My old Shurflo isnt available. Which water pump?

rebar

It depends upon your needs and preferences. I have used the pumps like those you listed for my entire RV experience of more than 30 years. Because I was not real happy with the performance, I added an accumulator which takes out the pressure surging from the basic pumps and lowers the pump run time so that pumps tend to last longer. It also helps to lessen the noise from the typical pump.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The one we were most satisfied with was called a "revolution" (I don't remember the part/model number). Went through 4 of the Surflow 5.1 gpm

variable speed pumps in 2 years before Surflow told me that the 5.1 wasn't intended for fulltime use!

Ron

The one we were most satisfied with was called a "revolution" (I don't remember the part/model number). Went through 4 of the Surflow 5.1 gpm

variable speed pumps in 2 years before Surflow told me that the 5.1 wasn't intended for fulltime use!

Ron

Thanks. Pretty sure your revolution is the 4008 series I haven't heard many bad reviews about. Except the fact shurflo changes design allot and doesn't support parts for allot of good pumps needing them! Like my discontinued shurflo 2088-403-144

Does Flojet or Aquatec practice the same type of tactics?

1997 Ram ctd 4x4 5 speed 3.54

I would like to have a backup water pump because I'm cautious.

I see my shurflo 2088-403-144 isn't available anymore and have read the 2088-554-144 is the replacement.

Before I order it, should I consider a variable flow, or shurflo 4008 series pump ?

I replaced my original, 14-year old ShurFlo with a 4008 which lasted about 15 months. Though it had a 2-year warranty, I decided to try another brand -- the Remco Aquajet RV.

It's a more powerful and quieter pump. So far so good.

BTW, I still keep my original ShurFLo as the "Plan B" pump.

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

After repeated failures with the ShurFlo 5.7, I also carry a backup pump. For the backup I have the basic ShurFlo 1.8 gpm pump. After giving up the ShurFlo 5.1 I got a Flojet VSD 4.5. The Flojet works fine, but frankly I am very disappointed with it's performance ...doesn't seem any better than the 1.8.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

It depends upon your needs and preferences. I have used the pumps like those you listed for my entire RV experience of more than 30 years. Because I was not real happy with the performance, I added an accumulator which takes out the pressure surging from the basic pumps and lowers the pump run time so that pumps tend to last longer. It also helps to lessen the noise from the typical pump.

X2 on the accumulator

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I went with a Flow Jet variable speed pump 12 years ago and have had 0 problems with it, I can't remember the model number. The only time it makes a lot of noise is when something gets up against it.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

My Shurflow 2088 started to leak around the head in May 2014 after about 10 years of fulltime use, but not using the pump all the time. We were in Twin Falls, ID. at the time and headed to Alaska and I rode down the road to Bish's RV, who advertises a big RV parts department. Well the "parts guy" told me that all we have is the 4008 pump as you can't get the head for the 2088. Of course I took his word very lightly but did get a 4008 as not wanting to play games on the way to Alaska. Saved the 2088 just "in case". Thought I'd look in RV joints if anywhere nearby for the 2088 head. Didn't get to look on our way north but when I got done booking a boat to a glacier in Seward, AK. there was a huge True Value Hardware store across the street. Just had to go in. Clothing, fishing, hunting, boating, etc. As I perused the marine department the light came on. Boaters use Flow Jet and Shurflow pumps. Sure enough, there was pin with five 2088 pup heads hanging. $19.95. Rebuilt the pump and we use it to pump from five gallon containers of water when we dry camp. Well as luck would have it, last week back in Twin Falls, and the 4008 starts cycling about every five minutes. So I knew it was going to be a waste of time but the devil made me do it. Back down to Bish's "big parts dept." as they have been advertising that they bought out Brockman RV out along I-84 and combined the parts departments. Well having been in Brockmans a few years prior and knowing their parts were nearly non-existent I sure wasn't getting my hopes up. The trip sure didn't let me down. Same "parts guy" as two years prior said "oh, you can't get just the heads for the 4008, just the whole pump". I said " well I try to buy locally but I believe I can get it on the inet. Sure enough, come back and there are places that even have the separate parts for the head. I forget most of the time but have run across numerous RV parts at boat shops. Don't know what your problem is with the pump but don't give up.

My Shurflow 2088 started to leak around the head in May 2014 after about 10 years of fulltime use, but not using the pump all the time. We were in Twin Falls, ID. at the time and headed to Alaska and I rode down the road to Bish's RV, who advertises a big RV parts department. Well the "parts guy" told me that all we have is the 4008 pump as you can't get the head for the 2088. Of course I took his word very lightly but did get a 4008 as not wanting to play games on the way to Alaska. Saved the 2088 just "in case". I forget most of the time but have run across numerous RV parts at boat shops. Don't know what your problem is with the pump but don't give up.

