Now I'll buy a set of these!

Big5er

Volvo VNL Blackout Projection Headlights With LED Bar

10260_3_.jpg

Supposed to start shipping in the middle of this month. I found them at Raney's for $476 a pair. Saw them on Ebay for a bit less.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I'll send you a report, but the National isn't gonna fit my plan this year Roger :(

2014 smart Fortwo

Those look good. Does anyone know how the light output compares to stock? The eBay listing doesn't make any performance claims, only cosmetic.

They're similar to the other Chinese-made replacements. In other words, better than worn out Volvo housings, but not all that good. Phil will see a big improvement; but with your lights polished up it won't be as big of a difference. They were on display at MATS, but I wasn't able to see up close enough to figure out where they're being made. If someone picks up a set, I'd be glad to work with them to tweak the xenon kit to fit (may not be necessary, but I haven't tried yet).

Some of the knock-offs are OK--like the ones made by Depo--and others are absolute junk. The latter, which are usually not branded (but some sellers are using the Volvo part numbers to get traffic), have hard rubber seals on the bulb covers (which will leak), and use bayonet type turn signal bulbs instead of wedge bases like the stock lights. I had to fish a loose bulb out of one of the cheap housings Thursday night--not fun.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

They're similar to the other Chinese-made replacements. In other words, better than worn out Volvo housings, but not all that good. Phil will see a big improvement; but with your lights polished up it won't be as big of a difference. They were on display at MATS, but I wasn't able to see up close enough to figure out where they're being made. If someone picks up a set, I'd be glad to work with them to tweak the xenon kit to fit (may not be necessary, but I haven't tried yet).

Some of the knock-offs are OK--like the ones made by Depo--and others are absolute junk. The latter, which are usually not branded (but some sellers are using the Volvo part numbers to get traffic), have hard rubber seals on the bulb covers (which will leak), and use bayonet type turn signal bulbs instead of wedge bases like the stock lights. I had to fish a loose bulb out of one of the cheap housings Thursday night--not fun.

Thanks, David. That's about what I suspected. I'm in sort of a strange situation with mine. I have decided that the painter used a little too much tint when I had my lights cleared. It's going to cost $200 or so to sand off that paint and repolish/clear. So, that makes the price of housings more appealing.

I have priced the OEM LED's at several places, but that's just too far out of my price range.

I'll probably grab up a set of these. If the light output is not good enough, I may take you up on your offer to take a look at them.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

David, I thought United was a decent brand. Both the larger chrome shops here handle United as their main light supplier. Am I wrong or is United just a distributor?

My lights have been buffed more than I care to mention. I spent 2 days sanding, buffing and polishing last time. The gasket around the outside is gone, so I have to do something anyway. I'll let you know how they look/work/etc.

2014 smart Fortwo

I believe that once the two year exclusive deal Volo has with Truck-Lite the factory(Truck-Lite) LED's will be much cheaper to buy. If I couldn't of spec'ed them with the new truck I would have David's light on my truck. I can't believe how bright the LED's are at night and even though I have had them check 2-times at the dealer I still get the occasional vehicle that flashes their brights at me.

bronco, The book calls the driving light that comes on with the low beam a "fog light" (if I recall correctly) and the one with the high beam a "driving" light. There is no way to change which comes on with the high/low beam......supposedly. I used one of my auxillary switches to power the "driving" light. So now I use low beam headlight and the driving light. It is much better than the low beam/fog light combo and I have yet to be flashed going down the road.

2014 smart Fortwo

I finally got my new company truck about a week ago 2016 Volvo.

The low beams with driving lights are OK but the highbeams with the driving lights also on highbeams are are insanely bright. (The driving lights have both high and low beam)

The high beam performance has never been much of a complaint on the Volvo lights (well, I guess no one would when switching between them and the normal low beams). Ideally, they'd have a broader beam, but on relatively straight highways they get the job done just fine. Like RickW mentioned in another thread, with a good headlight, the fog/driving lights don't add much more than a few blotchy spots in an otherwise fairly uniform (head)light pattern.

David, I thought United was a decent brand. Both the larger chrome shops here handle United as their main light supplier. Am I wrong or is United just a distributor?

My lights have been buffed more than I care to mention. I spent 2 days sanding, buffing and polishing last time. The gasket around the outside is gone, so I have to do something anyway. I'll let you know how they look/work/etc.

They're made by the same outfit that makes some of the others. I wouldn't say they are just a distributor, but like a lot of companies they contract with manufacturers in China to make parts for them.

I believe that once the two year exclusive deal Volo has with Truck-Lite the factory(Truck-Lite) LED's will be much cheaper to buy. If I couldn't of spec'ed them with the new truck I would have David's light on my truck. I can't believe how bright the LED's are at night and even though I have had them check 2-times at the dealer I still get the occasional vehicle that flashes their brights at me.

The low beam output from the LEDs is quite offensive the way most are aimed--I notice it most often on the Cascadias, which use the same drivers and LEDs as the Volvo lights (and are more common). I'm sure they meet the standard, but the high mounting height and close-to-maximum light above the horizontal midplane means a lot of glare.

If your asking about my 2016 work truck yes the low beam only is LED

Are you sure? It looks like the normal projector assembly--what's stamped in the outer lens near the upper (low beam) bulb? If it says H11 there, its the same as the others. It would surprise me if Volvo did their own LED projector having just done the deal with Truck-Lite. If you get a chance, grab the part number off the lens (down low near the turn signal if it hasn't changed). HRIAPP3DRL 02 would be the standard light.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

The high beam performance has never been much of a complaint on the Volvo lights (well, I guess no one would when switching between them and the normal low beams). Ideally, they'd have a broader beam, but on relatively straight highways they get the job done just fine. Like RickW mentioned in another thread, with a good headlight, the fog/driving lights don't add much more than a few blotchy spots in an otherwise fairly uniform (head)light pattern.

They're made by the same outfit that makes some of the others. I wouldn't say they are just a distributor, but like a lot of companies they contract with manufacturers in China to make parts for them.

The low beam output from the LEDs is quite offensive the way most are aimed--I notice it most often on the Cascadias, which use the same drivers and LEDs as the Volvo lights (and are more common). I'm sure they meet the standard, but the high mounting height and close-to-maximum light above the horizontal midplane means a lot of glare.

Are you sure? It looks like the normal projector assembly--what's stamped in the outer lens near the upper (low beam) bulb? If it says H11 there, its the same as the others. It would surprise me if Volvo did their own LED projector having just done the deal with Truck-Lite. If you get a chance, grab the part number off the lens (down low near the turn signal if it hasn't changed). HRIAPP3DRL 02 would be the standard light.

I'll check it when I get to work tonight.

It looks like projector and is a yellow light not blue. But I can see ( 3- LEDs ) when the light is on???

I thought that the new Volvo LED's are LED low and high beam.....Hmmm. On the Volvo Truck-Lite page they use the chart below. The low beam picture above sure doesn't look as bright as my LED low beams.

Volvo%252520LED%252520lights.jpg

Here is a picture of my LED lights....I'm pretty sure you just have the standard Volvo projector lights on that blue truck.

Volvo%252520LED%252520lights-1.jpg

Rick, your photo is what I saw yesterday in the Volvo dealer here. Had a Truck-lite leaflet with them and you could clearly see the LED wafers.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Archived