Navigating Truck Stops

HighwayRanger

When I fill up at the truck pumps, I grab a handful of paper towels from the windshield wash station, and line the bottom of my fuel fill compartment. Then, when the high volume pump doesn't shut off quickly enough, the excess fuel that slops out of the fill port is soaked up by the towels. (Mostly, anyway... there is usually a small amount I have to clean off).

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

My 450 has the large capacity filler neck also. Instead of filling at the fastest rate I just lock it in a slower fill rate. Keeps from spilling and still fills faster than the rv pumps. Plus the rv pumps usually are backed up and harder to get into. Only 37 gallon tank and usually take about 30 per fill. In and out before the truckers gets their joints loosened up from the long haul.

One thing I will add although I'm sure everyone here already knows it. When you finish filling, pull forward to allow the next truck waiting to get in and start fueling up. Those folks work for a living and don't like us sitting in a fueling lane while going inside to pee, eat, shop or anything else. It makes no difference if you are driving a pickup or a Freightliner like we are, they will get a little ill. They also get mad at other semi drivers as well but tend to go overboard with us. They understand the reasons why I'm there (pumping 150 gallons or better at the auto pumps takes WAY to long....) but I do try to be considerate and not hold them up.

Great advice. Just want to emphasize one thing: After fueling, pull up, go in and pay and move immediately. No shopping for that snack, grabbing a cup of coffee etc. The fuel lanes are for fuel only. Head to the parking area and then you can play to your heart's content.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

We have the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card and pretty much use P/FJ exclusively. Easy in, easy out with the "big dogs." Getting a receipt is a breeze with the kiosks inside the stores now, so I don't have to stand in line at the counter unless making a purchase. I always pull us forward to the line immediately after fueling, but can't say the same for some of the truckers. On one occasion, we were fueled but couldn't move forward because the driver in front was literally nowhere to be found. A driver beside us graciously offered to spot me so I could back out and go through an open lane. We've found drivers to be friendly and, as noted, even helpful, but again, I obey "the rules." My DH didn't care for "truck stops" until the one time I relented and took us into what turned out to be a small convenience store - couldn't see the whole setup of the place until I was already committed. It was a really tight layout and stressful, but we fueled and got out of there without incident. "Keep an eye on that big cement flowerpot on your side, okay?" Haha! Since that day, he is all for me stopping at Pilot/Flying J. He can get a decent cup of coffee, too. Never have run across the "ticket" thing, though.

I used to like Flying J for their convenience. Then their diesel tanks started sporting signs saying up to 20% bio-diesel. My Sprinter van could not handle that high a percentage of bio. So I switched to Valero stations alongside freeways where they would have decent turnover of fuel. I could do this because my RV was a conversion van. Big rigs could not access those pumps. Just one more reason I'm glad I like small.

Linda Sand

Note: Valero is a southwestern US brand. Here in Minnesota I used Holiday. Most, but not all, Valero and Holiday have diesel. Watch for the green pump handle as you approach those two brands.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

While I do like the hospitality/convenience of the Flying J/Pilots..... their fuel prices are a tad underwhelming, nay well over everything around them usually. I suspect the big rigs have corporate accounts and get better treatment.

They (and Pilots) have been pretty good for posted price, plus we get 3¢ off of the cash price. And some of the new Flying Js are really nice with the RV pumps off to the side with and exit road straight out from the pumps. And Cinnabons inside.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Seriously? If i'm about to buy 150 gallons of fuel you will be sure that I shop around. 150 gallons at 20cents is $30. I'm not rich enough to just squander my hard earned $$ ......that 20 cents is the difference between Arco and the Pilot at Quartzsite.

Jim, I may be doing like you in a few years. Last week congress passed the budget bill, which included lifting the ban on exporting U.S. oil. Knowing fuel prices in Europe, I expect U.S. oil companies to begin selling to the highest bidder very soon. When that happens our fuel prices will follow. Shoot, I may not be able to afford RVing 5 years from now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Jim, I may be doing like you in a few years. Last week congress passed the budget bill, which included lifting the ban on exporting U.S. oil. Knowing fuel prices in Europe, I expect U.S. oil companies to begin selling to the highest bidder very soon. When that happens our fuel prices will follow. Shoot, I may not be able to afford RVing 5 years from now.

Fuel prices in Europe are high due to taxes. World oil prices are the same for everyone. I don't think you'll see a lot of change.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Archived