Front Brakes

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

In the big truck world what is normally replaced in a front brake job? Pads, Drums, Cans, ???

I have no idea if the brakes on this truck have ever been rebuilt or changed. Over the last 2-3000 miles I've noticed a pull to the left under hard braking. Not pull you off the road, or uncontrollable, just a steady pull when braking hard. Under lite braking, it's not noticeable. Also, what is a normal price? I really don't want to be taken for looking or sounding green discussing the job with the shop.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

When I had mine done, part of the problem was worn "S" cams. Basically I had everything from the hub seals out replaced. The drums were a big cost. There are cheap drums and there are better drums. Unfortunately when I was having this done, only the good drums were available.

As I remember, the cost was about $3K. A few weeks later I talked to someone who have his F450 brakes replaces for over $2K. I didn't feel so bad then.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Just did brakes on drive axle. $67. For each drum

I think it was $55 for the shoes. I traded out the labor.

Keep in mind you will only do this one time.

My truck used to be my work truck. A line haul truck running 80,000lbs both ways from sandiego Ca to Las Vegas and back.

1.5 million miles. We replaced the brakes one time on the front and 2 times on the drive axles.

Compare that to a pickup truck.

In all the documentation that came with the truck there is no receipt for any brake work. Not saying it wasn't done, but to my knowledge the front is original. For $3-500, its piece of mind knowing I'll never touch them again, all the rubber parts maybe, but not the brakes themselves.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My truck used to be my work truck. A line haul truck running 80,000lbs both ways from sandiego Ca to Las Vegas and back.

1.5 million miles. We replaced the brakes one time on the front and 2 times on the drive axles.

Broncohauler

As a former "Fleet Control Manager" I would welcome you to drive for our fleet

P.S. I still miss my 1973 Bronco

You weren't hauling a company trailer by any chance were you? ?

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Before you get serious about spending money changing out your brakes, what is the thickness of the existing brake linings?

Your issue could be as simple as just needing to adjust your brakes.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

You weren't hauling a company trailer by any chance were you? ?

Yes and still do haul company trailers. And no I wasn't leaning on the trailer brakes or (broker handle) if you want to call it that.

Just pay attention to the hills,use your Jake properly slowdown way ahead of time using Jake and downshifting for all stoplights.

My other company truck I put 900,000 miles on it with one set of brakes replaced. That was a city tractor all city work.

Broncohauler

As a former "Fleet Control Manager" I would welcome you to drive for our fleet

P.S. I still miss my 1973 Bronco

Thank you I appreciate the comment but really don't think it's that big of a deal all our trucks seem to last that long.

How can you sell a 1973 ford bronco?

My kids are still fighting over who gets mine when I pass on along with my 69 Mustang that I learned how to drive in when I was 16yrs old.

I have twice seen a left-pulling-front-brake on a HDT with a rather odd cause......it starts with a power steering leak.....

Here is what happened..........on one truck the High-Pressure power steering pump hose burst and flooded the top of the Left front axle leaf spring with power steering oil. The oil penetrated BETWEEN the leaf spring and the front axle mount. The friction-fit of the joint was compromised and the left-brake-force was only resisted by the small alignment dowl-pin from the leaf to axle mount block. I only takes one moderate brake application to shear the pin and now the "Lubed-axle-spring-joint becomes able to slide back thereby steering the axle into a left turn, once the service brake is released the axle slides forward helped by the good right spring /axle joint that has not been compromised.

You might think that this is a rare event but I have seen it myself twice and have known truck mechanics that have also seen the problem as well.

Might be worth a look........

Drive on.........(not pulling left.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived