TOAD set up

maggie blair

I just left the RV shop and they quoted my 4300.00 for setting up my car and rv for towing. This would include Blue Ox towing gear, lights, and brake system. He also quoted me 1100.00 for a back up camera with a dual camera in the back.

Could any of you experienced people tell me if this sounds like the average price?

Thanks so much for your help.

Maggie Blair

It sounds a tad bit high, but if you're in California and the shop is selling you the parts retail, that's probably why. If you were to research and buy the parts online yourself and just have the dealer to the installation, that might save you a few hundred. Also, you might find less expensive combinations of brake systems and tow bars too.

But if you'd just rather have the RV shop do it all for you, it's not terribly out of line. I paid around $3300 for my system 6 years ago in Chicago -- bought all the parts myself and had the dealer install them. I have a Blue Ox baseplate, light kit, coiled power cable, 2 security cables (chains), break-away, and a ReadyBrute tow bar with integrated surge brake system. It works fine for my Class C towing a Chevy Tracker, but I yearn for the newer "wireless/invisible" brake systems offered today and the smaller/sleeker BlueOx tow bars (neither were available when I bought my system). If your quote includes those kinds of upgrades, it might be worth the added cost!

Lynne

2007 Winnebago View 23J

2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2

Blog: WinnieViews

Facebook Page : WinnieViews

That sounds a bit high to me also, but it has been a couple of years since I last priced all of that. My suggestion is that you take a list of exactly what equipment and labor the dealer is quoting this for and contact 2 or 3 others to see what they have to say. Price comparison is your best bet.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Maggie,

Time for on line shopping. Two camera systems are in the $450-600 range for a great system, 7" color monitor, two color cameras, day night viewing etc. I bought the Blue Ox tow bar for about $600, totaled when toad was rear ended. Car kit was $150. Mechanic charged $120 for install, 2 hours. Braking is an air cylinder from Blue OX for air brakes. So about $1500 for bits and pieces plus install. Figure that was 4 years ago and add some for inflation.

Good luck,

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

You can buy 6 different Blue Ox tow bars models that run from $625 to $800.

They are rated to pull from 6K to 10K lb. Which one were you priced?

Blue OX 2013 Honda Fit Base Plate $395

Wiring Kit $51 to $124

Brake system for Toad $879 to $1,249

So the parts needed can run from $1,950 to $2,568

Plus if a tow Hi-Low adapter is needed. $57 to $118

Plus Labor to install all.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

It sounds a tad bit high, but if you're in California and the shop is selling you the parts retail, that's probably why. If you were to research and buy the parts online yourself and just have the dealer to the installation, that might save you a few hundred. Also, you might find less expensive combinations of brake systems and tow bars too.

But if you'd just rather have the RV shop do it all for you, it's not terribly out of line. I paid around $3300 for my system 6 years ago in Chicago -- bought all the parts myself and had the dealer install them. I have a Blue Ox baseplate, light kit, coiled power cable, 2 security cables (chains), break-away, and a ReadyBrute tow bar with integrated surge brake system. It works fine for my Class C towing a Chevy Tracker, but I yearn for the newer "wireless/invisible" brake systems offered today and the smaller/sleeker BlueOx tow bars (neither were available when I bought my system). If your quote includes those kinds of upgrades, it might be worth the added cost!

Lynne

Thanks Lynne! I appreciate your help.

Maggie Blair

Maggie,

Time for on line shopping. Two camera systems are in the $450-600 range for a great system, 7" color monitor, two color cameras, day night viewing etc. I bought the Blue Ox tow bar for about $600, totaled when toad was rear ended. Car kit was $150. Mechanic charged $120 for install, 2 hours. Braking is an air cylinder from Blue OX for air brakes. So about $1500 for bits and pieces plus install. Figure that was 4 years ago and add some for inflation.

Good luck,

Bill

WOW, thanks Bill! I will definitely be online tonight. :)

Maggie Blair

That sounds a bit high to me also, but it has been a couple of years since I last priced all of that. My suggestion is that you take a list of exactly what equipment and labor the dealer is quoting this for and contact 2 or 3 others to see what they have to say. Price comparison is your best bet.

Good idea. Thanks Kirk. The dealer said he is going to a show in New Orleans and he might save me 300.00. That's still over 4000.00 for install etc.

