on the road, dash acting weird, any ideas

steiny93

We are in TN right now, home is MN.

Last couple of days the dash on the Volvo 610 lights up when I turn the key on, but after starting it the entire dash is dead. Shut off and restart and all is well (dash works as expected).

Any ideas? I'm assuming that something isn't getting the "engine is running dash should be lit" signal after a start.

Any ideas?

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

We had this problem in our MDT. After several years of trying to fix it(became very good at removing the dash) we found a place that would rebuild it for $200(I think). I believe the place was in Canada but you mailed it to US address. Took a couple of weeks. If you can't find the place online let me know and maybe I still have the paperwork. We sold the MDT so I am not sure what we reatained.

Any value in trying to unplug then re-plug in some connectors? To me its odd that the dash is fully lit prior to starting but then gets confused after start up. (or is that how they act when they are dying?)

The dash, low air alarm, shifting indicator all dead when it happens.

Model year 2000 if that helps.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

After looking over a problem like this and if seeing nothing obvious. I start looking at ground points. Corrosion under a ground strap or point can really make things act strange.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I would do the batteries first, then where the engine grounds to the frame if it has a separate strap. Remove them clean to shinny apply some dielectric grease and reinstall. You might also see if your ECM has a separate ground.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

steiny93, We had a problem with my dash. The dash would not light up. After it ran for a while then the dash would come to life. We found a relay in the turn signal was bad. They wanted ti sell me a complete unit but we found the relay about $35.00 Does that sound kind of like your issue? If so i think I still have a part #.... Pat

The Old Sailor

A faulty (worn) ignition switch can create the same symptoms. Key on, dash lights. Key start, dash cuts off. Key back to run - a poor contact and dash does not come back on. You may try giving the key a wiggle in the run position.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

A faulty (worn) ignition switch can create the same symptoms. Key on, dash lights. Key start, dash cuts off. Key back to run - a poor contact and dash does not come back on. You may try giving the key a wiggle in the run position.

Randy.....didn't you help someone recently with a "key" issue?

I had similar symptoms and ended up taking it to a Volvo dealer for them to diagnose. $900 later they found a wire under the front seat that insinuation was rubbed off and it was shorting to the frame intermediately. So now works perfectly, I never would have found that. Just a little electrical tape in the right place, no charge for supplies.

Some times one just needs to bite the bullet and pay the piper and find the cause and get a solution. costs but it is done.

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

Archived