H2O & Voltage Protection

We documented the decisions and changes we made in getting equipped to be on the road including fresh water, sewer, electricaland more. Full-Timing Life Style

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Electrical Management Systems are more than just surge protectors. Good ones will manage low and high voltage, reverse polarity, negative grounds as well as a surge. There are portable ones that plug into the parks pedestal and systems that are hard wired into your RV. The two most popular are made by Progressive Systems and Surge Guard.

Water regulators can be just a screw on at the hose bib with no adjustment options, a screw on with a pressure meter but no adjustment or an adjustable regulator. The two most popular adjustable are the Watts or the Valerta.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Just my very basic thoughts:

If I had my "druthers" I would install A PERMANENT FIXED HARD WIRED "EMS" then any portable in line series device ESPECIALLY A "SURGE GUARD" ONLY

The Regulators come in basic cheapest NON ADJUSTABLE all the way up to what are advertised as FULL OR LESS RESTRICTIVE FLOW and even with an onboard analog pressure gauge.

If you're going on the road and only intend to buy all this ONLY one time and be done with it, Id opt for the hard wired EMS and the more expensive "full or less restrictive flow" regulator and gauge.

As far as brand and model preferences read reviews and experiences and preferences here (may or may NOT always agree lol) then its your money and your decision.

John T

Here's a permanent whole house surge protector my home generator people install on the auto switch box to protect both the home and the 25kw water cooled generator system they installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYCOM-WHOLE-HOUSE-SURGE-PROTECTOR-SYC-120-240v-T2-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-/111243981208?hash=item19e6a87198:g:c00AAOSwaA5WibSB

These are one shot then replace. They are said to protect everything behind them.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'd add a weather alert app to your cell phone, like WeatherBug as an example. And or, invest in a good portable radio with weather alert included.

Water filtration is also important. Determine the filtration system that came with the rig, then call and talk with the pro's at RV Filter Store. Talk over the options available, and make our own choices on what level of protection you want to add to the existing system. They're also a good source for water pressure regulators too.

Tire Pressure Monitors, if not included in your purchase, are another good safety feature.

Your choice of GPS systems.

Have a blast, and take your time and enjoy the transformation of going on the road!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

My choices, all water is filtered before going into the trailer through a pressure regulator (we have a Watts on our bricks and sticks home as well) and the Progressive Industries guaranteed for life and hard wired where it will not walk off.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=7665

I would agree with post #8 if we add one additional link and that is for the Surge Guard by TRC. I have been using one now for 15 years and either it or the Progressive version work well and do what they are designed to do. I would select whichever one you can get for the better price. Progressive does have the advantage of being somewhat easier to work on, if you do your own repairs and I have repaired both. What I like better about the Surge Guard is it's better weather protective ability. Whatever you select, be sure that you get either 30a or 50a models based upon what your RV power cord is and that you get the full protection model and not just surge protection. If you are interested, there is an article previously published in Escapees Magazine that may be helpful to you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What I like about the Progressive EMS is that has a lifetime warranty, and if you call them, a tech will either talk to you right away, or return your call if the shop is closed, say for Christmas week. Excellent customer service.

2014 Redwood 36RE

2013 RAM SLT DRW, Cummins, ASIN

2001 Dodge SLT Cummins

Archived