D16 Injectors

bmzero

In case anyone was wondering, a 6-pack of injectors for a D16 is $4600 from Volvo.

I dropped my 730 off at the dealership to diagnose my fuel pressure leak. It was isolated to being in the head. After pulling the injectors, one was bad. I opted to change out two more that were close to out of spec. The other three were good.

So, I got to work extra early today so I can pay for my repair bill. :angry:

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Guys with the Volvo motors remember to ask the parts guys about the "new style" injectors.

It really only helps to go to the "new" style if you have to replace all 6.

According to info that is available these new injectors have a longer life span than the "older" style.

Just something to keep in mind when you are talking to the service manager about your injectors.

Start adding to your "piggy bank" cuz those other three injectors may not be far behind.

Did they happen to tell you how they determined a good injector from a bad one?

Do the injector "cups" get changed with new injectors?

Guys with the Volvo motors remember to ask the parts guys about the "new style" injectors.

It really only helps to go to the "new" style if you have to replace all 6.

According to info that is available these new injectors have a longer life span than the "older" style.

Just something to keep in mind when you are talking to the service manager about your injectors.

Start adding to your "piggy bank" cuz those other three injectors may not be far behind.

Did they happen to tell you how they determined a good injector from a bad one?

Do the injector "cups" get changed with new injectors?

You're right about the new injectors. However, if these last 600k miles like the originals, I'll be fine with them. :D

Apparently, there's some kind of test they put them through outside of the truck, which is why they had to pull them out. They actually hook them up individually to test, I believe. I didn't ask a lot of questions as I was trying to regain consciousness while getting up from the floor.

Yes, they change the cups with the injectors.

Britt, Bummer on the injectors but now you are good to go without that pesky fuel pressure leak. How have you decided to store your ramps ? Charlie

Charlie, I cut some new parts yesterday that solves the ramp storage problem. It also allows me to build some very high quality ramps (14" x 16') and store them "interlocking" in the ramp cavity. These ramps will use 2"x3" .25" wall aluminum tubing. They'll be great for loading the Smart or even significantly heavier vehicles if necessary, as I will probably rear-load some RZR XP4 1000 race cars at some point (for transport w/o 5er).

2c99cf42-de3d-472c-b63b-5ed943d0579a-s.j

In case anyone was wondering, a 6-pack of injectors for a D16 is $4600 from Volvo.

I dropped my 730 off at the dealership to diagnose my fuel pressure leak. It was isolated to being in the head. After pulling the injectors, one was bad. I opted to change out two more that were close to out of spec. The other three were good.

So, I got to work extra early today so I can pay for my repair bill. :angry:

Was the $4,600 parts and labor? (hopefully).

$765 / injector... criminal

That is a little high, but an ISX injector is somewhere between $500-700 depending on source, OEM, core, reman, etc. On the other hand, an ISM injector can be had for around $300-340 (reman).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

bmzero - I have a D16 engine. What were the "faulty" injector symptoms? That is, what did the engine do or not do that was irregular?

I was losing fuel pressure. Driving, it wasn't noticeable. Idling, it would surge and was pretty obvious. I did not expect to need to replace 3, though.

I was losing fuel pressure. Driving, it wasn't noticeable. Idling, it would surge and was pretty obvious. I did not expect to need to replace 3, though.

How did you know you were losing fuel pressure? Is there something in the diagnostics center?

Idle surging! Oh krap. Smetimes mine surges at idle! I call it a loping idle.

How did you know you were losing fuel pressure? Is there something in the diagnostics center?

Idle surging! Oh krap. Smetimes mine surges at idle! I call it a loping idle.

At idle it wasn't a smooth sound. It would start with a little hick-up, and in 4-5 minutes it was sounding like a hit & miss engine with a miss.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

At idle it wasn't a smooth sound. It would start with a little hick-up, and in 4-5 minutes it was sounding like a hit & miss engine with a miss.

Right, and if I idled the engine up, using the cruise control start/stop switch, it would run pretty badly.

I don't know if these conditions are necessarily tell-tale signs of bad injectors, though.

Archived