Anybody at the Clark County Gun Range this year (Las Vegas)

Vegas Teacher

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody was going to be staying up at the Clark County Gun Range here in Las Vegas with a Semi and Travel trailer. I am just starting the process. I am looking at different tractors and options but I am really green at this. I have a lot to learn, but as a teacher myself (science) I love to learn. Actually the school I teach at is just down Decatur from the gun range and I live 10 minutes from the range. Anyway I was wondering if anybody had a Semi they would like to show off, and walk a novice through what they did or had to do. I have also picked up a CDL book for my learners permit and have started reading it. I am going to be looking to buy next fall (2016) if all goes well. Has anybody out there gone to any Semi Driving Schools?

Thanks to everybody who takes the time to read this.

Sincerely,

Vegas Teacher,

Cory Ossana

Right off the reel, be very sure you actually NEED a CDL or some other "specialty" license. If you read the hundreds of threads on here about that very subject, you should come away with the understanding that you may create a liability for yourself that wasn't necessary.

As far as schools are concerned, recognize that the trucking industry is wildly short of drivers. Most, not all, schools are in the neighborhood of 2-4 weeks long, cost $4000 to $6000, and are structured with the sole goal of getting you to pass your state's CDL driver's exam and road test for a Class A vehicle. They will not spend much time on the subtleties of how to be a top flight driver.

Go to a rally. East Coast, West Coast, National, Canada (maybe). You will learn more there in a short period than anywhere else. The cost is limited to food & fuel and a small admin fee. If you're serious, those trips are worth way more than the cost. Somebody might even show you how to drive a rig,

National is in October in Hutchinson KS. Make plans now.

Welcome

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Welcome Cory! Paul & Paula covered the main points. The National Rally is coming up in mid-October. That would be an ideal place to get a lot of good information in a short period of time. Even if you can't stay for the entire week, it would be worth the trip if you could manage a long weekend. There are owners at every rally who graciously take "newbies" out on the road. Last year at the East Coast Rally, I was able to drive three different Class 8 tractors. That was the first time I was able to actually get behind the wheel and, getting first-hand experience was invaluable. I've seen one company online that claims they'll teach you the basics in a short period of time for $250. Again, that would just get you the minimum training so you could pass a road test. Each state sets it own rules re: motorhomes and licensing. You'll need to do your homework. Getting a CDL IF one isn't necessary may complicate your life. You've found a great forum; don't be afraid to ask questions. You should also check out:

www.rvhaulers.ca

Gregg Shields remanufactures Volvo tractors into custom RV haulers. He has many videos on YouTube that are worth watching. I think he may attend the National Rally in Hutchinson, KS this October (he often delivers a Volvo to new owners). I hope to see you at the rally!

And be sure to spend some quality time searching the "resource guide" . Look at the top of the index page and start learning.

Oh, and Welcome!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick here of Rick and Alana, we will be there again around Nov 1 for at least a couple of months, we haven't decided for how long after that. Your welcome to come up, you can look our rig up in the resource guide. We can go for a ride if you want. Verify your local laws but you should not need a CDL. As has been noted check the resource guide its full of information.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Rick here of Rick and Alana, we will be there again around Nov 1 for at least a couple of months, we haven't decided for how long after that. Your welcome to come up, you can look our rig up in the resource guide. We can go for a ride if you want. Verify your local laws but you should not need a CDL. As has been noted check the resource guide its full of information.

I would love to I am so sorry I did not make it up last year I lost your contact information. My address is ossanvc@interact.ccsd.net would you drop me a line when you get up there so I can come up and see it.

Well actually I am glad to hear that nobody has been there over this past month, because if you were, you would be too crazy to meet. Only a lunatic would be around here in this heat. Errrr wait a minute........lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I would love to I am so sorry I did not make it up last year I lost your contact information. My address is ossanvc@interact.ccsd.net would you drop me a line when you get up there so I can come up and see it.

If you don't hear from us by Thanksgiving drive up on the hill you can't miss us. White Volvo with white 14' box and Mobile Suites 5th

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Archived