Replace propane regulator

propanefitting.jpg

I need to replace the regulator, but as shown in the pic, I can't turn the thing as it's too close to the wall. That feed pipe is not going to move much. Other than the obvious of having to loosen the fittings underneath to be able to move it, is there a trick to this?

Looks like a pretty standard RV design, put together with no thought to repair or replacement.

About all you can do is try to loosen the pipe enough to get room to spin the regulator assembly off the pipe and a new on. You might want to look at adding a union to the pipe when you put the new one on, making the next repair a bit easier.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

against a stiff steel pipe?

Yep the stiff steel pipe will move. Anyway looks like your only option. Hopefully this will allow enough room to rotate the regulator. Good luck.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Does the pipe bend 90 degrees and go toward the rear of the rig? Thinking if there is a pipe brace after the turn, loosening it might allow enough bend. Had a similar problem once and loosening the second brace( in addition to what Darryl said) allowed the whole assembly to move fairly easily.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

Pull those screws out of the top of the regulator and you probably have some clamps holding the pipe to the frame, The bolts on the clamps are more than likely rusted up so take a grinder with a cut off wheel undernieth with you. One maybe two brackets should let the line flex to where you cab unscrew yourself ;)

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Are you SURE you need to replace it? Often a regulator requiring reset is all that is needed. I'd check that 1st if you are not familiar.

propaneleaking.jpg

I think so. See that brown ooze? This thing stopped doing its auto-switchover about 5 years ago, and, it's 2002 OEM. It's not leaking yet, but I don't want to wait for that.

Does the pipe bend 90 degrees and go toward the rear of the rig? Thinking if there is a pipe brace after the turn, loosening it might allow enough bend. Had a similar problem once and loosening the second brace( in addition to what Darryl said) allowed the whole assembly to move fairly easily.

It does bend, and the brace is welded to the frame. This could be tricky..but I may get lucky and the pipe will bend more than I think it will.

Ok this will be tricky!

Do you feel you can completely test your system for leaks once you are done and do you know how to run test on operating pressures after you change the regulator!

If not take it somewhere to have it done!

The piping system will need to be pulled apart and put back together and what is a regulator reset.

The regulator in your system is a very cheap pressed throwaway regulator known to leak!

I have worked in the LP industry for 38 years and presently work in the safety department for a major lp dealer.

Take it to someone that knows what they are doing!

Oh good Gawd unscrew the Dayam regulator put teflon tape on the threads of the new one screw it on and get some soapy water and squirt fittings and look for air bubbles!!! and no you dont need to do a water column test installing a new regulator

Jim Spence

Teflon tape is really not recommended for gas lines due to the small pieces of tape that can and do break off.The float down stream with the gas and can cause either a blockage (like on a pilot) or worse yet a valve to not close completely by getting under the seat causing a constant leak. Pipe dope is the recommended product.

However, I agree with Jim n Sue. It is a simple thing to do. Try taking the screws out of the bracket and see how much you can move things. It may surprise you.

You're absolutely right ..Slap Me for not thinking !

Jim Spence

Naw, I won't do that. You are probably bigger than me and it would hurt more when you retaliated! :ph34r:

Naw I,m a skinny ole fart and my legs can't stand to see the rest of my body get hurt :blink:

Jim Spence

I think I'll be ok.

Removed two screws holding regulator. Nothing will move away from wall. Found pipe strap at bottom of pipe before it enters vent hole. Removed that, then the whole thing sorta fell down about an inch or two. Now I can pull the reg. away from the wall enough to turn it. I'm not doing that at this time as I'm dry camping in some pretty good heat, and I don't carry a pipe wrench, and if I screw it up I'll be in trouble. I'll be back home in a month - I'll tackle it then when it's not critical.

That steel pipe is really a bugger to lift back up into its original position. I didn't see any dire need to do that, so I lifted it best I could, drilled a couple new screw holes and put 'er back online. When I actually do replace it, I can use a bottle jack...very carefully.

Just exploratory surgery today. Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully you do know every time you move a gas line you can create leaks somewhere else.

Do a complete system test to be safe! Good Luck on the surgery!

Hopefully you do know that every time you move you RV you can have screws come loose somwhere !

So check to make sure you have no screws loose :P

Cluelesswood you are aware a propane line gets moved everytime a fresh bottle gets hooked up ?

Jim Spence

I would like to think that someone with an RV would be smart enough not to check for leaks with a match just because someone told them too. And step by step instructions !! Nobody has told him yet to shut the propane off before taking off the regulator WTH Trying to blow this place up ? :blink:

Jim Spence

• 2 weeks later...

I would certainly hope they don't check for leaks that way. I have :blink:!!! Anyhow, since the tanks need to be removed to replace the regulator I would say there is a pretty good chance the gas will be off. I have a story about how 'smart' some people are. True story, I was working for a propane company and happened to be on call that weekend. Since it was a nice Saturday my wife and I decided to go fishing. We no sooner got the boat in the water and my pager went off. Sure enough, someone was out of propane for their water heater. He elected to get a 100lb bottle and get things going himself. I told him it will take a while to purge the air and allow at least 10 minutes of purging with the pilot button held down before calling back. About an hour later I could see a big cloud of smoke just north of where we were. He claimed I told him to take the line apart and allow it to run 10 minutes before lighting the pilot. You can guess what the outcome was.......... He tried to blame me for burning his house to the ground......... :rolleyes:

I too would hope they do a proper leak test Yes they flexed the line only a little but that little can create a leak.

Been testing gas lines for 38 years and seen too many leaks!

Jim n Sue response reminds me of the the Tim the tool mans response when they replaced a hot water heater in a house!

Al ask about the leak test and then the house blew up!

Touch it test it!

• 3 weeks later...

As usual - always such good shared advice offered here! Thanks.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

• 3 weeks later...

Archived