Brake issue

GlennWest

With my Freighliner now my Teton brakes seems to be grabbing but on curb side only. They will actually slide some on dirt. Noticed grabbing brake when taking test yesterday. Couldn't adjust out with controller. Normal braking gets a jerk from brakes. Noticed in park curb side sliding. How can one side only be doing this? Only 1 brake controller wire. I have electric brakes.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, have you jacked up trailer wheels one at a time and applied the brakes to see if they are working ? Or you could jumper the hot pin in your TRAILER plug to the brake wire [not brake light wire] and measure the amperage with a DC clamp-on meter. Each magnet should draw approx. 3 amps, so 6 magnets would draw approx 18 amps. It sounds like a wiring issue if only one side is working but It's going to take some sort of testing to keep it from being just a guess as to what is happening. All the magnets are not likely to be bad on one side, but a wire COULD cause it. Let us know what you find. Be safe, Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Get a compass. Apply the brakes. Walk by each wheel with the compass at mid-wheel level. The compass (north end or south end) will point directly at the magnet that is working.

Brake grabs will also happen if grease is on the drums.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Our Teton also did this. The small wires going across the axles deliver substatially less voltage to the opposite side. To fix it I tapped into the brake wire well in front the axles and ran a #10 wire to the far side. Now each side is equally powered. Stops straight and true. As others have recommended check the brakes, magnets and wiring first.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

The problem you are describing sounds a little different than the one we had. Our 5er would mostly just pull to one side. It has been some time since I fixed it but I think it was the driver side brakes pulling on ours. It is easy to check by looking at the wires at the brakes to determine which side has the wire lead from the truck. I could also see the voltage difference with a volt meter.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Glenn, let us know what you find out. We may have a similar issue. We have broken all 3 of our passenger side electric brake magnet arms again. These only had 5k miles on and were replaced last September when we had all 3 broken then. Those only had about 12k miles on them after having 2 of the original ones which had 80k+ miles on them break. Called Dexter and they did not have a cause but are supposed to be sending us new assemblies since they were still under warranty.

I checked the wiring routing on ours and it runs down the drivers side and then goes across each axle to the passenger side. Once I have them replaced (again) I may try measuring the amps.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Wow, you actually broke the magnet arms? I did not think there was enough magnet power to do that. Are you sure you have the correct ones on the right and left sides? The brake magnet arm must wrap around the front side of the baking plate.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Wow, you actually broke the magnet arms? I did not think there was enough magnet power to do that. Are you sure you have the correct ones on the right and left sides? The brake magnet arm must wrap around the front side of the baking plate.

Yes, they are on the correct side. See picture below. I don't want to hijack Glenn's post but we might have similar issues with unequal braking. We have broken 8 of these arms so far in the last 20k miles. Had 80k on the original ones.

IMG_20160617_180436_522_zpsfr5rlt56.jpg

On The other two axles the magnet wires were still attached and wrapped around the center shaft.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived