Frame extension

GlennWest

Actually found a pdf from Kenworth on frame mods. they state extensions can be added with basic welding. To add a inserest and bolt it in. Plainly states that frame will be weakened 1 to 2 inches behind weld but it doesn't interfere with the strength of the frame. Plainly states no welding between axles.http://www.taraassociation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Kenworth-Frame-Mods.pdf

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

No welded frame extension here. Ours is bolted on using existing holes in the frame. No need to do any drilling through the frame either. Bed is held down with u-bolts.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

How long is yours? Mine needs to be 3 foot. Also that truck is factory singled. May not have extra holes

Our frame pieces were 7'2" long with a 2'2" overlap making the final extension 5'0".

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Our frame pieces were 7'2" long with a 2'2" overlap making the final extension 5'0".

Dave

I will look at that and consider it. If there are holes I can use maybe. If I have to drill new holes in hardened steel ???????????????. Welding would be a lot less work.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Looked at a truck today. Looked as those bolts are too high. Would have to cut taper if and use full chassis size. Wouldn't want to do that. Likely not get truck until Christmas or early January. Starting new job next week in Donalsonville Louisiana. Won't have time off until then.will have plenty of money though.

I will look at that and consider it. If there are holes I can use maybe. If I have to drill new holes in hardened steel ???????????????. Welding would be a lot less work.

Over the last ten years I had a chance to convert and put beds on about dozen trucks, all required frame welding and extending. Over that time over 100 ETs were installed and they all required extending frames, by shops all over this country and by some of you guys who are talented welders. Extensions that I have been involved in ranged from 18 inches, on my truck,

2647465880096176628MTqgde_fs.jpg

to six feet on this truck.

2549451630096176628lOBzXL_fs.jpg

Haven't heard of of any of those falling off on the road.

On my truck it was straight butt weld to a soft steel channel extension after V-grooving the weld area on both sides and only smoothing the weld on the inside where needed for clearance. My ET weighs 850 pounds (prototype), my pin weight is 6,500 and the rig weighs 22,500 pound loaded. I have ran (transporting heavy loads) upwards to 47,600 pounds Gross Combined Vehicles Weight. I don't expect these extension to fall off on the road anytime soon.

Here's an extension of about four feet,

2914858750096176628mhVzTM_fs.jpg

we fabricated for an individual who was expecting to pull some serious and various loads,

2221127740096176628mfEozV_fs.jpg

besides his 48 foot long Space Craft.

2973877090096176628gpEubd_fs.jpg

We did this job 4 years ago and so far I haven't heard that anything broke or fell off on the road. That extension involved straight welding of the extension to the hardened 10 inch truck frame.

2847839470096176628qQvXLn_fs.jpg

Note that in this instance we did cut into the frame and the extensions to create an "alternative Z" (the original frame was cut off too short for proper Z cut) to lengthen the weld and to spread the load over a larger area where the frame transitions into the extensions. And we stitch welded the ET space-off tubing from the truck frame to the end of the extensions to add a little more stiffness.

On other trucks, in addition to welding (a Z cut) we fish-plated in an interior c-channel utilizing as much as possible existing frame holes, or mag-drilling additional ones. Drilling a hardened frame, even with a mag drill, is no fun and requires a "special technique" or that frame steel will clamp down on your bit and put a hurt on your body.

Partial knowledge is sometimes more dangerous than none at all, why am I saying this? YOU GUYS ARE SCARING THE BEJESUS OUT OF NEWBIES! Evidence of which is a private email I received.

I know it's a lot of fun to showcase exotic knowledge of welding techniques, bonding materials, or quality assurance requirements essential in submarine hull building, pipeline building, or directional drilling equipment building.

This is none of that, it is a relatively straight forward job of adding steel structure, yes dissimilar in nature of the steel, but also well beyond the critical area of the frame around the axles. Yes some care needs to be taken, but I expect that any competent welder would know all that.

I worked with welders who had advanced certificates, like for pipeline welding, whose work had to pass strict metallurgical and x-ray analysis. I didn't see much difference between their work and the work of talented welders who didn't obtain (yet) those certificates. The welder who attached the extension on my truck,

2007966170096176628gdJfkR_fs.jpg

had full confidence that his butt weld was all that was needed for what we were going to do there. I have a feeling that if I brought up x-raying of his welds, he might not have thought of it as funny or amusing and toss my butt out of his shop.

That is why I posted kenwork's pdf. It states plainly that welding to end of frame is acceptable. My only question originally is will standard channel be good instead of having the trouble to get formed plate. Also I will go back an delete all this.

Size for size standard channel might have actually little more stiffness than formed channel, not that they need more, both are pretty stiff (except in twist). Formed channel will give little more "visual aesthetics" but if you cover it with bed, who cares.

For those who would like to learn more about how to further "stiffen and empower" a frame extensions to carry massive loads here's a primer:

1. Install an ET Sr.which spans a stiffens the entire area between the frames with it's massive mounting plate (42 inches long x 32 1/2 wide and 5/8 thick)

2. Design and install massive bumper mounts 4 x 4 x 1/2 angle, welded to 4 x 4 x 1/4 wall tubing and sandwich the frame between it and the ET.

2636901260096176628QnGWoe_ph.jpg

3. Note that center section of the bumper C-channel web wall has a doubler plate welded in the center (1/2 inch thick) making that section of the web 3/4 inch thick.

4. Gusset everything.

5. The bolts holding the bumper are grade 8 7/8 dia.

2954480760096176628zdkjRm_fs.jpg

6. More gusseting and supporting of class V receiver.

2132457350096176628MLZmDe_fs.jpg

7. Pintle hook.

8. ET, "farm version" with a 30K gooseneck ball mounted on the plate extension behind the ET.

2000953300096176628KLzxOS_fs.jpg

How's that for making this frame extension DO SOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived