I customize and restore cars, so why not? 1975 Dodge Titan

DaMechanic

Okay, I may be a little insane in the membrane, but what the heck. Tomorrow, if the engine isn't locked up and the steel frame is good, I am buying a 1975 Dodge Titan, that is a total basketcase. The interior is completely ruined due to a roof leak that went on for many years while it was left parked. I have restored and customized about 30 cars in my 20+ years in the hobby, so I want a REAL challenge. There will be no stone left unturned on this setup. I am not doing this because I am on a budget or because I can't afford a new one. I want a project that will take me a year or two to do, and let me really get away with whatever I want, with alo less constraints. It's only 500, and the scrap and rebuildable value is almost twice that. The motor alone I can get 700 for if it's not locked up.

My main question is, of all the features you have on your RV, which is nicest and really makes life easier and more fun? This is NOT going to be sold, and I am a danged good fabricator both in metal and wood, and I have a rediculously stocked shop. Price really isn't an issue. NOTHING is out of the question at this point, from air suspension to self leveler, 4WD, Network with server and full A/V, etc. I am wanting ALL of the good toys that I can add. lol Here is what few pics I have at this point....

post-53389-0-84042700-1442467672_thumb.jpg

post-53389-0-10001000-1442467697_thumb.jpg

post-53389-0-58618200-1442467715_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a great project...wish I had the skills, time and shop facilities to do the same thing!!! We haven't been RV'ing as long as most on here so my input is minimal, at best...I would like to see pics when you strip it down inside and as you re-construct...please think about doing a blog with pics and solutions to problems you fix along the way...it might help some of us that are severely lacking in those types of skills!!!

A tv that you can watch without craning your neck looking upward or sideways.

A full size shower

Plenty of kitchen cupboards, counter space and a microwave/convection oven rather than a traditional oven.

A large comfortable bed that you can walk around

A button to start the generator from inside ( power goes out - pouring rain, dark - nice to have)

Back up camera

Power shades for the windshield instead of a curtain

Aluminum wrap on awnings - awnings over slides as well as main one. Helps keep the light out in early morning, or sun when it's hot.

Large refrigerator

Drawer dishwasher

Fireplace/heater

Storage and more storage

Pat DeJong

A tv that you can watch without craning your neck looking upward or sideways.

A full size shower

Plenty of kitchen cupboards, counter space and a microwave/convection oven rather than a traditional oven.

A large comfortable bed that you can walk around

A button to start the generator from inside ( power goes out - pouring rain, dark - nice to have)

Back up camera

Power shades for the windshield instead of a curtain

Aluminum wrap on awnings - awnings over slides as well as main one. Helps keep the light out in early morning, or sun when it's hot.

Large refrigerator

Drawer dishwasher

Fireplace/heater

Storage and more storage

Okay, the TV I have already considered. I am thinking a 19" flat-panel in the forward section that folds down out of the ceiling just behind the driver's compartment.

Full size may be a bit more than I have room for, but I can get pretty close. A normal stall is 36, so I may be able to make a custom pan at 32. What about making the bathroom all waterproof floor, so I can use the toilet to sit down on when I shower? I have bad hips, so I don't move well for the first 2 hours of a morning.

Can you bake cookies and cakes in that type of oven? I have no idea myself....

The kitchen cabinets I have a question about. Do you prefer the type that uses a gravity lid that comes down, or would you rather have a sideways latch like a normal cabinet?

The bed is a given. I am almost 50 after all. lol

No sliders on my unit. It's a 1975, and I'm a mechanic, not an engineer. lol I will do the wrap thing though...

If you had your druthers, would you use a dual source, or just a regular compressor type refrigerator?

I will look nto that type of dishwasher.

A forced air furnace is a given too. I will be using it year round. That part will be propane powered.

I plan on adding basements, I think they are called? I have two thoughts on this. One for more storage. (obviously) One for keeping the heavier stuff lower for center of gravity reasons.

I am not using a generator. I am using a solar system with lithium battery packs, and a dedicated 120 amp auxiliary alternator on the engine. Between the two I will be able to keep about anything running. The panels I am ordering from AltE will give me 95 amps @ 12 v on a sunny day. I will be able to do that system for about 2200 dollars.

Sounds like a great project...wish I had the skills, time and shop facilities to do the same thing!!! We haven't been RV'ing as long as most on here so my input is minimal, at best...I would like to see pics when you strip it down inside and as you re-construct...please think about doing a blog with pics and solutions to problems you fix along the way...it might help some of us that are severely lacking in those types of skills!!!

I definitely plan on doing at least YouTube videos. I am not that good a writer so the blog thing will probably be out. Also, I am very very good at figuring out the easiest way of doing things. I've written most of the repair manuals for the equipment at work.

If you plan to travel much, definitely a RV fridge--you will want the propane when dry camping. Forget the RV oven...they are a pain to use and have very irregular heat. Get a microwave/convection oven. We love the convection...it bakes great cookies, cakes, etc. plus roasts and whatever else.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

My convection/microwave oven makes too much noise with the fan running on high to get temps up.

I put in a toaster oven that is silent to use and it bakes/broil/toast just fine.

Microwave is good for TV dinners/hot drinks/baked potatoes/sweet corn etc.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Okay, the TV I have already considered. I am thinking a 19" flat-panel in the forward section that folds down out of the ceiling just behind the driver's compartment.

If you have the room, put in a larger TV...19" is pretty small, IMO. When the TV comes down from the ceiling, can the person(s) watching it see it head on, or will they have to crane their necks up to watch it? If the latter, then consider locating the TV elsewhere where it can be watched head on.

What about making the bathroom all waterproof floor, so I can use the toilet to sit down on when I shower?

Called a "wet bath," they are common in slide-in truck campers and small trailers. We've had wet baths in a couple of slide-in truck campers we've owned and I prefer a bathroom with a separate shower. However, since you say you won't be selling this rig, then do whatever will make life easier for you.

Can you bake cookies and cakes in that type of oven? I have no idea myself....

Yes, you can. Consider, though, whether or not a microwave/convection oven will be able to be run from your proposed solar system since you say you're not going to have a generator. We have only a microwave/convection oven in our motorhome and almost exclusively boondock. Although I don't use an oven frequently, I really miss having a "regular" oven for those times that I do have to use it. As it is now, we have to run the generator in order to use the microwave/convection oven.

The kitchen cabinets I have a question about. Do you prefer the type that uses a gravity lid that comes down, or would you rather have a sideways latch like a normal cabinet?

We've had both kinds of cabinet doors. Personally, I prefer the latter rather than the former.

If you had your druthers, would you use a dual source, or just a regular compressor type refrigerator?

I'd prefer a regular house refrigerator...it's safer since you don't have to worry about it catching fire. It sounds as though your proposed solar system would run a compressor refrigerator just fine even if you do a lot of boondocking.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Even better news!!!!!

I told them yesterday that I seriously had to think about it and I would give them a call this evening. She texted me at 10:30 this morning that if I hauled it off tomorrow, I could have it for 400. Guess what I am doing tomorrow? lol

And , so it begins . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

If you have the room, put in a larger TV...19" is pretty small, IMO. When the TV comes down from the ceiling, can the person(s) watching it see it head on, or will they have to crane their necks up to watch it? If the latter, then consider locating the TV elsewhere where it can be watched head on.

Called a "wet bath," they are common in slide-in truck campers and small trailers. We've had wet baths in a couple of slide-in truck campers we've owned and I prefer a bathroom with a separate shower. However, since you say you won't be selling this rig, then do whatever will make life easier for you.

Yes, you can. Consider, though, whether or not a microwave/convection oven will be able to be run from your proposed solar system since you say you're not going to have a generator. We have only a microwave/convection oven in our motorhome and almost exclusively boondock. Although I don't use an oven frequently, I really miss having a "regular" oven for those times that I do have to use it. As it is now, we have to run the generator in order to use the microwave/convection oven.

We've had both kinds of cabinet doors. Personally, I prefer the latter rather than the former.

I'd prefer a regular house refrigerator...it's safer since you don't have to worry about it catching fire. It sounds as though your proposed solar system would run a compressor refrigerator just fine even if you do a lot of boondocking.

