Differential Cover with Cooling Fins and Increased Fluid Capacity

Kevin H

I'm thinking about putting on a new differential cover on my 2011 Ram 3500 SRW. I want one that increases my fluid capacity and has cooling fins. Anyone have a suggestion or preferred brand? I may put in a temp sensor and gauge too.

Truck is 2011 Ram 3500 SRW 4x2

Long Bed Crew Cab

373 rear end

6 speed manual

6.7 L Cummins

103k miles

I tow a 14K Montana 5er

I am not having any problems with the stock setup. Just thinking of doing it for increased lubrication and heat dissipation.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Check the temp on your stock setup and see if there is an issue, no sense spending money to fix something that isn't a problem.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Kevin H, with 206,706 miles on the clock of our 2003 Dodge Dually and pulling a 40' fiver with a stock AAM cover, to me it is just another aftermarket product that I sure don't need. The only thing I wish manufactures would do, is to put a drain plug on the bottom of the housing so you wouldn't have to pull the whole stupid cover with I think 10 bolts.

I look at aftermarket differential covers as shiny "bling" more than anything else. I agree that having a drain plug would be convenient, but don't think that any of the big three trucks need extra gear lube or cooling. They work just fine as designed. When I had the gears in my 1999 F-250 swapped from 3.73 to 4.30 I asked the shop (which did nothing but rebuild differentials all day, every day) if I needed to consider an aftermarket cover. His answer was essentially "The factory rear end has plenty of gear lube and cools just fine. Aftermarket covers are pretty, but do nothing to improve performance or durability".

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I have 290k on a chevy dually and the diff temp runs at 150F when checking with a heat gun. I use synthetic oil and change at 50k miles and so far everything is running fine. I once considered an over sized cover with fins but couldn't justify the $200+ cost. Most issues with diff's are caused by low fluid level and not following the owners manual for fluid change intervals.

Greg

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll get a infrared temp reader before dropping a couple hundred on something I may not need.

Good tip SCClockDr on making sure a new cover clears the spare tire.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

When I installed the MagHytec on the Dodge, I mainly did it so I could monitor temps. They have the drain plug as well as a top port for a temp probe.

The "Optional" reason was I was pushing a whole bunch of HP and Torque- 600+hp 1100tq thru the driveline. Granted the transmission was all aftermarket, the driveshaft was a 1 piece all aluminum with huge u-joints on both ends. And I figured that the extra fluid wouldn't hurt either.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived