securing residential fridge doors when traveling and securing new fridge to rig

bags

Cabinate work is done, fridge is installed and running. I secured it to the floor in back by using two 2-inch L shaped brackets and it vibrates some when closing the freezer door. I am now second guessing my mounting method. My only option is to secure from the rear.

I have a design for securing the doors but I am not real proud of it.

Could residential fridge users share ideas for both of my issues?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Best regards,

JB

ps I am really glad to be out of the Norcold business/racket. What a way to destroy customer loyalty. Did I tell you my 3.5 year old Norcold ($4000.00 including tax, delivery & installation) died and needed a new cooling unit for 2500.00?

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

When I made the switch from the again failing Norcold to a residential fridge in 2014 I secured it to the floor with L brackets at each front corner and the back center. I also used industrial strength Velcro on the wood trim across the top and down the sides. So far, does not move at all.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

When I installed our 2-door residential fridge, I used a pair of ordinary window latches from Home Depot to secure the doors for travel. The only mod I made to them was to file down a small tap on the door pieces, since I was installing them backwards from their intended configuration. I don't know if something like it would work for your setup though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I did my Samsung last summer. A friend who needed to secure stuff in his job taught me this. "It's the first inch that matters." He showed me if I could stop the box from ever beginning to tilt, I might could stop the momentum trying to make it do that. We discussed several risk scenarios including rolling; but most of the risks were from collisions, turns, falling off road bed, and sudden stops. ,In each of those, the bad energy has a fairly short life. Plus, there are other places during that time the energy could dissipate than picking on the refer. I figured it was like lightning; if I could make the force take a path of less resistance, I could keep the refer in its hole.

So, how to stop the first inch,

The refer is bottom heavy by design. Its top is much more mobile than the bottom half. Because of that the bottom can very easily become a lever point. I could secure the bottom half to the floor of the compartment using L braces and some DIY stuff, and I did so, It's on wheels. One of my "first inch" tasks was to stop it from rolling out.

That done (like our OP here), I turned to the top. I have 8" above my refer because when I removed the Norcold, I carpentered a lower shelf to set it on. This gave me plenty of access to do the following. If you don't have access w the refer in place, you may be SOL. I installed 3 pair of 2-hole-per-leg L-braces to the sides of my cabinet. I took great patience to get the rear pair installed as solidly as I could given the thin wood. It is back there that I was,the most vulnerable. If I could stop the back of the top from ever lifting off, I win. The other 2 pair going forward are for additional help while the rear pair is struggling to hold the initial force.

I put some rubber padding bt the braces up top and the refer to stop road squeaks, but not too much. In things like this you want as much hard-to-hard contact as possible.

As an additional effort to stop the first inch, I installed a black, 2" footman's loop on both sides of the cabinet face. I then made a strap from 2" webbing, added a 2" Fastex buckle, and moved on. The strap runs bt the refer doors and the handles. I try to tighten it before setting off. I warn you this looks tacky. The black webbing matches my black refer; but be prepared to make Momma choose between style and security.

2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38'

425 Cummins, 4 slides, tag

2014 4-dr Jeep Rubicon

Here is a link to how I installed and secured our frig.

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/mybigboomer/library/Residential%20Frig%20Install

As for securing the doors during travel I made a 12" x 24" plywood horseshoe or U and wrapped it in microfiber. The U faces down and slips between the upper doors and drops into the lower drawer handle to lock everything in.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

My Samsung is bolted to the floor plus a few brackets at the top. The doors are secured with a simple horseshoe made from plywood and covered with felt that slides between the two vertical doors and is long enough to go over the bottom freezer drawer

I secured the bottom (rear) of the unit to the floor with some heavy brackets.

I then removed the upper door hinges and secured a piece of 18" flat bar UNDER the hinge - NO drilling. I then gave the flat bar a 90 degree twist and secured the opposite end of the bar to the wall of the enclosure with several lag screws. Holds it VERY secure.

As for securing the doors I used four (two for the frig and two for the freezer) of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Closet-Stainless-Steel-Latch/dp/B00ARADQR2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Secured with VHB 3M double sticky tape:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-4950-VHB-Tape/dp/B00CC146DM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Still holding strong after more than 15,000 miles.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

We used a book wrapped in a microfiber cloth wedged into the handles of the double door. Velcro alone would not keep the doors closed.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We have a side-by-side fridge and use two 18" Gear Ties to secure the doors. One would probably do the job, but we feel better using two.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We put one each of these on each door. Wasn't sure if they were needed til I forget to latch once and dumped everything in the frig into the floor. http://www.amazon.com/Chest-Spring-Loaded-Toggle-Length/dp/B00HR69P92/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1460686928&sr=8-4&keywords=chest+box+latch

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Another word of caution....

I had a can of soda fall off a shelf hitting the hinge for the left side door flapper (probably not the correct name) breaking the tab holding the spring in place. I purchased some cheap curtain rods at Wally World to keep thing from falling off of the shelf - seems to be working well.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

We found the spring rods not very effective. We use smaller plastic crates (like 6"x6") to put items in and create a barrier allow the front of the shelves.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We found the spring rods not very effective. We use smaller plastic crates (like 6"x6") to put items in and create a barrier allow the front of the shelves.

We use both plastic crates (kept the bins out of the old Norcold and a couple of old ice maker bins), AND spring rods. Together we can control pretty much anything, and the bins make loading/unloading much easier.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We use Velcro wrapped around the twin door handles. We used adhesive Velcro on the side of the fridge and freezer door with a Velcro strap to connect the two. We have not had the fridge doors open on any windy roads, however, I came into a 45 MPH corner at about 40-43 or so (obviously a little too fast) and the velcro did not hold on the freezer drawer and it slammed open. The fridge didn't move or shift from that jolt so I figure the way it was mounted worked out well. When we modified/built the new floor for the fridge we used 3/4" plywood and 2X4's so it's pretty solid. Screwed the fridge to the floor and used the old top mounting straps, from the Norcold, to hold the top of the fridge in place. It's been two years and we have not had problems other than the one I mentioned above. We use spring bars in the fridge to keep stuff from moving too much and that has worked well so far.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Problem Solved. I took out the L brackets and installed a 20" piece of 2 inch 1/4" angle on the base of fridge secured with 4 self tappers and one 1/4"SS bolt and nut. I secured it to the floor with lag screws. As for securing the doors I used a 48' flat bunge strap from top to bottom of the wood frame. Fridge is rock solid and doors are secure. Thanks for everyones help.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Archived