hdt year inspection?

GlennWest

How about it? Tried to search this but on phone and not working. It is registered as a motorhome. We just filled out necessary papers, picture and bingo tags and registration. Do I get it inspected each year like a car or truck?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Yes in Texas it is a regular vehicle inspection and not a commercial vehicle inspection. The commercial inspection is around $75 vs $15.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Glenn, How did you get it registered in Texas without already having a Texas inspection?

EDIT:
Just got an email with this link in it. Might help and don't forget, this will include your trailer also.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Annual inspection which must be done 90 days prior to registration renewal. So, when you get your registration you will want to set its expiration in the month when you might be back in the state. This way you can get it inspected in the 90 day window. Usually they will set the expiration month the same as your initial registration. It is possible to get that changed but they do have some limitations (computer) for when they can set the expiration month. For one of my vehicles I had to wait until the following year to get it changed to the month I wanted. The initial cost will reflect any differences (additional) i.e. prorated charges.

There are provisions for dealing with the safety inspection if you do not return to the state for more than a year.

Most likely you will need to find a place where you can drive the rig. While a few have found some that will come to them it is not the general procedure.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I assumed it had a current commercial inspection. I learned on the insurance deal not to say no more than necessary. I just went by the advise on this forum and no issue what so ever. I was just unsure about where to get it inspected when time came. So any car/truck inspection can do an HDT also?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

So any car/truck inspection can do an HDT also?

Yes, they can when it's registered as a Motor Home -- essentially the same as a Passenger Car inspection, since you're registered the same as if it was just a big, heavy car. If you take it to a place that primarily services HDTs, they'll try to inspect it as a Commercial Vehicle.

If you take it somewhere that says that they can't inspect it, ask them if they inspect class A, B, or C motor homes. If they inspect other RVs, they're qualified to inspect yours.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Most camper sales lots will inspect it. Just had mine inspected at Camping World. I do live in North Carolina though. Since it was transfered from out of state I did not have to have it inspected for the first year.Again, North Carolina laws.

Yes, they can when it's registered as a Motor Home -- essentially the same as a Passenger Car inspection, since you're registered the same as if it was just a big, heavy car. If you take it to a place that primarily services HDTs, they'll try to inspect it as a Commercial Vehicle.

If you take it somewhere that says that they can't inspect it, ask them if they inspect class A, B, or C motor homes. If they inspect other RVs, they're qualified to inspect yours.

Thanks, that is what I was wondering. Never saw one at a standard inspection station.

What Phil said.

They may not know that they can do it but it's where we need to go. You may want to go by and talk to them before driving there because they may not want to do it. Not sure they can refuse unless the vehicle cannot get into their facility.

The guy that does ours every year called to make sure from his Tx DPS contact and they confirmed that indeed he was supposed to do it.

The issue may be that they may not have a license to drive it, but it is the place where we go to get it inspected.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Glenn, I've had mine inspected at Motorhome dealers in several areas of TX. So just call and ask if they do inspections, and if yes, they should do yours. I had no issue with it after they understood it was not commercial and was titled as a motorhome.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I had one place turn me away because I had air brakes. I asked if I brought a class a in that had air brakes would it also require a co,redial inspection. Deer in the headlights stare. I went to Stouhals and they did the inspection I needed. They understood it was not a comercial inspection.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived