My name is John and I have a problem...

grendel

In another thread you talked about putting a 10-speed in it...did that ever work out?

There may be a little confusion... RB and I are always confused until the truck shows itself.

This truck, the green <T> got a 10 speed.

RB's got an Allison that was matched to the military spec Cummins 8.3L 6CTA. That engine got a little love, too.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug

yeah, i may confused things with posting my DiamondT in Johns DiamondT thread :P

but yes, John convinced me to try the MIL non-electronic Allison

after riding shotgun in his friends 5 ton (same 8.3 cummins/Allison) while flat towing "my" engine donor (what was another 5ton truck)....

20151024_115212_zpsjx5auowp.jpg

... i really liked how quick & crisp it shifted

(the MIL spec Allison is definitely not a slushbox)

i dreamed about a 13 speed for its tight ratio split ... but not about shifting it :wacko:

so we will see how the Allison works out

Johns combo of 650 hp 15 liter Cat & super10 is definitely another story ...

he will need a lot less physical shifts than i would need with a 8.3/13 speed combo

" Diamonds R 4 ever " driver.gif

"class of`95" Pete 379 "Toterhome": Cummins N14, Super10, single axle, 278" WB, 162" sleeper ... sold
current project; 1952 Diamond T, Cummins 8.3l @ 375hp/ 800ft lbs
, single axle, 239" WB, 1954 Spartan 137" air ride sleeper ....

full timing in a 39 foot "sticks & staples POS" Toyhauler (planing to build an all aluminum 42-45 foot replacement soon) ...

Doug

yeah, i may confused things with posting my DiamondT in Johns DiamondT thread :P

but yes, John convinced me to try the MIL non-electronic Allison

after riding shotgun in his friends 5 ton (same 8.3 cummins/Allison) while flat towing "my" engine donor (what was another 5ton truck)....

20151024_115212_zpsjx5auowp.jpg

... i really liked how quick & crisp it shifted

(the MIL spec Allison is definitely not a slushbox)

i dreamed about a 13 speed for its tight ratio split ... but not about shifting it :wacko:

so we will see how the Allison works out

Johns combo of 650 hp 15 liter Cat & super10 is definitely another story ...

he will need a lot less physical shifts than i would need with a 8.3/13 speed combo

Actually, I wasn't confused. Jealous, maybe...lol...?. You guys with your fabrication skills impress the heck out of me.

I worked for a charter bus company that had mostly old MCI MC8s and one MC9 with the Allison 754 and 755 (I think that's the right model #...most of them were 4-speeds, one was a 5-speed that would run 85+mph on level ground with a 318 Jimmy!). Adjusted right they are a pleasure to drive, for sure.

On the subject of the 10-speed, I was thinking it might have been fun to drop the one you had behind a warmed-up Cummins B 12 valve in a 90s Dodge pickup...

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Is an AC unit going on that roof, or will it be "basement" air?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I assume that since you're mixing aluminum and steel you are intimately familiar with Tefgel?

no , but POR and Sikaflex ;)

steel contact surfaces got a good coat of POR prior to assembly with Sikaflex adhesive/sealer

there will also be a consumable "anode" in a hidden place

full aluminum construction would be preferable ...

but we decided on a steel air ride subframe mainly for the reason that we could make it lower profile in steel

1978081d1446077041-diamond-jim-diamond-t

1978137d1446077141-diamond-jim-diamond-t

1978089d1446077041-diamond-jim-diamond-t

when deflated it is really hugging the frame ...

1978129d1446077141-diamond-jim-diamond-t

and another pic of the front pivot points (we used Peterbilt spring hangers with PU bushings);

1978121d1446077141-diamond-jim-diamond-t

"class of`95" Pete 379 "Toterhome": Cummins N14, Super10, single axle, 278" WB, 162" sleeper ... sold

full timing in a 39 foot "sticks & staples POS" Toyhauler (planing to build an all aluminum 42-45 foot replacement soon) ...

• 2 weeks later...

due to bitter cold weather the fabrication (and camping) came to a stop :wacko:

2093642d1453148473-diamond-jim-diamond-t

i`m riding out the cold spell in a motel room ...

next week is supposed to be a "warm" 40 degree ,

so we should be able to do a couple more things and hopefully move the trucks to a (heated) shop ^_^

RB I'm sure understands when I say this.

A lot of the desert crowd guys love to be the first one up the grades coming home. And I love to see them fly by me at the bottom of the hills just so I can turn around and Cruz back by with the truck hardly working while I hold up a cup of coffee.

Can't image what they would do when both of you guys go cruising by there 500k diesel pushers and super dutys with those two super cool hand built trucks?

Well, with 650hp, I should be able to blow by just about anyone I want to :)

Yeah, nothing like pure brute power.....as long as it does not blow up.... :(

I've been thinking of turning mine back up to 535hp......just because I can. I think I could go higher.....but not too much more with my radiator.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack......do you have a 20K or 23K rear axle? I know the engineers wouldn't let me have over 500HP even if I ordered the D16. So, D13-500/1850 it was. :) I did ask for the 600/2050 when ordering and they said something about ripping out the rear diff. :)

Hi RickS & Jack -

When spec'ing class 8's the cooling will be verified by the factory for the max operating conditions - for example full GVWR pulling 8% or more grade at 100F down in the low gears of the trans... the higher the road speed the truck can maintain at full hp the lower the cooling load due to the ram air moving through the cooling package and engine bay... your trucks should handle RV trailer loads easy peasy because the cooling / HP will be matched to your door sticker GVWR...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Jack's little U-Joint is going to be the thing that breaks first. I don't think I'd turn it up above 1650. Or maybe turn it back down before going to Colorado.

It's at 1850, and has been since the truck was built. HP from factory was 535, turned down to 515. I assume that did not affect the torque. 20K axle.

I realize the U's are the weak link. This was a heavy haul config and I believe it has heavier U's in it. But I'm not positive of that. In any case, I keep a good eye on them - it makes me feel better. Not sure it does anything else, though.

I don't really push the truck up the mountains. I generally let it stay in eco mode and don't kick it down. But I'll let you know when I am roadside in a mountain pass with no pulloff...... :( I'm sure you have been there. Coasting backwards to get off the road is always thrilling.

For what it is worth Volvo engineering said I should have no real issue with the rear axle being slightly overloaded. They did not comment on my torque setting.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Its that last one at the back that went in that was too small, but you didn't have much of a choice two years ago as the right thing just wasn't made. We should revisit sometime soon with a new thread with your detailed specs as they keep talking about making 39 spline ones in the bigger sizes now with all the downspeeding. One might be out now. Or at the least there are 2 more years of guys on here that could re-machine one of the existing large ones for a little science project?

Archived