Camera system

GlennWest

Looking at this system. Know I will need longer cables. Will call him. Is this a good choice? Any changes you in the know would make? Ordering this week likelyhttp://m.ebay.com/itm/10-QUAD-FOUR-CAMERA-REAR-VIEW-BACKUP-SYSTEM-REVERSE-SAFETY-CAR-TRUCK-SUV-RV-4-/271245286497?nav=SEARCH

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Well I put it in there but looks as though it didn't stay in. Will have to fix morrow. Don't know how to post a link on phone. Tried but just don't work. Sometimes I hate a cell phone

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

It is a 10 inch monitor with a 4 camera system. Night vision. Costs 650ish. If search on Levitions site for 6-800 price pops right up. Sorry but best I can do on stinking phone

Glenn, we all know Steve. Many many many of us have dealt with him. He is a good guy to deal with, knowledgable, helpful, etc etc etc

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Glenn, I'm using that system, but with the 9" monitor. I bought it before he switched to the 10". The system is pretty good. Not as good as a Voyager...but very close. Way better than comparably priced systems I have compared it to.

For video feeds you have two general "locations". One is the entire truck, and one is the entire trailer. They are typically handled differently.

For the truck, I simply run all the cables into the drivers storage compartment and sort them all out there. I run a single line to the dash that carries all the signals...when I say single line, I mean a single cable, not a single wire. I use security cable - generally a 9 wire cable. I cut and splice all the video signals into that, from both the truck and the trailer. I simply solder them on. In the past I've used terminal blocks, but it is unnecessary and takes more room and is a point of failure. I've also built RCA blocks there - put plugs on everything and plugged them all into the single cable. All of that complicated things and makes repairs more complex. Now I just solder them into a permanent connection. And never have any issues. Just make sure you test everything before soldering it all.

This 9-line cable carries all the truck feeds and all the trailer feeds to the dash area. In my case, three from each source, so I have three spare wires.

The trailer video gets to the truck across a standard 7-way umbilical. I pass power, ground, and have space for 5 video signals. I do not use sound.

The power/ground is used with a relay in the trailer to trigger the cameras in the trailer. They all go ON/OFF with a signal from the truck. It can be ignition, or it can be a separate switch. In my case a separate switch that also powers my dash convenience outlets (for computers/tablets/GPS, phone charging, etc) and powers my tire monitor. That way I power all those things independent of the truck being on or off. They are all tied to a switch in the dash (lighted switch). This is done because I can sit in the truck, program tablets, phones, etc, and also look at tire state without turning the truck on. You just have to remember to turn it off.

So anyway, back to the power/ground in the trailer. The signal comes from the truck....and that causes the trailer relay to turn on the cameras in the trailer. Power for the cameras comes directly from the trailer battery system.

I have a splice location in the main compartment of the trailer and an extra umbilical in the hitch area. Like in the truck, I simply cut off the ends of the camera cables, separate the video, power, ground, and splice it all together. Solder everything AFTER testing.

Now, in the cab area of the truck I have all the video combined on the security cable. If you only have four inputs to the monitor you can just direct wire them. But we have more, so I use a video switch (in my case I made it from a rotary 6-way switch, but you can buy them) to switch three of the sources onto one of the monitor lines. The other three lines are direct wired.

This may be hard to visualize. I think the presentation HERE has some of this laid out.....look around slide 19.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

Great explanation! My system just runs the four camera cables up under the dash and connects to the break-out cable supplied with the monitor. The switch I bought will fit in the Din slot below the radio. I will wire the camera's that I use the least to the switch and then to one of the four monitor inputs. I like having the sound from the camera's. I am trying to post a picture of the switch from my web storage and keep getting this when posting. Hmmm!

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." :unsure:

Glenn we'll be back in NO sunday if you want to see my setup. It's the 10" screen with 4 camera's. Wiring is easy. Each camera wire comes to the pinbox, gets combined into a single cable. That cable connects across to the truck as a coil type wire that plugs into a receptacle. From there it's a single cable to the dash. The camera on the truck also runs to the dash and is connected to a harness that plugs into the monitor

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Glenn we'll be back in NO sunday if you want to see my setup. It's the 10" screen with 4 camera's. Wiring is easy. Each camera wire comes to the pinbox, gets combined into a single cable. That cable connects across to the truck as a coil type wire that plugs into a receptacle. From there it's a single cable to the dash. The camera on the truck also runs to the dash and is connected to a harness that plugs into the monitor

Jim-

I will come by tomorrow (Thurs) to check out your system :-)

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Rick, I'm interested in your switch. I've been using home made ones, but that gets tedious at times.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack, can't post pictures from picasa anymore....just trying to figure out some different options. The move to google photo's that they are forcing us to do is not as friendly as picasa was. :(

This is what I get now on the forum trying to post pictures.

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Here is a link to the switch

Thanks, Rick....

www.jackdanmayer.com

How are yall positioning your cameras at rear of coach for viewing. I find when towing there is a blind spot at rear of coach. At least was with dually. Haven't towed Teton yet. Would like to eliminate blind spot and see backing also. Can this be accomplished with 2 or do I need 3 at rear of coach.

My trailer cameras are:

1. at the front left side wall
  2. at the front right side wall, both far forward on the gooseneck portion
  3. rear top center of cap.

With that setup you can see everything. My truck cameras are at the hitch, on top of the drom, and on the right side by the mid turn indicator. This allows complete vision around the truck.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I'd like a look, am in an RV park North of Covington and have Sat pm as well as Sunday an Monday off.

My trailer cameras are:

1. at the front left side wall
  2. at the front right side wall, both far forward on the gooseneck portion
  3. rear top center of cap.

With that setup you can see everything. My truck cameras are at the hitch, on top of the drom, and on the right side by the mid turn indicator. This allows complete vision around the truck.

So you are using 6 cameras? Was going to get 4. I want one on hitch that I can turn to watch Smart like you have. Could that double as a back up hitch instead of a separate cab mount? That would give me a third for rear of Teton. Didn't want to use separate switch. Simplicity and not cheap thoughts here.

I have a rear licence plate camera that I use more than I thought I would. It is nice when backing up bobtail ..... I can get pretty close and has a wide angle to see off to the sides. The one camera I have to add is the passenger side front trailer and I like the one David did in the front hood mirror.

Here is the link to that camera.

So you are using 6 cameras? Was going to get 4. I want one on hitch that I can turn to watch Smart like you have. Could that double as a back up hitch instead of a separate cab mount? That would give me a third for rear of Teton. Didn't want to use separate switch. Simplicity and not cheap thoughts here.

Sure, Glenn, do it any way you want :) Nothing magic about what I have done...it is simply what I have settled on, and I do change it from time to time.

I do like the high rear view from my drom, because it shows everything around the rear of the truck from "above"...a better view than the hitch camera. But try it the way you want and then change it if you need to....

www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack,

Does your multi-conductor cable use twisted pairs, one pair for each camera? Or does the cable contain multiple coax cables? I'm not familiar with what type of cable the camera video feeds are meant to run on, but generally CCTV video should be carried by 75-ohm coax, such as RG-59/U or equivalent. If you're using standard non-twisted-pair multi-conductor cable, I am curious how noise-free the video signals are. Obviously whatever you're doing works; just curious what we can get away with as far as cable types. Your powerpoint mentions "9-wire security cable"...

Pete

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

What good information. Thanks for sharing. Answered many of my questions.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Archived