Maggie Blair

I'm in the same position Maggie! Here in Northern California, my quotes ave been about the same 4300.00. Unfortunately, my car is not compatible with most kits and if I want to tow it they will have to use a universal "or the closest they can find to fit". Once they find it, they will have to "cut into the front end of the vehicle"......basically jerri-rig it to work. I have found that very few cars can be towed using fitted bars and equipment. My alternative is a Kar Kaddy Tow Dolly. Thanks to the members of this forum and their input, I have reservations about a tow dolly also. Also I'm not sure I want another vehicle. I'm considering hitch-hiking.

Q: Can you back up while towing a vehicle on all four wheels?

"Q: Can you back up while towing a vehicle on all four wheels?"

No, the front wheels of the toad will try to rotate and cause problems. Some have succeeded in backing up for a few feet on occasion, but others have caused damage to their car, tow bar or both. The horror stories are when they put someone in the car to hold the steering wheel straight and the person gets hurt when the steering wheel overpowers them.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thank you Bill! I'm a little slow (ha!), then I thought about the events that would occur an came to the same conclusion. For both four wheels and tow dolly. I guess if you find yourself in a tight spot, its easier to disconnect the toad versus unloading the car and tow dolly.

Thanks again! I had NO IDEA Bill! I posted the question about a tow dolly last month and received mixed input......I've just been waiting for the answer to come to me. I think the tow dolly will be the best for me, but I'm just a little trigger shy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This forum and community is AWESOME! I learn so much just reading and being a part of the community. I can't think of the mistakes I would have made as a rookie!

The tow dolly wheels can't turn, so you can back up with one attached.

That depends upon the dolly and the skill of the driver. One of the ugliest messes I have seen was caused by the attempt to back a car on a dolly behind a 40+ long motorhome. In theory it is possible. But there are also many people on these forums who will tell you that a car can be backed on a tow-bar as well and several you say that they have done it.

Thanks Kirk! As a private driver for many years I too have seen some ugly things when people are in reverse. The best rule of thumb I found is to not get in those predicaments. Look for your exit route before you even pull in when possible and always leave plenty of room in front of you. I speculate that a skilled driver can back up while towing but not too far before things get ugly. This is one of many reasons why I selected a coach under 34 feet.

I have always towed four down, so my knowledge of tow dollies comes from others and observation. When four down and tow dollies come up the idea that you can back up a tow dolly has been mentioned as a positive. I have seen others back up 5 to 20 feet with a tow dolly, so I thought it was common. Many do not secure the vehicle to the tow dolly that well and I could see the vehicle shifting position or even coming off when backed up.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...

I just set up my Jeep Liberty 2006 to tow behind my MH. I spent just under $2000.00 for all the stuff.

I would not do it for you for less than about $2000.00 so I think your quote is about right for your car.

I used to tow a Prius on a tow dolly (KarKaddy). I don't think I want to back a tow dolly or a 4 down car very far. Maybe a little adjust at a fuel pump or something like that but no extended backing with any toad setup. JMHO

John in Joplin YMWV

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

I tow my 2011 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4 down behind my MH.

I had 3 quotes for the setup I purchased.

(1) local truck/rv shop using BlueOx equipment including labor....$3100.

(2) Rv trailer hitch shop using BlueOx equipment including labor...$4100.

(3) Camping World using the other brand that they sell including labor...$5000.

This was after my Good Sam 10% discount.

All these quotes included the braking system and labor.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

That depends upon the dolly and the skill of the driver. One of the ugliest messes I have seen was caused by the attempt to back a car on a dolly behind a 40+ long motorhome. In theory it is possible. But there are also many people on these forums who will tell you that a car can be backed on a tow-bar as well and several you say that they have done it.

Kirk is very much on the money regarding backing up a tow dolly behind a motor home......

Without getting too "engneerizish" the real problem with almost all motor home / toads is that the dynamics tend get ugly from the motor home 'tail-swing" dynamics that is often beneficial when moving forward but becomes very a "non-linier-dynamic" when backing up......in other words the large tailswing tends to quickly jack-knife the short car dolly hitch arm (stinger) ........bad juju....in formal engineering terms......

Kirk has been to many "RV-rodeo's" and so he has seen a lot of things "hit-the-dust" and so his cut on this subject likely seems spot on.....

Now could "Grumps" back u the car dolly ........... oh ya he could .........but that would be another story so best just do as Kirk suggests.....,

Drive on.........(Our Dolly is a .......Paint Horse ( she backs up just fine))

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

2007 Kar Kaddy Tow Dolly on Craigslist for $1600.00 The seller states new tires and fenders. Also equipped with surge brakes.

Any insight or suggestions?

Why would the fenders need to be replaced? An accident or something? :unsure:

Archived