Hitch Height

txdslshop

Went to pick up our new Grand Design Momentum yesterday and It appears the hitch height is roughly 53". I had to drop my trade in and go home to get my Dodge with an adjustable height hitch in it to get it home. My Volvo is set to 48-49" hitch height and I have pulled 4 different 5th wheels with it lately and all rode perfect and didnt require any adjustment. I measured several level 5th wheels on the dealers lot and it was pretty split. Some were 48 and some were 50+. Has anyone run into this? I pulled my buddy's new sandpiper home for him Thursday and it was perfect at 48". Thanks. Jeremy

The pin height of our New Horizons Summit (measured to the bottom of the plate from which the pin extends downward) was 50", while the height of our ET Junior hitch was/is 47". We took our rig to Henry Szmyt in Port St. Lucie, FL who modified the MOR/ryde pin box (welded on vertical 3" extensions. Now the trailer rides level. Here's a link (with pictures) to what Henry said about the project on the forum:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=122297#entry831848

2001 Volvo 610 HDT with Smart Car bed and ET Junior hitch

2007 New Horizons Summit 38

2013 Smart for Two

2012 Easy Racer Tour Easy recumbent bicycle

"There is no path. Paths are made by walking." – Spanish poet Antonio Machado

It was already set to the lowest set of holes and is still at 53". Dealer made some calls to Grand Design Rep and the rep agreed that standard height should be close to 48". I have Volvo set right at 47" or so. Hopefully someone makes a drop pin box. I have the dealer and manufacturer on board for paying for the pin box and we will install it in my shop. That way I can be sure it is set correctly. This is a lippert 21k pin box. 1621 I believe.

Don't trust a slab. Mine showed way off with camper level. 3" difference. Laser from axles and shot beam to pin. Verify at chassis at axles it is level. Most underbelly won't allow placing level on steel and clear to pin. Had to place mine on an object, coffee can, and shoot laser. Just measure difference and add to final measurement

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The springs are over the axle and it has to stay that way. It has a dropped frame in front and it couldn't stand to be any lower. My Dodge is a flatbed and it pulled it fine. But, I am not reworking my hitch height on the Volvo as a dropped Pin Box would be mucho easier. I am hoping that someone sells one that will bolt on and keep me from having to fab up my own. As far as level goes... I don't have a laser level. But, the auto level seems to think it is level as well as my 6 foot bubble level. With it set with those, it is just shy of 53" hitch height now. My old 5th wheel and both of my trucks were set to match my last two 5th wheels which both measure just shy of 48". I will be spending some time tomorrow looking for a pin box that will drop roughly 6" from what it has now. I certainly appreciate all of the input on this. Jeremy

Sounds like they installed the wrong box. We looked at a 397TH Momentum this past spring. I measured everything to get an idea and the pin was at 49".

Or because all of the late model pickups have high bedrails, that's the "New Height" for rv's.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

But is the pad level? Reason I harping this, mine showed like 42 and I knew it was low. Was about to mess up and have my hitch mounted to low. Invested in a laser, low cost one from Lowes. Mine was 49 in top holes. Dropped one set. Set hitch on truck at 47, tows level. A line level or water level do same and cheaply.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Jeremy, my experience with dealers, manufacturers and (yes) pinbox makers is that they approach this situation, ("Existence of fifths with pinboxes that don't work on certain trucks with certain hitches") with wisdom of ostriches. You know the story about burying their heads in the sand, except I would go one step further, since the answers you get are of the quality of "horse$@#&" I think they are burying their head in other dark places. A favorite answer, always useful when covering ignorance and inability to innovate is, "can't do anything, you know LIABILITY". Horse$#@&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not likely anybody will help you unless you engage a good fabricator.

Here's how we altered a pinbox that needed to be extended down about the same distance you need to extend yours (two new sets of holes)

2180250040096176628sNqqre_fs.jpg

We extended the vertical walls by the height of that front wall.

Made a drilling template from the original holes and used a mag drill to make new holes.

2949089810096176628ZlPJMe_fs.jpg

Finished product.

2846474740096176628EPuPhT_fs.jpg

Those cross braces were not part of the original design, we added these to stiffen the box and distribute better the load over the new height, this is how you avoid LIABILITY, still Horse#@$&!

Ran into the same thing last week picking up my 2016 Cedar Creek, hooked up and it and the front of unit was way too love to bring home safely. Went home and raised my comfort ride hitch to it's highest point and that was enough to get it home but I'm going to have to pull off the pin box and extend it to get the unit level. I can only lower it 2" and that won't be enough. I installed my hitch recessed below the frame rail tops and I don't want to mess with that, it turned out nice and will work well with my planned bed. I expected to have to fiddle with it some. I caulk it up to the HDT experience.

mine has a lippert 1621 that i'll just drop and take to my friends welding shop for modification. I forgot to mention that my dealer was not too keen on making any adjustment to the pin box even to get it off their lot. liability excuse. they saw the semi and I could tell they weren't gonna be much help. no real matter, i had already realized what it needed

• 1 month later...

Update. Took a few weeks to get the new pin box from Grand Design and after vacation I got busy and did the modifications. I am a happy camper and my Grand Design is sporting the appropriate 48" Hitch Height for my setup. Waiting to finish up the tranny rebuild and clutch on the Volvo's Ultrashift before I can test fit the Volvo. But, my trusty Dodge Dually loves it. Thanks again for all of the input and the pics to give me the ideas to modify it. Jeremy

e17072ca-d8c9-4de8-9131-45ee38ee4e5c-s.j

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to posting up a couple pics of our new rig. I also took a bit of time and broke out the Mag-Drill to mount our hitch in the forward position. That shortens us up by 3 feet and still allows full turns without any interference. I have only made one short trip with the new momentum behind the Volvo as it is now down at our RV spot on the coast for a couple months. Thanks again for all the help from everyone. Jeremy

1697a6b7-5171-4dd7-8301-955e99d3cb0a-s.j

Archived