Tool Truck Tools (slightly off topic)

Nuke-E

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249851

I know I talked about this at the ECR with somebody and said I'd share a link, but forgot who it was--figured the rest of the group might be interested as well. It's a great cross-reference for the "Tool Truck" brands and their industrial counterparts. Aside from not easily getting the tool truck parts without visiting a truck, prices tend to be a lot lower. I've now bought a couple of things off the list (e.g. 88-tooth ratchets), and they're identical except for the name on the handle and American made.

I'd always been pretty loyal to Craftsman, but the Chinese-made stuff just doesn't seem as well made (and that's about all you can get any more).

Just be careful if you've never wandered over there...the Garage Journal forums have a billion ways to part you and your money.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Bookmarked.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

So do any of you guys do wiring work on VW/Audi's? We have a member here that is gonna need a set of Tyco/Amp tools for wiring his T680 and all I've ever used is my $2500 dealer kit. But supposedly VW's use the same stuff so maybe there is a weekender affordable type kit out there?

Scrap, what kind of work on a VW? There are three TDIs in the family, although one is one of those "polluter".

You guys and new tools...... I just probably sold my place with a 40 by 36 garage and I need to get rid of a bunch of tools, low grade, but they did what I needed (for the most part). Now I have no place to put new tools........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Scrap, does anyone make a connector with pigtails that fit the AMP connections on the T680? Might have to do some Disney engineering on the wiring with the time crunch we are under getting everything done. That will get us going until I have some downtime in August or September and let me make up a new harness for bed when I have time.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Scrap, does anyone make a connector with pigtails that fit the AMP connections on the T680? Might have to do some Disney engineering on the wiring with the time crunch we are under getting everything done. That will get us going until I have some downtime in August or September and let me make up a new harness for bed when I have time.

Do you know yet what the connector looks like? I'm pretty sure Scrap told me months ago that it was a 6-pin plug. The bed wiring harnesses I've got should work with a 6-pin to 5-pin adapter (or we just put the 6-pin plug on the harness ahead of time).

Send me a message and I'll try to get you what you need.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

David,

Looked at the connector yesterday but I am at the airport in KC and will not see the truck again until next Friday or Saturday to take a pic of the connection.

Scrap might be able to help out here before then as he has a couple of trucks like mine there.

I think these are a non STD connection but will get you the info ASAP.

Appreciate the help as I also plan on picking your brain a bit more on light availability for what I am trying to do.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Problem is that to acquire more stuff, I have to get rid of old stuff (rule of something new in the house, something old out)...

I'm about out of old hats and Tee-shirts to trade for tools!

Dammit Jim, you made me spray ginger ale all over my keyboard.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Dammit Jim, you made me spray ginger ale all over my keyboard.

I wonder what Allie will have to say when he runs out and starts giving away her stuff in order to bring more tools...

David,

Looked at the connector yesterday but I am at the airport in KC and will not see the truck again until next Friday or Saturday to take a pic of the connection.

Scrap might be able to help out here before then as he has a couple of trucks like mine there.

I think these are a non STD connection but will get you the info ASAP.

Appreciate the help as I also plan on picking your brain a bit more on light availability for what I am trying to do.

Absolutely--I'll see if I can dig up what Scrap told me about that plug.

CN13350 6 pin weatherpack at your KW dealer. Build harness with it and put a short red pigtail on the aux pin so you can use the aux circuit.

The Tyco connectors are just for all your dash klingons. And Paccar sells the sealed pigtails and premade splices to put in but you need the VW tools to get the connectors apart. All the basic body add on parts are weatherpack metripack bullets and you have that big junction box as well. So the pre Texas part of it should be quick and easy.

I think we need to start a 'rig my 680' thread that starts with a pic of your frame layout, a pic of your dash, a pic of the connection hairball behind your sleeper, and a priority list of what all needs wired or installed. We'll get r dun. Or at least everyone can watch us burn it down trying! ;)

I think we need to start a 'rig my 680' thread that starts with a pic of your frame layout, a pic of your dash, a pic of the connection hairball behind your sleeper, and a priority list of what all needs wired or installed. We'll get r dun. Or at least everyone can watch us burn it down trying! ;)

Now that's somebody that belongs in this group!

Thanks for the info. You know you have a problem when you look up that part number to get a picture, and then go open up a storage bay to grab a couple of them!

CN13350 6 pin weatherpack at your KW dealer. Build harness with it and put a short red pigtail on the aux pin so you can use the aux circuit.

The Tyco connectors are just for all your dash klingons. And Paccar sells the sealed pigtails and premade splices to put in but you need the VW tools to get the connectors apart. All the basic body add on parts are weatherpack metripack bullets and you have that big junction box as well. So the pre Texas part of it should be quick and easy.

Will add a pic of the dash when I get back home. The hairball of wiring and airlines will need to have the 60 or so zip ties cut off and a play book made for what will go to which monkey. Somebody got wild with the black paint after everything was tagged.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Same stuff John Deere's been using for years. Crimper's a little spendy, but everything else is cheap.

I need glasses to get a proper crimp these days. Getting old sucks, but not as bad as the alternative.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Scrap, just so you can see some of your handiwork, here is a look at the dash. Made it home from KC last night but we are headed to the Smokies this morning. The others we can put in a separate thread like you suggested when we can. That way the next person can have part numbers and a game plan going in and understand what will need to happen and some of the options available on a KW

KW_Dash.jpg

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Nuke-E, on 13 Jun 2016 - 3:38 PM, said:

I'm guessing, based on that photo, that Scrap talked you into every option KW offers? :P

Looks sharp!

Actually, they deleted one latched solenoid and 4 aux switches that we had wired into the dash for "stuff" as they couldn't put everything that Scrap wanted on the truck. We found out that KW does have limits. I also found out another thing during the build process on this one. Everything behind the KW bug on the hood is an option including where you want it put. We wound up having a clean top and outside rail for the frame and a completely slick back on the cab with Scrap's help. Now I just need to figure out when to go the Renton and have him explain all of the stuff on this truck. :)

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Archived