Just who/what are the folks who populate these forums?

Kirk W

How much do we RV?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of RV person are you?

• I am planning to buy an RV.
    • I am new to RVing with less than 1 year experience & not living in it.
    • I have owned RVs for some time but only travel vacation and short periods.
    • I travel for extended periods in my RV each year for 1 month or longer.my RV most years.
    • I am a seasonal RV traveler spending 4 or more continous months in my RV most years.
    • I live in an RV as my home most of the year.
    • I live in an RV as my only home and have done so for less than 2 years.
    • I live in my as my only home and have done so for more than 2 years.
    • I used to be full-time but have now returned to part-time.
    • I used to be full-time but no longer own an RV.
    • I do not fit into any of those groups.

The recent surveys from Escapees got me to thinking and wondering just what sort of mix we who participate in these forums are. So why not a poll just to get an idea, since they have not yet asked us that question? I'll try to put one together just for fun! :D

There isn't anything scientific about this, but it may help us to know more about ourselves.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When I first took over the job as the Recreation, Wilderness, and Trails Program Manager for a National Forest I went on the web and signed up for every special forum that used the National Forests. I would do a search on my Forest and National Forests to see what the forum comments were on our programs.

After I retired....I only kept membership in two forums. This was one. The help on this forum is exceptional. I am amazed at the expertise on this forum!

We have owned two tent trailers. Now we own a 5th wheel and a small trailer. We spend about half-time traveling.

Kirk, I remember years ago asking why my furnace fan would come on, but the heater function would never kick on!! Your response, was the battery. My thought, was yeah right. But I replaced it....and the furnace worked fine after that.

Thanks to you for that advice and all the others on this forum over the years. It has been really helpful.

Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

An interesting follow up survey might be to ask where forum members which of these categories they aspire to fall into.

My answer this survey today based strictly on my actual experience puts me into the "New to RVing with less than 1 year of experience" category.

However, in the 8 months we've owned our coach - we've spend roughly 115 nights (almost 4 months) - accumulated by thru nearly constant short trips (no single trip longer than 10 days).

We are well on our way to falling into the "I live in an RV as my home most of the year" or "I live in an RV as my only home and have done so for less than 2 years" categories.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

We are still only getting to do the vacations and weekends, but soon. Very soon we hope to be on the road full time. (and as I stand at the back door on this cold, dreary morning sippin' coffee, and looking at our winterized toy hauler sitting out by the garage I'm thinking it can't be soon enough LOL) :)

Sniper & Sweet P

Escapees 124743 H.O.C. 1371

My answer this survey today based strictly on my actual experience puts me into the "New to RVing with less than 1 year of experience" category.

However, in the 8 months we've owned our coach - we've spend roughly 115 nights (almost 4 months) - accumulated by thru nearly constant short trips (no single trip longer than 10 days).

We are well on our way to falling into the "I live in an RV as my home most of the year" or "I live in an RV as my only home and have done so for less than 2 years" categories.

I had to choose one of two anwers as they are equally valid.

"New to RVing with less than 1 year of experience"

or

"I live in an RV as my only home and have done so for less than 2 years"

I responded with the second answer.

It is an adventure. Thanksgiving night we got 13" of snow . So far so good.

Roger

Colorado

We still work full time but live in our RV full time. Figured it was the best way to learn all about the RV and it's many quirks and problems (and how to fix them ourselves) before we hit the road full time...not to mention the amount of money it has saved us on renting a house.

I had to choose one of two anwers as they are equally valid.

"New to RVing with less than 1 year of experience"

or

"I live in an RV as my only home and have done so for less than 2 years"

I responded with the second answer.

It is an adventure. Thanksgiving night we got 13" of snow . So far so good.

Both apply to us, we are new to this and living full time, but we are planning on returning for the summer to our 'home' base. So not sure what we are called and therefore, why we did not join the 2015 bunch.

Love this website and members, so much experience; so thank you all, again!

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

Both apply to us, we are new to this and living full time, but we are planning on returning for the summer to our 'home' base. So not sure what we are called and therefore, why we did not join the 2015 bunch.

My thought was that the first was for those not yet living in the RV all of the time. I'll edit to add that to the first choice.

Thanks for including a category for those of us who had to sell our RV and move back home. I still very much feel like a part of this group and you including me made me feel welcome still.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Kirk, this is really a great topic and a nice poll.

We're on our second 5th wheel and are using this one as a vacation beach home. We're a couple of years away from retirement, selling the SnB, and going full time.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Kirk, this is really a great topic and a nice poll.

The best part of it is that it would seem to have covered pretty much everyone, or at least all who chose to participate. I have always sort of liked numbers but am more into macro than micro. :rolleyes:

I fall into the "I do not fit into any of these groups"

I've had my RV for almost 2 years, have lived in it for a summer (stationary), haven't traveled in it yet but plan to be full-timing in 2 years or less while workamping for a big portion of the year. I also travel a lot in the summer, but it's cheaper for just me and the dogs to not haul the fifth-wheel.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

I fall into the "I do not fit into any of these groups"

Years ago a HS science teacher told me that there always has to be at least one exception to any rule just to prove that rule valid. :P

With 135 participants so far it is running just short of half are currently full-time. I wish that there were some way to get everyone to participate since I know that there are significantly more than 135 forum members who read posts but rarely make one. If you happen to be one of those, this poll is for you as well!

We live full time in our MH, have been doing that for less than 2years, due to multiple delays in our timetable and health issues. As we have traveled around this last summer, we have talked to quite a few younger folks, living full time in their rigs, and working full time.

Carl

I am inthe catagory of having owned RVs but not using them as much as I want. I have been retired for two years (disability) and 60 years old. Last summer my wife and I were discussing fulltiming, then she wants a S&B place to call home, and now she says she wants to work a "few" more years....... That means I still won't be able to go like I want, even though she sees something on TV and says "I would like to see that".........

There's more than one married person out there who travels alone. If you go and bring back wonderful memories she might become more interested in participating in those memory making experiences. If you've been married a long time it might help to start with local trips, then add trips of a few weeks, then go out for a season. When I traveled without Dave I discovered six months was too long for me--missed him too much. But I sure didn't miss Minnesota winters.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Been full time for over 5yrs. now, but we're winding down since were having a home built, but won't be ready until the 1st of March. Then our new adventures will begin with overseas travel.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

We have had an RV since 1984 used for weekend and vacation time. We lived long term 3 times in the RV while we were moving or building a house. I retired a bit over 2-1/2 years ago and we sold the house and hit the road full time.

How long will we be full time....I do not know. We will get tired of the full time life or our health will tell us to stop.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...

I used to spend a month at a time , going from trail ride to trail ride. Now just 7-11 days at a time.

That would be awesome, but I don't think my truck is capable of hauling RV AND horse trailer at the same time. I'm already having to figure out what I'm going to do with the 1 horse I'm trying to keep.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Wow, there are more full timers than I would have thought. My wife and I have considered that option, but neither of us feel comfortable not having a traditional home. Not sure which option fits us best as we've owned trailers, currently a truck camper, and done short duration travels for years.

I'm retiring in 2016 and we're relocating to Montana. Our plans are to RV travel the US, maybe 1/2 time for the first couple of years, then do more regional travel in the RMW to include winters in AZ. We're still in the market for a class A after having gone back and forth for what seems like a dozen times between that and a 5ver... and even now we are occasionally drawn to the 5vers. We saw one this past spring with the dual Basset loungers... I nearly dozed off listening to the rain fall while my wife was checking out the bedroom. :)

That would be awesome, but I don't think my truck is capable of hauling RV AND horse trailer at the same time. I'm already having to figure out what I'm going to do with the 1 horse I'm trying to keep.

I seem to recall seeing some really neat horse trailer/RV 5er combos in the past, when attending horse shows/events with our youngest daughter. Just saying and worth maybe your looking into that depending how you prioritize where and how you intend to travel for the most part.

In previous years we have often camped out (glamped out!) long weekends with our horses. There's something exhilarating riding in the foothills, mountains, driving cattle, and even the prairies. As a side thought, you might even be able to get free site and horse board, in return for a little work on some ranches as you travel. Some State/Provincial Parks have corrals closeby the campgrounds.

seem to recall seeing some really neat horse trailer/RV 5er combos in the past, when attending horse shows/events with our youngest daughter. Just saying and worth maybe your looking into that depending how you prioritize where and how you intend to travel for the most part.

There are even some RV parks that cater to the horse crowd. We have seen several in AZ of a commercial nature and you also see some equestrian parks in state and in COE parks. East Fork Park, on Lake Lavon, TX has an equestrian area and also has riding trails marked. That section is even full hookup and has a nice shower room. I would expect that sort of travel to require more advice planning to be sure you have a place for the horse to exercise and get out of the trailer, but I know that some folks do this.

Archived