battery hook up question

GlennWest

Do any of you have 16 Guageish wiring on grounds with in line fuse? I do. Found one of them was wrong. Remote sensor for alternator was on ground and had fuse. It goes on positive for alternator reading charge. I have corrected with a new alternator, bummer, but have one more on ground with fuse.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The electrons in a DC circuit actually flow from the negative pole to positive. Most folks believe it to be opposite (pos to neg). Fuses or OCPD (over current protection devices) are usually placed in the positive side of a circuit since multiple grounds are often needed to reduce circuit noise, also simply by tradition and for shock protection. In a DC circuit with only one possible ground placing the OCPD on the negative side is perfectly acceptable, though somewhat unusual. Anyone on here remember automobiles that had the POSITIVE terminal of the battery(s) connected to the chassis GROUND? :huh:

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Anyone on here remember automobiles that had the POSITIVE terminal of the battery(s) connected to the chassis GROUND?

Old British cars

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Positive ground 6 volt systems were more or less the standard procedure prior to the mid fifties. . Studebaker used 6V positive ground from the 1930's until switching to 12V negative ground in 1956, the same year Ford did the same thing. Lots of heavy duty trucks prior to 1960 used positive ground systems of various flavors.

Series parallel switches with the starting circuit on either 12V and the rest of the system on 6V, or later 24V starting with the rest of the system on 12V.

I had a 1974 White Road Commander(the company Volvo bought) with 4 6V batteries, 2 of them in series, then those 2 in parallel for a 12 V system.

Nothing was uniform. Because of the ever sophisticated electronics, the truck manufacturers are tinkering with 36 V systems, but the customers are not ready for it.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Anyone on here remember automobiles that had the POSITIVE terminal of the battery(s) connected to the chassis GROUND? :huh:

I once walked into my shop to find my brother-in-law fussing with a neighbor's Farmall Cub. Every time he connected the battery, the motor would start turning over, even though the switches were "off". The generator was spinning the motor backwards.

Kids..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Yup- Had a JD 40 for years. Aggravating to work on but if it every popped (fired) once it would catch and run.

It's not just the "old" stuff that's goofy. I have "updated" my Deere tractors, from 2-6v in series, to 2 or 3-12v in parrallel, along with new cables, more, and better, grounds. I did my 4wd back in '07 and still have the same batteries. It spins better than when it was new, in 1976.\

My 1949 Farmall Super "A", otoh, still has a single 6v, pos. ground, and works fine. Little motor, and little compression.........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Yup- Had a JD 40 for years. Aggravating to work on but if it every popped (fired) once it would catch and run.

Still have the 4020 with a turbo 120 plus hp. converted to 12 volt (it got old trouble shooting with 6 and 12 volt together). It's great around the barns or in a pinch!

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Jim - that is actually in the operators manual. Look in the 'starting after long storage' section. It says to pull the fuse and roll the engine for a few seconds. Builds oil pressure and runs it through the bearings.

Thanks, I did not know that. I thought it was just another way Volvo makes you cuss in the pouring rain trying to replace batteries in a NAPA parking lot!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived