List For Towing 4 Down

Every year the Good Sam group publishes a Dingy Towing Guide in the "Motorhome Magazine" and it is then made available on their website afther one year. Visit this link and you will find all of the recent back issues available for downloading. For makes/models that you may wonder about you can also check those by make & year at the REMCO website for free as well. They make kits to enable towing of many of the vehicles that must be modified to be able to tow them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Lots of people rely on the FMCA dinghy list which you can find here: https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing/204-towing-guides-towing-four-wheels-down.html but you do need to be an FMC member to access it. Alternatively, I have found the Remco website to be highly accurate. Not only does it provide info on vehicles which can be towed 4-down, it also provides info on mods to other vehicles to make them capable of being towed that way: http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

One other way is to go to a site that sells towing equipment like Blue Ox http://blueox.com/ If they don't list a baseplate most likely it can't be towed.

As docj posted Remco is a good place to They make their money making cars towable and if they can't they will say so. He has posted the link.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Beware of Ford Fiesta's!

We bought one because it's an "Automatic" that can be towed 4 down per Ford. (for the DW).

Unfortunately we didn't search on line for problems with them and we've been Ford's test bed for transmission fixes. They all have the same problems, so much so that parts to fix them were on 3 months back order at one point .

The transmission isn't an Automatic it is a 6 speed computer controlled geared transmission with 2 clutches. The clutches start rattling then they start hesitating and lurching.

We bought a 2012 new and at 20,000 miles it had all the rattles and lurches but we had to wait 3 months for the parts, so at 30,000 miles they "Fixed" it. It came out worse than it went in so it went right back to them and they blamed a "Driveability" service mod that should have been done. They also said the computer had been reprogrammed so we had to drive 1500 miles while it "Learned" our driving habits. By that time we were on the road fulltiming and the transmission soon was as bad as ever. We spent this last winter in Casa Grande and immediately took it to the Ford dealer. They said they had to reprogram the computer AGAIN and we had to drive ANOTHER 1500 miles for it to learn before Ford would let them look at it. Finally they took it in and agreed that the transmission was bad again and they would repair it under the warranty that Ford have extended out to 150,000 miles on the transmission.

We got the car back had to drive YET ANOTHER 1500 miles of earning and now we're waiting t see if it is really fixed.

They told us the parts supplier had been changed (surprise).

The car has 45,000 miles on it 10% of which has been "Learning", it's on it's 3rd set of clutches.

So BEWARE of Fiestas.

We have friends with the same problems on theirs so it's not an isolated problem.

Hope this can save other people a heartache.

Me? I'm so bloody minded I'll probably roll up to the Ford dealer with it on a flatbed truck at 149,999.9 miles and ask them for another new transmission!!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

In order to locate all autos that may be towed, whether 4-down, or otherwise. We must use all the above referenced websites. For instance, Good Sam's list includes only those autos that may be flat-towed without modifications to the drivetrain, and as sconserl41 explained, there are exceptions in the list.

Your choices are much greater if you can tolerate driving a manual tranny vehicle.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 month later...

We bought a 2016 Hyundai Accent Hatchback manual transmission based on the FMCA approved list of vehicles but there seem to be times after we arrive at our destination or when we return home that I can smell a burning smell. I assume it is the transmission fluid but not sure. I'm pulling with the car in neutral and key on so not sure what the issue is but now I'm afraid I may be damaging the transmission. Any ideas?

thanks

curtis

A lot of people assume that because a car or truck has a manual transmission it's towable 4-down. In some cases the transmission gears ARE NOT touching the transmission fluid, so you don't get the splashing effect for lubrication. That burning smell may be because the gears are getting really hot without the engine running the transmission pump.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Here is a answer for the hijacker Curtis. :)

Sometimes when towing. Road rubber can be tossed up on the engine or exhaust pipes.

Then when driven you can get a burnt smell from that rubber.

From Remco web site.

2016 Hyundai Accent ALL FWD I4 1.6L cyl 6-Speed Manual Manual
Notes
  • Towable as is without speed or distance restrictions. See Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
  • Follow prescribed towing procedures outlined in your Owner's Manual.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

thanks Biker56. sorry for the hijacking. I'm new to the forums so wasn't sure how to create my question. Your response on rubber causing the smell is interesting. I started trying to remember if I get the smell before or after I drive the car. I definitely remember after, not sure about before. I will definitely pursue that possibility. thanks for the responses!

One way to minamise smell in the car after towing is to put the air controll on recirulate so it isn't drawing exaust gasses and road smell into the car. As stated road film and bits of rubber will blow into your engine compartment and will have an oder after you start the car. I leave the controll in recirulate for a while till the car warms up.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Do your homework. We just bought a new car and I made sure it actually was suitable for flat-towing. We were leaning towards a Buick AWD- but- it requires pulling 3 fuses, one of which is 55A. What a hassle. The fuse disconnect switch from Roadmaster could be used to disconnect the two lesser amp fuses but such a switch to handle 55A would be huge to put inside the passenger compartment in these new vehicles.

DW looked at buying a new Jeep GC, but instead bought a new Lincoln MKZ, AWD for the same price. What turned her away from another Jeep is the new electronic gear shift which is not a gear shift at all. You have to look at the dash to see what gear you selected. Jeep has many complaints about not getting it in park right, and it rolling away after driver exits.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived