TOAD set up

maggie blair

The $4300. sounds about right if it's done as a first class job - that is, no micky mouse shortcuts allowed.

I think it was about $3500 for all the parts, including the toad-protector before I was done with my DIY installation.

The Jeep required some grinding on the frame in order for the tow bar to install correctly. All wiring had to be in sheathing and secured. It was a total custom job for both the tow vehicle and the toad. I'd have to charge at least $1000 to do the work for money - and that would be after I became experienced with it.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

It sounds a tad bit high, but if you're in California and the shop is selling you the parts retail, that's probably why. If you were to research and buy the parts online yourself and just have the dealer to the installation, that might save you a few hundred. Also, you might find less expensive combinations of brake systems and tow bars too.

But if you'd just rather have the RV shop do it all for you, it's not terribly out of line. I paid around $3300 for my system 6 years ago in Chicago -- bought all the parts myself and had the dealer install them. I have a Blue Ox baseplate, light kit, coiled power cable, 2 security cables (chains), break-away, and a ReadyBrute tow bar with integrated surge brake system. It works fine for my Class C towing a Chevy Tracker, but I yearn for the newer "wireless/invisible" brake systems offered today and the smaller/sleeker BlueOx tow bars (neither were available when I bought my system). If your quote includes those kinds of upgrades, it might be worth the added cost!

Lynne

Thanks Lynne.

Maggie Blair

The $4300. sounds about right if it's done as a first class job - that is, no micky mouse shortcuts allowed.

I think it was about $3500 for all the parts, including the toad-protector before I was done with my DIY installation.

The Jeep required some grinding on the frame in order for the tow bar to install correctly. All wiring had to be in sheathing and secured. It was a total custom job for both the tow vehicle and the toad. I'd have to charge at least $1000 to do the work for money - and that would be after I became experienced with it.

Thanks Rich. I am looking between a retail (Camping World) and a local RV dealer. They are both in the 4500.00 range.

Maggie Blair

Thank you for the offer John. Unfortunately, I don't think it would be cost effective for me to drive and pick it up.

Can you tell me if there is any special hook-up, coach modification or equipment that is needed for the KK SS?

I have a diesel pusher with air brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy 6 different Blue Ox tow bars models that run from $625 to $800.

They are rated to pull from 6K to 10K lb. Which one were you priced?

Blue OX 2013 Honda Fit Base Plate $395

Wiring Kit $51 to $124

Brake system for Toad $879 to $1,249

So the parts needed can run from $1,950 to $2,568

Plus if a tow Hi-Low adapter is needed. $57 to $118

Plus Labor to install all.

That sounds just like the quote I received plus they added the breaking system for the car and a couple of other things that were small. The places here are quoting around 4300.00 to 4500.00 for everything.

Maggie Blair

I'm in the same position Maggie! Here in Northern California, my quotes ave been about the same 4300.00. Unfortunately, my car is not compatible with most kits and if I want to tow it they will have to use a universal "or the closest they can find to fit". Once they find it, they will have to "cut into the front end of the vehicle"......basically jerri-rig it to work. I have found that very few cars can be towed using fitted bars and equipment. My alternative is a Kar Kaddy Tow Dolly. Thanks to the members of this forum and their input, I have reservations about a tow dolly also. Also I'm not sure I want another vehicle. I'm considering hitch-hiking.

Q: Can you back up while towing a vehicle on all four wheels?

I cannot back up without towing. LOL I am going to have the Blue Ox put on my Honda fit soon. It's spendy but I think it's best for me. I have been told it's an easy setup to unhook from and I need easy. :)

Maggie Blair

Why would the fenders need to be replaced? An accident or something? :unsure:

One of the problems with a dolly is it is wider than the track of the rear duels. It is easy to drag it down the rumble strip on the side of some roads and some of those can be quite rough. You can also hit the reflectors in some lane edges. I had to replace the tail lights as they cracked from vibration. I liked my dolly but like towing 4 down better.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I cannot back up without towing. LOL I am going to have the Blue Ox put on my Honda fit soon. It's spendy but I think it's best for me. I have been told it's an easy setup to unhook from and I need easy. :)

I think you will be happy with the Blue Ox I have ben really happy with mine. One simple trick when you are unhooking. Start your car and put it in drive, put just a little pressure on the tow bar. More of take the slack out than pressure. Then put it in park and when you hit the un lock levers you won't find yourself in a bind. The pins will come right out. Always put your car in park before you unhook it. I watched someone chase their car across a parking lot because it was a slight slope and it rolled because he forgot.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Archived