Hey Pat and Pete!

95 amps is almost sticks and bricks capacity for 70 percent of the homes in the US. Most of them have a 100 amp service. Basically, after the rather high cost of the system, power is totally free. That and a 400 dollar battery every 4 to 6 years. The 19 inch TV is more for the grandmoochers than us, lol and it will be about 12 inches above eye level at 4 ft away. Not too bad. Since my Titan has a fold-down overhead front bunk, when that is down it will agtually be about a foot below eye level. It will have a high gain digital antenna and a dvd/blu-ray player. Nothing else.

Edited by DaMechanic

• 5 weeks later...

DaMechanic, on 18 Sept 2015 - 12:09 AM, said:snapback.png

What about making the bathroom all waterproof floor, so I can use the toilet to sit down on when I shower?

I have had just the setup in a Ford something. Was easy to use. The problem was the floor drain was direct to the black tank. Nothing a basin plug didn't fix. Also I recommend looking at 12 volt compressor refrigeration, such as Dometic or others.

I am starting on it again tomorrow, so I will post pics of the (Disgusting!) interior the

Before you go too far, examine all of the walls, ceilings, and floor for any signs of rotted wood as that RV most likely has wood wall construction. You want all traces of dry-rot removed before you start to reassemble things. That could be your biggest challenge. You want to be certain that the structural parts are solid and in good condition.

You will be working with the RV inside, I presume?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Actually, it is a steel C channel frame. This thing is built better than a lot of commercial buildings I have worked on! I am NOT inside. But I have all kinds of Construction heating equipment. The only issue I have right now, if I can't find new vent covers, so I have to replace them with all new assemblies.

Hey Pat and Pete!

95 amps is almost sticks and bricks capacity for 70 percent of the homes in the US. Most of them have a 100 amp service. Basically, after the rather high cost of the system, power is totally free. That and a 400 dollar battery every 4 to 6 years.

Whoa, pardner! You don't have nearly as much power as you think. The panels will provide 95 amps at 12 volts, not 95 amps at 120 volts.

Power = Voltage X Current, so 10 amps at 12 volts equals 1 amp at 120 volts. The peak power from your solar panels is equivalent to 9.5 amps at 120 volts, or 1140 watts. About half as much power as you can draw from a single 20 amp outlet.

Same thing for the 120 amp alternator on the main engine. That's 1440 watts, or 12 amps at 120 volts - at high RPMs. The output will be a lot less at idle speeds.

Given all of that, I'd still go for a home refrigerator. It won't die if you don't park perfectly level, it's performance will be much better than an absorption refrigerator, especially in hot weather, and the new Energy Star models use much less power than older refrigerators. The daily power draw is well within the capacity of your solar and battery system so you should be able to boondock indefinitely without the refrigerator draining your battery..

But I'd think about including a generator unless you only want to run the air conditioner or an electric heater when you're plugged into shore power.

Edited by Lou Schneider

I couldn't afford the fee!! Lol I seriously considered a roll-off, but because it would have construction debris in it, I was looking at 900 bucks!!

As far as the solar,Ohave 95 amps available. For 24 hours, at 5 1/2 hours direct sun a day, I have 24 amps constant load. Still not shabby!!!

Ummmm, no, I will actually have 95 amps at the controller on a full sunny day at 110v. It's not the little cheapie coleman panels. lol it's actually a home off the grid system modified slightly to fit an RV. (smaller batteries to save weight.) I am using 4 residential panels.

I don't mean to argue, but you might want to verify those figures before you are disappointed in the performance of your system.

95 amps at 110 volts is 10,450 watts or 10.45 Kw.

Here's a description and photo of a 7,600 watt (7.6 Kw) residential system, from the Altenergy, Inc. website. Notice it uses slightly more than 4 panels, and a bit more roof space than you have on your RV.

A system that delivers 1,140 peak watts will give you 95 peak amps at 12 volts. That matches your battery voltage and is a lot more realistic for a system that will fit on the roof of an RV.

Edited by Lou Schneider