Steering box

GlennWest

I had kingpin bushings replaced, 4 wheel alignment done. Wow , what a difference. Still have some play, not real bad though. It is coming from the steering box. I am considering replacing it. Anyone done this? Looks simple job but it also looks heavy.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Don't know about the Freightliners, but on some of the Volvo steering setups, you can adjust them. Its a fairly simple to do- loosen the locking nut turn set screw in XXXX times, back screw out XXXX turn, tighten locking nut.

There use to be several topics here but it looks like they are all gone now.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I did a search and nothing came up. Mine has no adjustment, at least not externally. It's not real bad but enough that if you hit a spot in road that would move the steering it will due to play in it. All that is in resource guide is drag links. All my suspension is good now. 4 wheel alignment done. I just want that looseness gone from steering. Want new feel. That will be a re manufactured box.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

RandyA did a good write up on the "lash" adjustment in his steering box last year if I recall. Maybe he will chime in. On edit found it. Maybe it could be added to resource guide.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=109970&hl=%2Bsteering+%2Bbox+%2Badjustment

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Well after reading that link believe I will go back out there and look again. I and Glenn at Truck Alignment in Huntington looked and didn't find one.

Well after reading that link believe I will go back out there and look again. I and Glenn at Truck Alignment in Huntington looked and didn't find one.

Maybe you will be lucky and have an adjuster rather than having to replace the whole box. Might be a lot cheaper. I say might because when I try to do some of my own projects, I end up costing myself more in the end than just replacing. :). Remember back in the 70's replacing a torn diaphragm in a brake master cylinder and could not get the spring loaded front cover to go back on. Three hours later threw it on the floor and beat it senseless with a 12 lb. sledgehammer. Had to go to a salvage yard and buy another assembly. Was too poor in those days to buy new. Glad age gave me a little more patience.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Found adjustment. On backside. Hole in frame for access. Older I get the more my brain just don't work sometimes. Sorry guys. Turned in about 1 turn. No play now. Turns good lock to lock. Will test drive later.

For future reference it takes a special puller to remove the arm from the gearbox. Of course with your skills you can build a puller. It was worth the $300 to have mine changed out. I supplies the rebuilt gearbox. Mine had a severe hemerage measures in gallons of fluid per mile.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Be very careful adjusting the lash in a steering box. There is a proper procedure and it must be followed for long term safety. Each brand is different. The play could be caused by worn bearings interior to the box, and over tightening the lash will cause failure on the road. It happened to me. Most pinion gears in these boxes are not a true arc and must be centered when the worm is tightened against it. The end play is also important to adjust on most boxes.

Be very careful adjusting the lash in a steering box. There is a proper procedure and it must be followed for long term safety. Each brand is different. The play could be caused by worn bearings interior to the box, and over tightening the lash will cause failure on the road. It happened to me. Most pinion gears in these boxes are not a true arc and must be centered when the worm is tightened against it. The end play is also important to adjust on most boxes.

I've heard the same. If you take out the lash in the center you risk binding/breakage/failure at the extremes. Hundreds of thousands of miles traveling mostly straight. Most wear is at the center.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

What happened to me, the end bearing, the one the steering shaft rides, failed with a bang. I was on the road with two and a half turns of wheel play right to left. My fault trying to get more from old wrecks.

It is fine thread adjuster. I turned it not over 1 turn. It tightened some when I locked nut down. Adjustment was 3/4 and it moved on tighten. That why I stated about 1 turn. It had a little play at 3/4 none after I tightened down.

Archived