Texas Rv registration

Charles Skinner

I have had travel trailers inspected in Texas for many years and they have never done an inspection like the list

above. They hardly look at any thing. Last time they had me step on the brakes and the turn on the directional blinkers.

Yes your first registration can be done by mail.

They should have done more. Here is the DPS official list.......

Items of Inspection for a Trailers or Mobile Homes

I just did a cut & paste from the TX-DOT site that you quoted and didn't find anything about tinted windows???

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)

2. Tires

3. Wheel Assembly

4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.

5. Tail Lamps (2)

6. Stop Lamps (2)

7. License Plate Lamp (1)

8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)

9. Turn Signal Lamps

10. Clearance Lamps

11. Side Marker Lamps

12. Side Reflectors

13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)

(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)

14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

NOTE: On House Moving Dollies and Converter Dollies, the only items of inspection are:

a. Brakes (on converter dollies only)

b. Tires

c. Wheel Assembly

d. Coupling Devices (on converter dollies)

e. Reflector, rear, red (2), one on each side

f. Tail lamps, rear, red (2), one on each side

g. Stop lamps, rear red (2), one on each side

(Refer to reference section as per lighting diagram)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just did a cut & paste from the TX-DOT site that you quoted and didn't find anything about tinted windows???

I did not quote anything from TX-DOT site. My quote came from the DPS website, just like I stated. Here is the link, you can click on "Trailers or Mobile Homes" under the "Vehicle Class" to get the list I quoted from. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Mobile homes are quite different from motorhomes.

Not in this instance. "Mobile Homes" are not reguired registration or inspections, but when it copmes to the people that make DPS's web site, your motorhome is a mobile home.

Kirk, TX-DOT has nothing to do with vehicle inspections except for commercial vehicles. Also, the list you posted appears to be the almost identical to the list that chirakawa posted (which came from TX-DPS) only your list is incomplete. You are missing #15 which is window tinting. But as I pointed out earlier, DPS's list is incomplete also. As I already pointed out DPS doesn't make the law, so if you want to post the correct facts and inspection criteria, check the Texas Transportation code. And yes, window tint (sun screening devices) is listed in state law.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 1 year later...

A warning for all!! My registration is due in Dec. So on the way back from Maine, I stopped an got my Rig inspected. This was Sept 29. I then when to my winter park and made myself at home. In Nov I tried to renew my registration online and it failed ( No Valid Inspection ). The problem was I got inspected 2 days too early. You must be inspected 90 day before the END of the Tag date. ( My case 12/31/2016) and not 90 days before renewing. My option are 1. Go with expired tags until I leave the park, get inspected then renew my plates. 2. Pack up the rig just for inspection. Or 3. Lie and say I am out of state and then get another inspection when I leave the park in the Spring on my way out of state. Here is another Government idea well thought out.

A warning for all!! My registration is due in Dec. So on the way back from Maine, I stopped an got my Rig inspected. This was Sept 29. I then when to my winter park and made myself at home. In Nov I tried to renew my registration online and it failed ( No Valid Inspection ). The problem was I got inspected 2 days too early. You must be inspected 90 day before the END of the Tag date. ( My case 12/31/2016) and not 90 days before renewing. My option are 1. Go with expired tags until I leave the park, get inspected then renew my plates. 2. Pack up the rig just for inspection. Or 3. Lie and say I am out of state and then get another inspection when I leave the park in the Spring on my way out of state. Here is another Government idea well thought out.

Two days early? Are you sure? If you count back 90 days from 12/31/16, you may find that 10/1/16 may have been too early also.

There are several aspects of this new inspection law which may not have been thought out too well. Not unusual, though. That's why laws of all types get amended and added to over the years. Full time RV'ers are not on the top of the food chain when it comes to legislators.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived