Sewer Pipe Froze Solid

ANG0225

It got down to 14 last night. Tried to dump around noon but the Main Sewer pipes was frozen solid. So far I have put heater underneath pipe to no avail. Tried tapping on it to break it up, nope. Poured RV antifreeze down sewer, no go. Tomorrow I am going to put wifes heating pad on pipe for most of the day. Its supposed to get up to 50 tomorrow, so I hope we can break this up. Any other ideas?

2012 Chapparal by Coachman,

Did you leave the gray tank open? Do you have a heater in the bay? When I was camping in cold weather I kept a heater in the wet bay. I would only dump when the tanks were full. If you leave the gray open it will gradually freeze solid like you found out.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Are your plumbing pipes, enclosed or hang under the trailer? Where are the dump valves, at the hose connection or near the tanks? If they are enclosed by the trailer under-belly, space heaters in that area will do a lot toward thawing everything.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Are you serious about using your wife's heating pad??? You're joking, right? Have you asked her?? I hope you have your lawyers# on your speed dial.

I'd disconnect it and shut the valve if possible. and elevate one end of the frozen one.

Mine froze then broke when I was handling it. The whole thing went into 2 plastic bags then into the adjacent RV parks dumpster. Destroy the evidence.

With my luck it would wind up on UTubes epic failures.

It's to get down to 74º tonight here.

Lows expected to hit 66º Sat. & Sun. nights with the cold front coming, then warm up after that. :)

I take it you're not in AZ :P

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

It got down to 14 last night. Tried to dump around noon but the Main Sewer pipes was frozen solid. So far I have put heater underneath pipe to no avail. Tried tapping on it to break it up, nope. Poured RV antifreeze down sewer, no go. Tomorrow I am going to put wifes heating pad on pipe for most of the day. Its supposed to get up to 50 tomorrow, so I hope we can break this up. Any other ideas?

2012 Chapparal by Coachman,

Is your tow vehicle broke down??? If not drive south till it thaws and then drive a little farther south and set up camp...for a couple of months!!! Seriously, the heat wrap is the way to go. Wrap it, turn it on and go back inside where it is warm!!!!

The OP didn't say that they left the water hose or sewer hose hooked up. They never mentioned either. I got the impression that the piping was exposed where it came out of the tank and before the valve. Perhaps that area is not insulated well. Or, they could have been referring to the hose, in which case they could just use a different sewer hose and drain their tank. But, they used the word "pipes".

I've spent eight winters in my present RV. I always leave the sewer hose hooked up and the grey tank open during the Winter. What I don't do is put a trap in it, like some folks do by placing something under it to create a rise in the hose. This is unnecessary and will result in water trapped which will freeze and block the hose.

JMO

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The OP didn't say that they left the water hose or sewer hose hooked up. They never mentioned either. I got the impression that the piping was exposed where it came out of the tank and before the valve. Perhaps that area is not insulated well. Or, they could have been referring to the hose, in which case they could just use a different sewer hose and drain their tank. But, they used the word "pipes".

I've spent eight winters in my present RV. I always leave the sewer hose hooked up and the grey tank open during the Winter. What I don't do is put a trap in it, like some folks do by placing something under it to create a rise in the hose. This is unnecessary and will result in water trapped which will freeze and block the hose.

JMO

What I have found is if it is real cold any water flowing in the hose will freeze and over a short time will completely block the hose. Trap or no trap. The only solution I have found that works is close the gray valve and only dump when needed. I made a box that in closed the valve and kept a light bulb in it to prevent the valve from freezing.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Perhaps ANGO225 was overwhelmed by the frozen pipes they forgot about this post. If you look up the specs for that trailer, an ultralight, it appears to be an entry-level unit.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived