Smart car incident

Asross72

That looks like the aftermath of a controlled crash test running the car into a concrete barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnI-LiKCtuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0yBkuciztA No seatbelt on this one.

Cars these days have crumple sections to absorb impact. The Smart frame stands up so all that energy has to go somewhere, the occupants body being one.

I hope I never find myself in that predicament.

R

I've never understood why people don't get this. The Smart frame doesn't deform much so the crash energy gets transferred to the occupants with minimal attenuation.

The biggest reason I'm not a Smart fan.

Geo

That looks like the aftermath of a controlled crash test running the car into a concrete barrier.

No seatbelt on this one.

Cars these days have crumple sections to absorb impact. The Smart frame stands up so all that energy has to go somewhere, the occupants body being one.

I hope I never find myself in that predicament.

R

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24599768/ns/business-autos/t/smart-car-gets-highest-score-crash-tests/#.VlH3Vb9r1_A

Every accident is unique, but it has been well documented that the Smart is a remarkably safe car. You do have to wear your seat belt however.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Looks like at least three of you are the ones with the lack of understanding. The crumple zones absorb the energy and direct it into the frame which ENTIRELY surrounds the passenger compartment. The occupants are protected by the obvious belt systems and EIGHT airbags. "Energy being absorbed by occupants" is such 1950's thinking!

On the smart in the above video the passenger door would open and close normally, no deformation of the frame.

Early on in Canada, where the smart first landed, there was one T-boned by a Ford Expedition. Obviously both cars were severely damaged. The Smart was punted into an open field. The Expedition driver was taken to the hospital, the smart driver opened his door and got out. closed the door and walked over to the Expedition to see if he was alright! The first responders wandered what the Expedition had hit since the smart did not look that damaged.

I hit a stopped car in the rear end with with our '05 gray market smart. Airbag knocked my glasses off and that was it. Ins. Co. totaled the smart due to cost of European specific parts, the car was easily repairable.

I sure wish people would do some research before they go off on "big is better protection" rants - because it is simply not true!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

What stupid posts people put on. No need to justify how safe we are or feel. Just do what you want and we will too.

Jumping on Smart bashing is just ignorant. Why not start on bikers.

I'm both so i guess I'm really unsafe. Duh

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

They are very safe a key phrase in Dennis's post is "the smart was punted" THATS where the energy goes.

If you are belted , the air bags protect you from impact G's , the frame/cage gives you NASCAR type protection.Remember it passes all the same collision tests as every other car.

I remember a old school tradesmen telling me - grasshopper (pointing at his eyes) that is not a gauge!!

What you look at and see does not mean you know everything about it..

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Crash energy is absorbed by crumple zones, and absorbed through airbag systems, and remaining occupant velocity is left is going to be absorbed by a seatbelt system or the occupant hitting a hard object in the worst case.

There are all kinds of clever tricks to mitigate the effects, but the fact remains that a Smart doesn't have a huge frontal couple zone so there are some inherent disadvantages that have been mitigated by an bag full of state of the art design.

That said, you can only take the lack of a larger crumple zone so far, particularly at higher velocities.

It's the sudden stop that does the damage so designers try to prolong the collision event to reduce the g-load on the occupants. A larger crumple zone makes it easier to prolong the crash.

If we're finished with the 1950s slurs and the rant allegations it's really quite an interesting subject.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

I drove a RHD Mitsubishi Delica 4x4 diesel van with zero front crumple zone and hit a bear on Hwy 11 south of Gravenhurst at 60mph. Did 4500 bucks damage but aside from that not a big deal. For the bear, not so good.

That van was a LOT less safe than a SMART but it was great fun to drive, particularly in the snow.

Drive what you drive and enjoy it.

Geo

What stupid posts people put on. No need to justify how safe we are or feel. Just do what you want and we will too.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

So, now we motorcyclists get drawn into the debate? :D

My point of view is that all activities have risk of some sort. My wife and I do ride motorcycles, and we sometimes find ourselves in situations where we'd rather not be. That's a chance we take to enjoy the rest of our riding.

The smart is no different. When I get in it, I know there are safer vehicles available. But, will they fit in my toy hauler, or on the back of the truck? Will I be able to find a parking spot easily? Will it be as fun to drive? Life is full of compromises.

Besides, the smart is a smaller target......... ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Sorry gentleman, I had no intention of starting a smart car safety debate, I just thought it was funny.

Like all topics on the internet; it's getting so one has to give careful consideration to posting in a particular way so as not to start broohaah such as this one.

Remember lads; you're all members of a like minded fraternity and can put this one behind you fairly quickly.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

Archived