Thanks for that.

That inspired me to reconsider another shurflo. So I called them and told them mine hadn't quit yet , but I wanted another shurflo 2088-403-144. They told me it was discontinued and said the 4008 revolution series is the replacement but the bolt pattern is different. I asked why she didn't recommend another 2088 series pumps so the bolt pattern was the same? She again recited the exact same thing.. "We recommend the 4008 series"

Do you ever feel like your talking to a brick wall? Or a automated phone line, but its a person?

I must admit my fuse has been short lately, but after hearing that I told her I just decided to use another brand and hung up..

So I'm no closer to making a decision.. lol

I guess a better title for this discussion would have been.. "Which pump brand has a proven design they stick with and offer parts for"

I know it sounds lazy.. But I want a direct drop in obtainable replacement pump when it comes time to replace!

Sort of like the simer Mini-Vac Utility Pump. We use them at work and the design hasnt changed as long as I can remember.

Thanks

1997 Ram ctd 4x4 5 speed 3.54

I went with a Flow Jet variable speed pump 12 years ago and have had 0 problems with it, I can't remember the model number. The only time it makes a lot of noise is when something gets up against it.

Denny

x2 great pump

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, LISAP said:

I have a shurflo 2088-403-144 model and it just stopped working...not sure why.

Rebuild kits for that pump are available at most RV supply parts departments. There are reviews for several different pumps on Amazon's website. 

Check new pump pricing at a farm store, like Rural King etc. They have the same pump model numbers at a lower cost than an RV store.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Boutdone said:

it was not clear if  an accumulator was necessary with this pump, could someone clear that up please?

An accumulator is not really necessary for any RV water pump but I still recommend the use of them for several reasons, no matter what pump you have. The use of one will cause the pump to run less frequently and sometimes it helps to quiet the operation. It also removes the danger of excessive pressure in the water lines if your water heater should lose the air bubble that is normally in the top of the water heater because it will then allow for expansion without a significant increase in pressure.

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

An accumulator is not really necessary for any RV water pump but I still recommend the use of them for several reasons, no matter what pump you have. The use of one will cause the pump to run less frequently and sometimes it helps to quiet the operation. It also removes the danger of excessive pressure in the water lines if your water heater should lose the air bubble that is normally in the top of the water heater because it will then allow for expansion without a significant increase in pressure.

Mine is a 2G steel tank with air bladder, the original got a busted bladder, the replacement was $39. I will not have any RV without one now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We can flush the toilet during the night and wash hands, and the pump will not cycle on unless it is done twice.

Be sure to mount the 2G accumulator tank upside down(air fitting on top) in an RV, otherwise there is no way to drain it for winterizing. My tank came pre-charged with the correct air pressure.

Edited by Ray,IN

• 1 year later...

The Shurflo water pump gave up last weekend in our 2013 Cyclone 2812 and I do not see the model number being available anymore. It is an Extreme Series 5900-0201. Has anyone replaced this model? If so do you have any recommendations on any other Shurflo’s or maybe a better brand to go with?

Edited by hardy23

1 hour ago, hardy23 said:

If so do you have any recommendations on any other Shurflo’s or maybe a better brand to go with?

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Doing a search on the 5900 series pumps, there seems to be a lot of failures on them reported. They are no longer listed in the Pentair/Shurflo catalog and reports confirm that the 5900 series is no longer available. Page 15 of that catalog does show some parts availability. It was listed as a 5.7 GPM pump so you probably should find a replacement of some similar flow rate pump but there seem to be very few RV water pumps that have anywhere near that volume of flow. You do need to be very careful about the working pressure of any pump that you replace it with and most RV systems are only rated for 60# and tested to 100#. Typical RV water pumps have a shut-off pressure between 45 & 55#. There are very few pumps listed which have flow rates above 4 GPM but Kolerflo pump does have one at 5 GPM. When we were fulltime I did have a potable water pump with a 4 GPM rating that served us well for all of our nearly 12 years living in that RV. As it happens it was a Shurflo pump but I don't recall which one. I do recall that the output pressure was 45#. 

It has been a while for me on this subject but wanted to share that my conversion of a highway bus to RV about 12 years ago, included a variable flow paired with an accumulator tank. I had an accumulator tank and a standard water pump in our houseboat, and it was great. However, after burning out two pumps in the bus conversion, I called the manufacturer. They pointed out that in the installation literature, it warned that variable speed pumps are not meant to be hooked with an accumulator tank. Replaced with a standard pump and all was well.  As I recall the variable speed pumps sense the back pressure of the accumulator and the result is bad. Too long ago to quantify what "bad" was. Your result may vary.

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT