The mental damage caused in combat can be delibating

Cyberdave

Have you ever met a veteran that has one personality one day and another the next day? Or how about seeing a vet jump for cover when there's a loud bang?

PTSD is affecting more vets than ever.

Soldier's Journey to Heal Spotlights 'Moral Injuries' of War

"PTSD sufferers can find relief with prescription drugs and private counseling that encourages reliving the triggering incident to work through fear. But if the person considers what happened to be morally wrong, reliving it may only reaffirm that belief.

Counselors have found the self-punishment stops when veterans learn the deed does not define who they are. Veterans, the experts said, find comfort in sharing with each other, because only those who've experienced war can truly understand the complexity of morality on the battlefield.

"A psychiatrist may say they understand, but they don't really," said Elvin Carey of Murrieta, California, whose fellow Marine died after the two switched places. "We're comrades with a mutual suffering, a brotherhood. The pain brings everyone together and creates a bond that no one can break."

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

I was glad to see that Powell was able to put that girl's death, from her injuries, not the painkillers, behind him just enough to function again.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

:( Very saddening the demons of War causes 23 veteran suicides a day! Pleased to hear that Sgt. 1st Class Powell and his group are getting treatment in dealing with the ghosts of the Past! :( Battle Buddy has a post on Facebook with referrals and assistance for veteran suicides. Some time just showing them that we care may save a life!. :)

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

While the name used is relatively new, the problem has been around for years, probably for as long as there have been organized wars. Take a look at how life ended for any number of WWII medal winners. There has been quite a lot published about these problems and the problem has been well documented back into WWII with this being only one of many such studies.

If you want to read a really interesting book on the subject, check out Carol Schultz, and look for a copy of her book, The Hidden Legacy of World War II

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

PTSD takes many forms. I once knew a man, alcoholic, short temper, gruff at times. After I'd known him a few years he would talk to me about being a POW in N, Korea. He said when the armistice was signed POW's were traded. Without explaining everything, many of his comrades died (days later) from being fed a cracked corn hot mush a few hours before the exchange. I then understood him a bit. When a veteran wants to talk to you, that is exactly what they want-to talk, Just listen while they work out something themselves.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived