Jump to content

Poll: What do "you" call a vehicle towed behind your Motorhome?

Al F

Poll: What do "you" call a vehicle towed behind your Motorhome?  

58 members have voted

  1. 1. What do "you" call a vehicle towed behind your motorhome?

    • Toad
    • Towd
    • Tow'ed
    • Dinghy
    • Other (please elaborate)

Recommended Posts

As I noted before, a toad is a small amphibian that hops. At least a dinghy is related as it is a smaller boat pulled behind a larger boat.


But then most RVers are a bit ding-y anyway.



Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is called the car. As in "you tow that behind". 'Yup" Or "Ayuh" when in Maine. Never thought about calling it anything. When referring to a vehicle hooked on behind a motorhome I call the towed. Which sometime in the past has morphed into toad.



Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Motorhome.com calls them Dinghys and they have been around for a while. They do their dinghy roundup every year. I didn't hear them called towed/toads until a few years ago.


2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TOAD = Towed On A Dolly


FROG = Four Rolling On Ground


So behind the truck it's a 5th wheel! :)


Behind the Motorhome!...It's a frog! :D

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT


It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

We tend to use "toad", "dingy" and "Jeep" interchangeably when talking about the Jeep Liberty we drag along behind us. Which term I use in a given conversation depends on who and the nature of the conversation. When we're travelling - and I'm talking to my wife and/or other camper - it splits between "toad" and "dingy" pretty equally. When we're home or talking to "non RV'ers" - I generally refer to it as the "Jeep".

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the "Other - please elaborate"


My first MH was a 71 Winnebago. I towed an VW Baja Bug


*If* I had the desire or need to tell someone about that, i would simply say, "I tow a VW Baja Bug"


Of course, I understand what all the terms are - and if someone told me, "My dingy is Honda CRV" - or one of the

current terms for the vehicle they tow - I would know what they mean.


IMO - it's kinda like being in with the "in" crowd for nomenclature of/for what you tow


*If* I was asked...do I tow something - or do you have a "toad", etc. - I would still say - "I tow a brand/model".


Much ado over nothing!


Folks in New Jersey go to the "shore".

In CA, we go to the "beach"..


If you saw a long "Caravan" on the highway in the US - you might mean, a lot of vehicles, as in "Mercy sakes we got a convoy".

In Great Britain - it could simply be a long trailer (where most are short).


Anyway, not pulling your chain (Huh??) - when I say, "whatever rings your chimes!" (Say what???)... B) .





Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RVers Online University



RV Destinations

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

RVTravel.com Logo

  • Create New...