't promise they are the same as these. You can't completely remove the self adjuster without adding a clip spring to the star as I did to keep it from turning unless pushed externally by a spoon. You should be able to use a clip spring off of any non-self adjusting drum brake star wheel mechanism. Conversely, reducing the cable tension so wear would not tighten it enough to trip the pawl should work as well. Personally, I don't trust the darn things to work right - or at all. I take it the disc brake upgrade deal that was expected at the CCRVOC rally did not materialize?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy, I understand how the adjusters are supposed to work [i think] but don't have a clue as to why they ARE working the way they are on 2 wheels. The disc brake guy backed out on his deal or I would be sporting disc brakes, just as you are, now. How is your recuperation going ? I know you are a rapid healer but you gotta quit pressing your luck....lol...., We missed you Guys in Colorado. Take care of yourself and listen to nurse Nancy and nursing assistant Oscar. Charlie

Noteven, thanks for the link. All the parts were there and are working.....just working too well and tightening too much. I did find that the adjusting levers were positioned incorrectly,,,,they were hung on the keyhole portion of the slot in them. By releasing some spring tension I was able to reposition them so that the actuating lever moved so that the pin on the shoe fit deeper into the slot instead of being hung on the keyhole part of the slot. With the adjusting lever in the wrong position, the lever can slip behind the star wheel instead of riding on the teeth of the star wheel. Aparently, Camping World missed this when I had them check the brakes. Kinda makes me wonder if the tech who checked them was really familiar with the never adjust mechanism. I will reinstall the self adjusting components on the wheel I removed them from and see if properly positioning the adjusting lever cures the problem. Thanks to all who responded to this post. Charlie

Charlie,

Can you post some pics of the re-install with improper then proper installation? I would like to check mine.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived