First time smart loading

zipposrv

Not really. Just be careful. Double check everything. No one should stand in front of the car. Make doubly sure that the line is in the pulley's correctly.

I assume you have watched the loading video's.

Try to make sure you are on a level "plane" before loading....or that the ground rises on the car side (less angle on the deck and bottom of ramps).

Most important - take your time.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you're winching the car up the ramps, watch for the cable rubbing the deck when you first hook up. Depending on the angle that Jack mentioned, we may drive the Smart up the ramp a foot or so to raise the cable off the deck. Some people put a piece of HDPE plastic on the deck for the cable to glide over. This all depends on your setup and may not be necessary, just look out for it.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

A plastic load corner protector works for the cable, the slot in it fits over the T handle of the ramp compartment.

Make sure the car is perpendicular to the deck or it will load crooked and will hit one chock at the back before the other.

Be careful the underbelly doesn't catch on the deck bolts. I put a pce of 1/8" thick angle iron in the ramp hinge to reduce breakover angle.

Don't load with the truck deck out of level so the car runs downhill backwards when going onto the deck.

Thanks everyone, do I need anything to the car itself. We have a tow bar for the back, and will be winching it on.

Safety is always first, as my husband is an owner operator, that specializes in over sized loads.

MAHEATH

I'd use a pulley on the back bumper then run the cable from the winch thru the pulley then back to the winch or A frame. It will take the jerkiness out of the winching and slow the load speed by 50%, giving you more time to check and/or adjust things as the go up the ramps.

Well, everything went as planned. Just a few more things to finish up, them off to Yellowstone for the summer. Thanks for the input.

Where will you be in Yellowstone? We are going to be heading through there in early June.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Generally when we winch a wheeled something we set up a bit of a lean if possible so the winch has tension the whole distance, loading or unloading to keep the wheeled something under winch control at all times...

if that makes sense

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived