Contemplating full time

Fadskier

The numbers alone don't tell the whole story . . .

For example, the Paynes are both 52 and have grandfathered health plans -- a high deductible ($10,000) PPO with $0 co-insurance, included annual physicals, and a national network of coverage through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kentucky. It also has a Health Savings Account (HSA) feature.

They pay $388 per month -- for both of them.

I think the majority of the posters in this thread are on Medicare, military healthcare, or an employer health plan. The cost of these plans compared to buying your own individual plans today is . . . Apples to Oranges.

Just we wary when you look at the "Health expense" line of a full-timers spreadsheet.

Absolutely... Both of us are covered under a employer provided health plan(BC/BS) that we carried over into retirement. The yearly premium for both of us would be 16,304.64 of which we pay 5209.44 per year or 428.12 per month that would show up on our monthly budget. Big difference 428.12 vs1358.72.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

WOW....This forum is very interesting as i'm also thinking bout going fulltime rving. I'm just starting out with my research, i'm looking at trucks,5th wheel toyhauler, to carry motorcycle, and i'm wondering if i'd be able to do this..(little background). I'm a single 54 male with no kids, i live on my own, do own a hose which i would sell.. I work in construction as a heavy equipment operator in the upper midwest thru a trade union, most of my work is in the spring-fall seasons..winter less productive..so i'm wondering if i did this move if i could spend part of the year in upper midwest and then leave to travel to warmer climate to..Like i said earlier, i'm only 54 so i still have at least 13yrs before retirement would enter the picture..I do have health insurance so no problem there.., I would have some debts with me..any feedback would be helpful.....(thinking at least a yr before i'd be able to do this...have to sell house first among some other things...Thanks Robert

I'm just starting out with my research, i'm looking at trucks,5th wheel toyhauler, to carry motorcycle, and i'm wondering if i'd be able to do this..(little background). I'm a single 54 male with no kids, i live on my own, do own a hose which i would sell.. I work in construction as a heavy equipment operator in the upper midwest thru a trade union, most of my work is in the spring-fall seasons..winter less productive..so i'm wondering if i did this move if i could spend part of the year in upper midwest and then leave to travel to warmer climate to..Like i said earlier, i'm only 54 so i still have at least 13yrs before retirement would enter the picture..I do have health insurance so no problem there.., I would have some debts with me..any feedback would be helpful.....(thinking at least a yr before i'd be able to do this...have to sell house first among some other things...Thanks Robert

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums. It is always nice to have new folks join us here. Your timing is especially good since the club in the midst of a big push to gain more younger, still working members. If you dig a bit you will discover that the Escapees RV Club was begun by a group of construction workers who followed their work, living in RVs and seeing the country at the same time. Over the years the average age has crept upward to where the majority of members were retired, but now that the younger generation of the founding family are involved they are expanding services to reach out to working folks on the road more, just as was the case in the early days. Let me suggest that in addition to participating in these forums, you may also benefit from the website of X-scapers which is the new site for working folks who are part of the Escapee family.

I really see no reason at all for you to not be able to do as you are considering but do feel free to post any questions, comments, or remarks to any of our forums and to any existing conversation. You will probably get best answers and most information if you start a new subject when you have any specific questions, but we are here to help new folks, just as others helped all of us when we were just beginning. Welcome!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I work in construction as a heavy equipment operator in the upper midwest thru a trade union, most of my work is in the spring-fall seasons..winter less productive..so i'm wondering if i did this move if i could spend part of the year in upper midwest and then leave to travel to warmer climate

Welcome! My concerns are "less productive" and "trade union". Will your union allow you to go south for the winter? As a Minnesotan I sure wouldn't want to stay up here in a 5th wheel in the winter. But, I know less than nothing about Unions and what that might mean to your plans.

Also, most RV and other parks up here close Oct 15th though April 15th so be sure you have a place you can park for spring and fall.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Your timing is especially good since the club in the midst of a big push to gain more younger, still working members.

Fascinating, as Spock would say.

Out of the three "Escapee states" (SD, TX, and FL), only FL has a decent full timer health plan available for those under 65.

Are all these "young uns" being directed to FL?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Zulu: You might want to get on the Xcapers web site of Escapees and ask that question as to how they get medical insurance. It would be interesting to know what they actually do.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You may want to consider purchasing a small apartment and renting it out to cover most of the payments. The big problem with full timers is that they soemtimes have nowhere to go once they are too sick, old & stupid to drive anymore. mY brother in law moved permanently to mexico 5 years ago and lives like a king on $1500 a month from government pensions and sale of a house back home. He pays $300 a year for medicare there. His house taxes are about $100 a year. If I was not responsible for a mentally hancapped son, i would do the same.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

Welcome! My concerns are "less productive" and "trade union". Will your union allow you to go south for the winter? As a Minnesotan I sure wouldn't want to stay up here in a 5th wheel in the winter. But, I know less than nothing about Unions and what that might mean to your plans.

Also, most RV and other parks up here close Oct 15th though April 15th so be sure you have a place you can park for spring and fall.

Linda Sand

well thanks linda for your insites, they are much welcomed..as for the the union ..yes i can work in other local, and as for winter time i would plan to travel to warmer climate..

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums. It is always nice to have new folks join us here. Your timing is especially good since the club in the midst of a big push to gain more younger, still working members. If you dig a bit you will discover that the Escapees RV Club was begun by a group of construction workers who followed their work, living in RVs and seeing the country at the same time. Over the years the average age has crept upward to where the majority of members were retired, but now that the younger generation of the founding family are involved they are expanding services to reach out to working folks on the road more, just as was the case in the early days. Let me suggest that in addition to participating in these forums, you may also benefit from the website of X-scapers which is the new site for working folks who are part of the Escapee family.

I really see no reason at all for you to not be able to do as you are considering but do feel free to post any questions, comments, or remarks to any of our forums and to any existing conversation. You will probably get best answers and most information if you start a new subject when you have any specific questions, but we are here to help new folks, just as others helped all of us when we were just beginning. Welcome!

thanks kirk for your info...i'll keep looking at as much info as possible as one can resonably get.,

Since you have never RVed before, the cost of an RV can be high, especially if you buy new. You might want to ask another question regarding buying used to discover the ins-outs of the type, size, floor plan, etc, that you eventually want to end up with. For a first time buyer to buy new, and then discover after 1000 miles they don't like the model, can be a big financial blow.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Oh yeah. I have a friend who had an RV dealership, he says lots of trade ins are less than a year old. Often they are things like triple axle 5th wheels with a porch, or a 45 ft Class A. The new owners soon find out they can't find hardly anywhere to camp in them unless they pay big bucks for an upscale resort that can handle the size.Unless you plan to spend all your time in places where its winter, the rule of thumb is get the smallest RV you can live with and don't have to climb over each other to get into bed. If you plan to get a class A, go to Mexico & get a job as a bus driver for a year, those guys can manoeuvre a bus into any tight space, LOL.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

Archived