what to do without MS Streets & Trips

doit2010

My 10 year old lap top had to be replaced with an new one and it came with Windows 10 and therefor MS S&T cannot be used anymore for planning, navigation or route planning and finding RV parks.

WHAT ARE YOU USING TO REPLAACE THIS??

2021 Winnebago 26t 27'1" LONG, TWO SLIDES, WALK A ROUNF BED  August delivery Picked up on the 8th

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (toad)

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

1st RV 2010 Wildwood 5er bunk house

2nd RV used 2001 Itasca Suncrusier

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

4th & finial RV 2021 MW 26T Ford 450 Chassis with the new 7.3lT V8

Google Earth is free and can do a lot of the same stuff as far as routes go. I use it to have a look at the next days trip options to get a good idea of the road ahead. I then use the trucks navigation as the guide when we get close to the destination or whenever I am in doubt about the route at any point. In most cases this works well however, a good wifi connection is preferable when using Google Earth as it can use up a lot of data. The maps app on a smart phone also works well.

Roy

2011 GMC 3500 SRW CC, SB, Duramax/Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG, 7000lb axles, Glide Ride, HD brakes, dual pane windows, 40" Panasonic, Magnadyne HTS, PD surge protector, etc.
Mods: 5 gal pressure tank, Motosat dish, plumbing reworked, inside steps storage, SeeLevel tank gauges, Rear view camera, major changes to basement.

I left MS Streets & Trips years ago for Delorme Street Atlas. I think the last copy of MS S&T I had was about 2007 or 2008.

I find it very difficult to use any online version of maps. If you have a slow internet connection it takes much too long to move the map along the route you want. Plus I would be consuming precious band width in doing route planning.

I also have a copy of Delorme Topo North America 2009 since we travel alot on the paved and unpaved back country roads.

However I do use Google Earth extensively to view roads, campgrounds and potential boondocking sites.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The last copy was 2013 and was available online. It was available but support became unavailable later. My search shows it still being available on line but don't know if the add is current.

I never used the support anyway.

It is easier to use what you are familiar with than learn something new. There may be better systems out there but some are more complicated to use. MS has issues I don't care for but it gets the job done.

As I asked earlier, is it possible to download the version currently on my computer onto a thumb drive and it could be used as a backup or given to someone else?

WHAT ARE YOU USING TO REPLAACE THIS??

I am using Windows 7 to replace Windows 10. :D

Seriously, even though I would not use Win 10 because no driver exists for my GPS, I tried installing Streets and Trips 2013 on my Windows 10 test machine and it appears to be working fine.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Something that I have been experimenting with (but not yet using for in-motion navigation) is HERE maps on my smartphone. What I really like is that I can download maps when I have good Wi-Fi Internet access and not use my limited bandwidth on the phone. I also do not worry about traveling through an area with no data coverage. Be prepared for a BIG download if you want the entire USA (about 4.5 Gigabytes). Fortunately you can download maps of individual states so you can grab only those that you actually need.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Loved MS streets and trips. I'm still using the 2013 version. Whatever package you used to install on your old computer shouls still work on Win 10. Tried using Delorme but I dont like the interface- seems overly complicated and not intuitve to me.Wish MS would re-release streets and trips

For basic trip planning MS Streets & Trips was hard to beat. In reality, the thing that happened to S&T is that road databases are no longer updated. Well we would never try S&T alone. There are times S&T is miles off, wrong side of the Interstate, or other flaws.

But the basic route can be planned. Where to stop at night, campgrounds near by. The details came when we entered the planned route into CoPilot, way more accurate.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Is it still available online? I found on for a 14 day trial but don't know if that is a current add. Also could I download it onto a thumb drive so I could drop it off on my way thru Sea, later this week?

I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago, and used the product key I had on file from when I bought it in 2013 to unlock/install it. I suspect you could download it to a thumb drive by using SAVE rather than RUN. But you will need a product key to install it.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I find it very difficult to use any online version of maps. If you have a slow internet connection it takes much too long to move the map along the route you want. Plus I would be consuming precious band width in doing route planning.

Absolutely. I don't care what it is, if I can't use it off line I do not want it on my laptop. Google Earth is about the only exception to that.

However I do use Google Earth extensively to view roads, campgrounds and potential boondocking sites.

I use Google Maps on my phone to check satellite views of campgrounds, fuel & food stops, etc. to ensure we can get in and out.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I totally agree to using offline mapping and other programs. Internet availability is always questionable and very unreliable. I try to make sure I have only PC based programs as far as possible. Same thing with apps on my phone, try not to be dependent on anything that needs the internet. I have a fair amount of paper backup also in the way of maps, mountain passes etc.

thanks for all of the information.

I am able to load MS S&T on my new computer that came with Windows 10, but it will not open, I get a licensing error code and even when into a MS Store in Bellevue Square to have them fix it for me and they could not make it work.

Question for AFChap:

did your new computer come with windows 10 pre loaded or did your new computer have 8.1 and windows 10 as a upgrade? On my desk top I upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and on the desk top I can still use MS S&T

One reason I liked MS S&T is because it would show RV Parks and Campgrounds, and to my knowledge none of the other software noted above will do that for you. I would map out the route I wanted to take and then I could look at the listed RV Parks and Campground along the intended route.

2021 Winnebago 26t 27'1" LONG, TWO SLIDES, WALK A ROUNF BED  August delivery Picked up on the 8th

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

I am a fan of CoPilot for smart phones & iPad etc. as you can pre download the maps and info when you have good/free WIFI. I have found it works very well.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I see a lot of CoPilot recommendations, after looking at CoPilot I see they offer many options. One being a trucker options with a vehicle description you can add as an RV, is the one recommended? Selling for $149?

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

There is the Trucker version which is what you need if your RV is over 13' high.

If your RV is 13' or less, then you get the regular version.

If you are using a PC it is CoPilot Live V8 Laptop ($100) or Copilot Live V8 Truck Laptop ($150)

If you are using Android or IOS, then the trucker version is ($150)

If you are using Android or IOS regular, then you start with the Free base. Then add the Premium for $5-$10. Then to get the best results sign up for the Annual ActiveTraffic $5-$20

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I use the less then $15 Copilot on a iPad & iPhone with Free map updates.

I don't recommend the Laptop version for the Car/RV or Truck version.

As the maps on them are way out of date(2-3 years) and only way to update them is to buy the new version if one ever comes out.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We still are using and will continue to use S&T 2013. No really new roads are being built, resurface yes.

Whoever is the co-pilot connects the GPS receiver to the laptop and away we go, tracking as we travel.

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Archived