Campground res. tips

mesa

If not the right forum please move if you need to. Looking at getting into some state park campgrounds (ridgway state park)and it seems to be very difficult to get the sites I want, do you guys have any tips or tricks for this or is just the luck of the draw.Thanks

Mike Foster

2020 Transcend 221RB

2017 Chevrolet 2500 HD

20190920_161514.jpg

We gave up on most state parks because all of the good sites are reserved the first few days in January for the whole year - then if people don't want to go for that weekend, they cancel later, long after other plans have been made.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We found the best way to get into state parks to be arriving just after their cutoff time for holding reservations. Lots of people cancel or just don't show up then we get the spots they had reserved--often the best ones in the park. But you have to be comfortable with not getting in if it doesn't work that day at that park.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you mean Ridgway State Park, in CO then I would suggest that you get on the internet now to lock in the dates that you are looking for. It looks to be "first come, first served" as is the case in most state parks.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Reservations are accepted at this park.

When did you want a site? I just now put in July 11 for 4 nights as a test and there are many sites available.

We've stayed there in September with no reservations and didn't have any problems.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We found the best way to get into state parks to be arriving just after their cutoff time for holding reservations. Lots of people cancel or just don't show up then we get the spots they had reserved--often the best ones in the park. But you have to be comfortable with not getting in if it doesn't work that day at that park.

Linda Sand

X2. As Barb mentioned as well, some folks sit and wait until the reservation system opens up for the year (10 months in advance for some States and reservation "opening" dates may vary... Jan-March) and then make reservations en mass for the entire year in order to get their preferred locations and dates. A good number of them will be no-shows, or they reserved a block of sites, but only a few in their block actually get used.

Reservations are accepted at this park.

When did you want a site? I just now put in July 11 for 4 nights as a test and there are many sites available.

We've stayed there in September with no reservations and didn't have any problems.

We are looking at Sept. Which does not open up for reservation until 6 months out. But I have been reading of other parks and campgrounds selling out quite quickly. I was hoping that Sept . would be a good month to get in. Thanks to all who replied

Mike Foster

2020 Transcend 221RB

2017 Chevrolet 2500 HD

20190920_161514.jpg

Any of the parks that are in close proximity to Denver, or probably any of the larger towns will fill pretty quickly and even this one probably will for long weekends but I'd doubt that you would have much problem in September, after school has begun again. But if you know when you want to be there, just reserve ahead of time and you should be in good shape.

We do go to state parks in our travels and have had little problem in getting into most of them. When near larger towns it is least problem if you go midweek, and reservation systems vary widely from one state to the next. Most of us who qualify for the NPS senior card prefer federal parks mostly because they cost less in general and with the senior cards they are half price.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't know if it is still the same but the TX state parks I volunteered at would take reservations but not for a specific site. True enough some reserved far in advance for certain weekends/holidays and if they were not going to show the penalty was only the cost of 1 nights stay and the reservation fee if they didn't show up. They felt this was worth it to guarantee they had availability for popular high usage time periods. One place had 355 sites but some were only for a short rig like a tent camper or maybe a Casita size. If the popup came early they would often claim the larger site and there was really no way to deny them as they were a paying member of the public just like the big rig. Sure caused us some heart burn sometimes though. The moral is get in as early as you can on your day of maybe even rent a site a day or maybe 2 ahead if you really need it.

You need to find out when sites become available for reservation. A phone call often works. Then on the day and at the exact second they become available you need to be online and reserve the one of your choice.

See below from the NPS site for reserving in Yosemite.

Reservations are required from about March 15 through November for Yosemite Valley's car campgrounds and summer through fall for Hodgdon Meadow, Crane Flat, Wawona, and half of Tuolumne Meadows. Campground reservations are available in blocks of one month at a time, up to five months in advance, on the 15th of each month at 7 am Pacific time. Be aware that nearly all reservations for the months of May through September and for some other weekends are filled the first day they become available, usually within seconds or minutes after 7 am! For your best chance of getting a reservation, be sure your clock is set accurately and start the first few steps of the reservation process atwww.recreation.gov before 7 am Pacific time.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

I work as a volunteer at Custer State Park every summer. Most State Parks in South Dakota allow you to make reservations up to 90 days in advance. Because Custer is so popular we allow reservations up to one year in advance. July and Aug are very busy months and you should reserve your site as close to one year in advance. Sept is a good month, not as busy, kids back in school, and the weather is still good. Except for the last weekend in Sept which is the Buffalo Roundup, there are many empty sites available at last minute notice. You can always call and if someone canceled their reservation that site may be available with only days notice.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Trust me...you won't have a problem getting a site at Ridgeway State Park in September. It's a huge park and as I said earlier, when we were there in Sept. there were many, many open sites. There are also many large sites available. If you feel you want a reservation just call and see when you can make one. It's a beautiful area in September. Have a great trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived