Lost a belt tensioner

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

We were having a nice day on Monday traveling between Savannah Ga. and Charleston Sc. and decided to have breakfast at a Waffle House. Jacolyn was driving and as she was backing the rig into a spot an alarm went off and displayed a STOP on the DID and a picture of hot (once you see it you will know what a picture of hot looks like) . We shut her down and while we had breakfast I considered the problem. I decided we had probably lost a fan belt and when I opened the hood I discovered that the lower fan belt was not missing. We still had it but it was in hundreds of much smaller pieces and no longer turning the fan to cool the engine. I says to myself 'self' (that's what I call me when I'm talking to me) you have a replacement belt so put it on. Further inspection while removing the pieces showed that I no longer had a bearing in the idler pulley. About now a trucker walked over and looked and then asked where we were going. He told me that it was open road and only 3 stop lights to where we were going. So we started off and drove the last 60 miles without a belt and the air flow kept the engine cool until we got to the park. Alarms went off again just as we pulled into a spot and shut down. So if you lose the belt that runs the fan you can still go a long way as long as you keep moving.

Of course you can't just replace the pulley you have to replace the entire tensioner and they are pricey. And no I did not replace it myself. It was the lower one. I attempted it but close spaces, few tools and much blood convinced me to go 10 miles down the road and let the truck shop do it for me. Vonda is back home now with a new tensioner and 2 new belts and all is well again.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Brad,

The same thing happened to me a couple years ago while heading to Brackettville, Texas. Going through some small towns on Hwy 281, the engine would heat up, but on the open road, at a reduced speed,(55 MPH) it would cool down. I stopped at a state park 50 miles North of San Antonio and made the repair. I had the tools, and the extra blood! Not much room to make the repair unless you remove the radiator, which I didn't want to do. It would have been easier to drive to the shop, but I wasn't sure it would stay cool enough, but after reading your post, I now think it would have. My bad. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Roll down the windows, and run the heat full blast. It's all about removing BTU from the glycol system. Old-time farmer crutch.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Same thing happened to us last month at the ECR. I was much happier having somebody else make that repair instead of me (so are my knuckles).

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Wow! Must be a lot tougher on those green engines--just did mine, and it was super easy on the ISX. I didn't mention it in my post, but you could feel the slop in the pulleys even with the belt on. Might be something to check every now and then.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Roll down the windows, and run the heat full blast. It's all about removing BTU from the glycol system. Old-time farmer crutch.

Been there and done that. Of course, the hotter it is outside, the higher you turn up the fan. We've had a few old cars in our day and DW never quite appreciated this "fix".

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

We, too, had a belt tensioner lock up. First sign: a loud screeching noise when engine was cold and we were starting out at low speeds. Being a dumb cluck Volvo novice, I figured it might be some strange noise HDTs make. A little later the air conditioner stopped cooling. Most annoying. And expensive. It’s taking us awhile to learn what various noises mean, what’s normal and what’s not, and sometimes I long or the quiet F450 we had, but I get over it.

2001 Volvo 610 HDT with Smart Car bed and ET Junior hitch

2007 New Horizons Summit 38

2013 Smart for Two

2012 Easy Racer Tour Easy recumbent bicycle

"There is no path. Paths are made by walking." – Spanish poet Antonio Machado

Rick I'm glad that there is someone else out there that saved their knuckles. I bleeded enough for both of us before sending it to the shop (and that was in then first 5 minutes). I know that we would have changed the top one ourselves but that bottom one is a different story.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Rick I'm glad that there is someone else out there that saved their knuckles. I bleeded enough for both of us before sending it to the shop (and that was in then first 5 minutes). I know that we would have changed the top one ourselves but that bottom one is a different story.

Brad

It was a pretty easy decision. Once I asked for the book time and his hourly shop rate ($75/hr and 1/hr) it did not take a rocket engineer to figure out what to do .....

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Doesn't that belt drive the water pump on Volvo engine? 60 miles is a long way to go without coolant circulating.

Agreed. It could be OK, but you have no way of telling what cylinder wall or block temperatures are (maybe some secondary indication with oil temperature gauge though).

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

On a Detroit diesel Series 60 the water pump is gear driven. Don't know about the various Volvo Engines. I could cut all the belts on a Detroit and still carefully get to a repair shop.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Near as I can tell it only drives the fan. I watched carefully and the engine ran right about 172 degrees right where it normally runs and only slightly higher when we hit the stop lights.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Archived