RV's new Gooseneck hitch

Cyberdave

Derek,

How is your new gooseneck hitch working out?

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Great!

However Dave, we only moved it five miles to the house, then twice in our yard to make room for the contractors, and have just been camping in our own backyard essentially. We should be taking it to Tampa for my surgery in a month or so if we ever get this project over with. But several others here have it on full-timer rigs.

I can tell you that putting it on and taking it off is much easier than dealing with a traditional fifth wheel.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have had one for about 6 months.....works great. My favorite features are 1.quick, easy, and light to have essentially an empty and clear truck bed. 2.There is nothing mechanical. I do squirt a bit of grease on the ball each hookup. If/when the ball or receiver wear sufficiently to replace, they are both inexpensive and easy to change......My 2cents.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why more people don't convert to gooseneck.

Because most of the fifth-wheel trailer were not designed for the radial forces of the gooseneck hitch.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Because most of the fifth-wheel trailer were not designed for the radial forces of the gooseneck hitch.

X2

Most RV manufacturers will exclude the frame warranty if you use a goose neck adapter. A GN frame is designed differently.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Because, versus a pickup with spring ride.e most of the fifth-wheel trailer were not designed for the radial forces of the gooseneck hitch.

I would think the stress would be less with a Large Car, (Heavy Duty Truck), with air ride suspension versus a pickup with spring ride. Thoughts?

Bigtrailer

Guys,

MY hitch is not a gooseneck hitch, called such because the hitch arcs up and then down into the bed of the tow vehicle. When one says Gooseneck adapter it is completely different than the Ultimate Hitch by Andersen. Using the gooseneck hitch in the bed to adapt a same height connection as the regular fifth wheel hitch is completely different than attaching the pipe to the fiver hitch to add a lever to the forces on the hitch.

For those unclear as some seem to be who are posting how bad gooseneck adapters are, I agree with them completely for all except the Andersen.

Here is a gooseneck adapter that stresses the frame more than design parameters for fivers:

http://topdownlodablefreeware.com/convert-gooseneck-to-5th-wheel/

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197767

Here is the Andersen Hitch:

http://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Andersen/AM3225.html

The articulation/movement is at the top like the regular 5th wheel hitch. Not a pipe extension down to add leverage to the motion.

Perhaps it is easier to understand the difference in this video showing the B&W Companion fifth wheel adapter. https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/B-and-W/BWRVK3500.html The gooseneck end takes the same forces as with a gooseneck attached but the trailer frame has the same forces at the same height with no added tube adding leverage. The Andersen does the same thing, the articulation is at the top level not at the truck bed lever.

That is the difference.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Look at how gooseneck trailer tongues(?) are built. See those BIG wedge shaped gussets? Those are eliminating the stress that IS caused when a 5th wheel trailer is used with a gooseneck hitch. While I think the ease of use is a huge plus, I dont want to think about the potential that welds can break under that kind of stress/action. I am a fabricator/welder and I use gussets alot to add rigidity and strength. I will NEVER hitch up my 5er to a gooseneck hitch. I want everything to be safe for me and my roadmates.

Marcel

Please explain then to me why there are even anyone offering adapters to switch from 5th wheel pins to gooseneck balls, let alone video's to show you how to do it yourself. You lead me to believe I am putting my "Fellow Roadmates" at risk. I have over 5 million miles under my belt, not one accident or even a speeding ticket. I do not just jump in and go unless I feel safe and have taken the steps to help protect other vehicles I share the road with.

We should be seeing hundreds of wrecks on the open roads then, due to gooseneck failures and lack of gussets, and lawsuits up the exhaust pipe if this were fact.

A gooseneck flatbed trailer hauling pipe, motors, forgings, and even cattle or horses in livestock trailers have some extremes to contend with, and yes, have more support engineered into them for safety. However, ,they are off the highway on roads that were built by a bulldozer, no smooth pavement. Driven down thru a bar ditch, loaded beyond the maximum weight "just because that is how it is done", in the real world, They are side loaded with steel, off balance to one side or the other just because that machine on there isn't perfectly balanced for weight, things with legs moving around transfering half a ton of weight or more for each animal back and forth going down the road, and....... sometimes being pushed out of a wet field by a grader or dozer for miles. Ever see that with a Weekend Warrior travel trailer?

Bill

A goose neck trailer is designed as a goose neck. Look at the frame. A 5er is built as a 5er.

There are numerous articles on the internet describing the added stress to the pin box area when you add a GN adapter. I am a retired mechanical (professional engineer - inactive) and the added stress to the area around the pin box connection are real when you add the added leverage of a GN adapter.

Sure people use them and some get by with them, especially on the smaller 5ers. As for them being sold, all I can say is there are lots of things sold that should not be sold. Look at the warranty on the GN adapters. It covers ONLY the adapter structural. No where will the manufacturers give you a warranty saying that their adapter will not harm the trailer frame and that they will repair a damaged trailer frame.

Over the years I have seem several high end 5ers with the nose pulled apart and being repaired due to damage from a GN adapter.

SO all I can say is buyer beware when it comes to any form on GN adapter including the Reese Goose Box.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...

Derek that is a unique design, and appears to eliminate the traditional gooseneck cantilever stress's. I can't speak for other states, but Indiana requires safety chains on ALL ball hitches. I had a gooseneck utility trailer once, got tired of crawling into the bed to fasten and unhook safety chains, so had it converted to a 5th wheel pin hitch.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The Anderson set up will apply to the load in almost the same lotion and manner as does a regular 5th wheel hitch. But I tell you I will stick with my TrailerSaver TS3 air ride hitch. It may be big and bulky, bit the ride is fantastic for both the truck and trailer.

Ken

You're right Ken. Nothing compares to the air ride designs for smooth towing. For folks with the gooseneck already installed in a used truck, they under $600.00 Andersen with no installation costs, EZ on EZ off, can't be beat for the average trailers. Monster weights and HDT almost warrant air rides because of the superior strength the suspensions and brakes have. Many are very hard riding without.

Ray. I called the Andersen folks and they said the Fivers already heave breakaway safety brake switches and all states accept them without chains. I cannot verify that, and they do sell safety chains.

If one felt better and installed safety chains, that's their decision. I see no difference in my fiver hitched to the Andersen or the conventional 5th wheel hitch.

I found this:

"Safety Equipment

In case of safety equipment such as chains or cable, the Indiana Code leaves the matter to federal regulation. Any equipment allowed by the United States Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration or the National Highway Safety Bureau of the United States Department of Transportation is considered in accordance with Indiana state law."

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_6980106_indiana-tow-truck-laws.html

However, let's be real. trailer chains that keep the 5th wheel in the bed would eliminate the breakaway switch from separating in most cases. If I had my choice, and I do, I would have none or safety chains that broke away. I don't want the unbraked trailer coming through the back of the cab, nor tearing free along with my bed if it was free and the chains were pulled loose too late.

It is a different story with a trailer outside of the bed and hooked to the bumper hitch.

But if federal law requires them, then we'd have to comply. And the repercussions either way are beyond my experience to recommend others do as I do. Follow the letter of the law federal or state or municipality. Heck if a policeman says he will ticket you and impound the unsafe rig without chains I would put them on. Chains are cheap.

The idea of crossing the safety chains is to catch the tongue if it came loose and keep it from hitting the road causing a flip or worse. I don'tseethat as happeningif the fivercame loose.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived