5th Wheel driving instructions

StarBound

I will soon be retiring, selling my house, and buying a 5th wheel. I would like some driving instructions and it appears the dealers do not offer that. I am looking for someone to educate me on the finer details of handling my Rig. Thanks

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and will do our best to support you.

There are several RV driving schools but they do require you to provide the RV to learn in and you will need to get your RV to the location of those schools. The RV Driving School is a commercial member of the Escapees. Another such business is the RV Training School and also RV Driver Training is another. In addition the RVSEF has an RV Driving Safety program.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would sure try an internat search for RV driving schools

in the Phoenix area. When I got my first fiver, a 32 footer, I had not driven any trailer

except bumper pulls of 18 feet or less, it was a lot easier to tow the fiver then a bumper pull.

Fivers pull so nice, you just have to remember to swing wide. I am very sure that you will do fine.

Good Luck

2011 F250 LB CC Diesel RWD

2015 Wildcat 327 ck

boy I should take on of those course's, when I pull into the campground, you should get some lawn chair's and sit back and watch the show it's going to be a long day, lol

If you like that show, you should go to a public boat ramp. That is really were the fun is.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Push come to shove you could go to a basic semi-truck driving school or at least find a truck driver to teach you, if you can drive a semi you should be able to drive a FW.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get the fifth wheel into a large vacant parking lot you could learn a lot about how the unit backs up and how the truck operates. You just need some place to practice to learn how to maneuver the 5th wheel and gain some experience and confidence.

I have pulled all kinds of trailers and pulled a 5th wheel for several years but never had driven a motor home of any size until I purchased a 43 foot motorhome three years ago. You will learn fast.

i would suggest the RV Driving School. The map shows instructor's location. Find one near you and arrange a lesson.

The instructor will take you through the safety, lights and brakes before you drive anywhere. Then its time for driving with the instructor. Lessons are two at 4 hours each. You will be tired after each lesson.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Archived