How can I tell what I need in a cell phone?

I bought a cell phone 2 years ago that didn't have a compass. I didn't know this and I found out one of my app would not work. Luckily I discovered this when I could return the phone.

I am looking at a new phone now. I managed to bend some pins(I think) when switching sim cars to go to a different carrier. Even my old sim card isn't recognized in the phone.

How do I know what software/hardware my apps need in a phone? I don't see any place where any app says this, this and this must be on your phone. When I discovered Dish Pointer needed a compass(not an app compass) I couldn't find that documented clearly anyplace.

I went to Phonearena and did a comparison of the phone I am looking at and my current phone(more or less). I now know the differences but don't know if they impact me and my apps.

The 2 phones I am comparing are the Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Cricket Samsung Grand Prime. I have the S4(not working) and would like to switch to the Grand Prime.

Storage S4-64G builtin storage Prime 8g-builtin storage(I have a sim card for storage)

Data S4-LTE Cat 3(100/50) Prime LTE Cat 4(150/50)

Volte S4-Yes Prime- blank

Navigation S4-Yes Prime-turn by turn navigation,voice navigation(we have a gps, not sure this is important)

Wi-Fi S4-802.11 a, dual-band,ac Prime

Other S4-MHL,ANT+,infrared Prime

Sensors S4-Gyroscope,Thermometer,Gesture,Humidty,Barometer Prime-Hall

These are the differences, everything else is the same for areas that I care about. Screen and camera are of lower resolution but I don't think I really care(especially the camera).

I have no idea as to what is needed on a phone. We do use Google Maps, Gas Buddy, Iexit and 2 speed limit apps plus Dish Pointer.and Satfinder. Is anything in the above list critical.

Thanks

I stick with iPhone. Download any apps I need to use.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

OK I just purchase them. Maybe someone else more techie can help. I've been using iPhones for 5 years and they always have compasses etc and run all my apps.

Maybe a trip to your carrier store front or Best buy to bend the ears of those techies might help

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

No two phone users want the same applications. It is a very personal thing that varies with the user. I have far fewer apps on my phone than does my computer professional son and yet both of us are happy. I use a "stand alone" GPS so I don't run any of that type app on my phone, yet many here consider those to be vital. A great deal of this is also impacted by the amount of data that you have available to your phone. An app like the one from FaceBook tends to eat up a lot of data if you seldom use it, so I have removed it from our phones. Yet we know folks that use theirs constantly.

I do use Gas Buddy, a good compass, a calculator, an exit info, weather & radar, a photo app, internet news, an RV park finder, are a few of the ones that I use. If I were a vendor of apps I'd be happy to send you a list of vital apps to load and mine would be at the top of that list! :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I guess my frustration has been that the specs for a cell phone are not easily findable nor are the specs for apps. Having been burnt once I am twice shy about any new cell phone. I just talked to Gamestop which sells Cricket and the phone is returnable if it doesn't work, so that is a positive. I like the idea of Cricket since their phone can be used as a hot spot, the price of the phone I am looking at is $80 so that is good, Canada is part of the plan and i it is on the ATT network which we have been very happy with. I had also looked into Tmobile but there is no coverage where our S&B is so that is out for us.

I look at the cell phone as a mini computer. First thing I do is try to get rid of all the garbage they put on the phone that I am not interested in. Same thing with a new computer.

I guess my frustration has been that the specs for a cell phone are not easily findable nor are the specs for apps. Having been burnt once I am twice shy about any new cell phone. I just talked to Gamestop which sells Cricket and the phone is returnable if it doesn't work, so that is a positive. I like the idea of Cricket since their phone can be used as a hot spot, the price of the phone I am looking at is $80 so that is good, Canada is part of the plan and i it is on the ATT network which we have been very happy with. I had also looked into Tmobile but there is no coverage where our S&B is so that is out for us.

I look at the cell phone as a mini computer. First thing I do is try to get rid of all the garbage they put on the phone that I am not interested in. Same thing with a new computer.

$80 for a phone when you can get a new iPhone from $399 up to $949. :D

AT&T iPhone deals with a 30 month contract. :(

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Here's a site which will list the specs for cell phones http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_bionic_xt875-3710.php

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Cricket is month by month which is always less. For $10 additional a month I get 10G of 4G for tethering, I think up to 10 devices. Monthly plan is $50-$60. And it is good in Canada and Mexico. Plus it runs all my apps. Samsung Grand Prime. I am going to get it today. I would even had paid more if I could have figured out what a more expensive one would give me but no comparison charts and none of the more expensive ones said they had a digital compass which I needed.

This one doesn't have a high megapixel camera but then I don't use the phone camera much. I like my high end DSLR for photography.

I kept my last cell phone for 4 years, it was 8 years old when I finally got a new one. My daughter gave me one of her old ones and I was perfectly happy with it for my first cell phone.

I honestly don't see why people pay the price for an Apple phone and other stuff. I have always felt they were way overpriced and I don't see any technology from them to warrant it. My sister-in-law just bought the I7(latest?) and she just uses a phone for calls. Not one app, nothing else. Just needed the latest and greatest.

I looked at the GSMarena and the Phonearena sites for specifics. But I don't know how/what the vendor has put on/changed on the phone. I like Google Mail, Messenger, Calendar and Contacts. I will need to add them to the Samsung as it comes with its own versions. I would reallylike to by a stripped down phone without all the fluff they put on. I noticed on my newest computer there is a lot less fluff, about time.

The leaks, rumors and reports are already ramping up, although the iPhone 7 probably won't arrive until late 2016.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I like having a Google Nexus phone, since both the 5X ($299 on sale right now) and 6P ($449 on sale right now and what I have), will work on all networks. My phone has a Verizon SIM in it, but I could change to AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, any prepaid brand, or a SIM from another country, and the phone will work.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I think that has been normal for a few years. I don't think the vendors are allowed to sell locked phones anymore. None of mine have been locked for at least 3-4 years. The Iphone my daughter gave me I unlocked and it worked fine on Net10.

I think that has been normal for a few years. I don't think the vendors are allowed to sell locked phones anymore. None of mine have been locked for at least 3-4 years. The Iphone my daughter gave me I unlocked and it worked fine on Net10.

That's not correct. Verizon is the only carrier which is required to sell their LTE devices unlocked.

However, what Bill is referring to is a phone which has radios for all carriers and is sold without being intended for a specific carrier.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Except for the Iphne every phone I have had recently I have been able to just change the sim card for a different vendor. I have used Virgin, Net 10, Straight Talk and now Cricket and didn't change any phone. Only reason I bought a new one was my old one couldn't swim and drowned.

Except for the Iphne every phone I have had recently I have been able to just change the sim card for a different vendor. I have used Virgin, Net 10, Straight Talk and now Cricket and didn't change any phone. Only reason I bought a new one was my old one couldn't swim and drowned.

I'm not going to argue the point. If you want to learn about it, go here https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cell-phone-unlocking-faqs

Most cellular providers have agreed to unlock a phone after the user's commitment has been met. Some do so automatically, others have to be asked, some may even sell them unlocked. You stated that "I don't think the vendors are allowed to sell locked phones anymore". I believe that Verizon is the only provider which is required to sell their phones unlocked, due to an agreement when they leased air space for LTE deployment.

Archived