Satellite TV and internet bundled?

Dish uses spot beam Internet, not very good for RVers.

That may have changed with Real Time Communications (RTC) new portable Ka band SpaceWay dish:

• $1000 for portable dish and DAPT with squinter. RTC says 45-min dish setup. Check out this YouTube DAPT setup video (it's not RTC's dish, but you'll get the picture)
  • $120/month for 20GB (that's Verizon's new pricing!)
  • Max 5Mbps download / 1Gbps upload
  • 18-month contract
  • Only available in the Continental US

That last one was a deal killer for me. More info here.

It seems lately everyone is referring to the download speed of the newer satellite Internet services.

If all you do is file transfer, fine. But you cannot ignore the latency of satellite Internet. Even at the speed of light, 22,500 miles up and 22,500 miles down to the Earth station and then is some cases 22,500 miles up and then 22,5000 miles down to the nearest wired Internet access point and then repeat the process for the returned message can make interactive web pages very slow.

But access anywhere is an asset, if you are using a CONUS wide satellite which HugesNet is depreciating in favor of spot beams.

Last a year and a half ago when I was checking out internet options I looked at the DirectTV bundle. They used Century Link as the internet provider at that time. Century was slow compared to Charter and after the intro price not really very much cheaper even bundled. I went with Charter and kept Direct as my TV source.

Charter is running 38.69 Mbps download and 4.27 Mbps upload at my house no data limit.

• 5 weeks later...

Last a year and a half ago when I was checking out internet options I looked at the DirectTV bundle. They used Century Link as the internet provider at that time. Century was slow compared to Charter and after the intro price not really very much cheaper even bundled. I went with Charter and kept Direct as my TV source.

Charter is running 38.69 Mbps download and 4.27 Mbps upload at my house no data limit.

That is decent speed if you live is a HOUSE. I would be real happy if Charter would figure out how I could get that sort of speed in my RV. And a really LONG spool of cable is not a viable option.

That is decent speed if you live is a HOUSE. I would be real happy if Charter would figure out how I could get that sort of speed in my RV. And a really LONG spool of cable is not a viable option.

One advantage to buying the S&B. After so many years with a Verizon data plan - starting with very slow pre 1g speeds in 2002 then 1g at 2.4 kbps. The speeds and unlimited data available at a fixed location are pretty nice.

Still miss full timing sometimes though.

Archived