Jackalopee ?'s

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about wiring my Jackalopee. The board on my Jackalopee does not look like the same board on the instruction pages. I will try to describe. In the upper left corner there is a tab for the ground wire. Just to the right of the ground tab is the LED for the brake level. Then to the right of the LED is a tab for +12v switched, under that tab is a tab for +12v direct, and then under that tab is a tab marked BRK CNTRL.

My questions are as follows. I am wiring in a Hayes (air actuated) controller. The truck has 12 volts going to the blue wire marked AUX went the key is on. I would like to do method # 1 if possible. Does the blue wire from the truck go to the tab marked +12v switched or to 12v direct ? Then it looks like the blue wire coming from the brake controller goes to the tab marked BRK CNTRL. Am I on the right path ? I am some what confused because the board in the instructions is different from the board on my controller. How do I test the brake circuit coming out of the Jackalopee to see if things are working ? Can I test the circuit by pulling the manual lever on the brake controller ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Alan,

PM sent.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

My bad, the Jackalopee board has been upgraded but I haven't redone the manual. Yes the new Jackalopee looks like this.

Jackalopee%2Bcropped.jpg

If you are not going to plug the blue truck wire (+12VDC with key on) into +12 AUX (pin # 7) and use it to charge your batteries, plug the blue wire into the +12 DIRECT tab (second from the top), life will be good.

Brake controller goes into the third tab from the top BRK CNTRL (thin line from that goes to the brake control led). Pushing manual lever on the Hayes should light that led.

My bad, the Jackalopee board has been upgraded but I haven't redone the manual. Yes the new Jackalopee looks like this.

Jackalopee%2Bcropped.jpg

If you are not going to plug the blue truck wire (+12VDC with key on) into +12 AUX (pin # 7) and use it to charge your batteries, plug the blue wire into the +12 DIRECT tab (second from the top), life will be good.

Brake controller goes into the third tab from the top BRK CNTRL (thin line from that goes to the brake control led). Pushing manual lever on the Hayes should light that led.

Hi Henry,

Thank you for the help. I can now finish the Jackalopee. I was hoping that if I use the manual lever on the brake controller that the LED would light up.

I hope everything goes good with your replacement surgery. See you some time down the road.

Al

This is a very timely subject. Will be wiring mine next week.

Glen,

You should not have a problem doing the wiring. I got a good tip from Jim of Jim & Alie. Jim suggested using terminal strips to help with the wiring. The terminal strips can help with trouble shooting if there is a problem. I used terminal strips rated for 30 amp. The way I used the strips were, the wiring coming from the truck went to a strip then with short wires from the strip to the Jackalopee. I used a total of two terminal strips. One for the truck wiring then the other for the trailer. I placed my Jackalopee and terminal strips mounted to 3/4 plywood on the back of the storage compartment. Jim was a big help to me by using different e-mails.

Good luck with your project,

Al

I always wire the rear feed with terminal strips in the drivers compartment. On both the input and output sides of the Jackie. They are useful for testing purposes, and also for taping into the feeds. For example, my drom box is fed with the output of the Jackie AND the "pure" brake light from before the Jackie. Why? So that I can have a separate STOP lamp (not combined with turns) on the drom box. I have three light stips - outsides are combo stop/turn/marker. Center is stop/marker. Having the terminal strips makes it easy to do. It is also a good source for triggering relays for various things....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Glen,

You should not have a problem doing the wiring. I got a good tip from Jim of Jim & Alie. Jim suggested using terminal strips to help with the wiring. The terminal strips can help with trouble shooting if there is a problem. I used terminal strips rated for 30 amp. The way I used the strips were, the wiring coming from the truck went to a strip then with short wires from the strip to the Jackalopee. I used a total of two terminal strips. One for the truck wiring then the other for the trailer. I placed my Jackalopee and terminal strips mounted to 3/4 plywood on the back of the storage compartment. Jim was a big help to me by using different e-mails.

Good luck with your project,

Al

I took the idea from Jack, Mark, Roger (Hewhoknowslittle), and several others. Made wiring real easy.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I took the idea from Jack, Mark, Roger (Hewhoknowslittle), and several others. Made wiring real easy.

Here is a picture of mine,

First box is wiring in from truck, then to the Jackalopee

Second box is wiring out to bed, from the Jackalopee.

Third is extra, connections I need, including wiring to and from the brake controler.

P1040216_zpsdnms1whh.jpgP1040115_zpsvzehru4t.jpg

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived