Google Maps tips for planning

I recently did a couple of blog entries on using Google Maps for trip planning. The first focused on how to plan using the PC and then export it all over to the Android phone for Navigation.

The second was more general, just pointing out a few other ways to use Google Maps.

One of the neatest discoveries is this website which automates traveling the street view between two points. If you want to "travel" a section of highway, this beats sitting there clicking over and over again to advance down the highway.

I wish Google Maps allowed more waypoints. I like to put together an entire loop of stops for 7 months or so and then fill it in with specific campgrounds as I plan. Maps only allows a few stops.

So what I do is use Google Maps for individual moves, but Streets and Trips to create the entire trip. Here's our 2015 Adventure map it comes from this page - it was done with Streets and Trips.

image_map.jpg

I thought the job of the navigator was to plan out and implement the route, stops and destination ?

​As the job of co-pilot was to manage speed, fuel burn and take over for the pilot thereby eliminating fatigue?

Is the pilot trying to be pilot, co-pilot and navigator all at the same time? :D

I thought the job of the navigator was to plan out and implement the route, stops and destination ?

​As the job of co-pilot was to manage speed, fuel burn and take over for the pilot thereby eliminating fatigue?

Is the pilot trying to be pilot, co-pilot and navigator all at the same time? :D

Ha! Just filing a flight plan before taking off.

Darryl&Rita, does that mean it cannot be used when mapping routes?

It will work - but a few steps are necessary.

Download the KMZ file

Go to Google Maps (be sure you are signed in to Google). Click on the Menu icon (three lines, upper left).

Click on My Maps.

Click on Create Map

Click on Import and import that KMZ file.

That's it, you now have a Google Map with the campgrounds listed.

Archived