Haulmark Toterhome questions

Mr&Mrs Duet

Heck just pull the motor and tranny out sell them more than get your money back..........

Donate the rest for homeless housing and take a tax deduct...........(what would Donald Trump do......?) LOL

Seriously IF it fits you needs seems like a great deal.........just keep in the back of your mind that toterhomes are a "special-client" market so the low-price you pay now will likely be even lower when the day comes to sell it........That being the case it appeals me more to pay the low price now than the HIGH price you would pay for a comparable class A MH then down the road a few years sell the MH for far less money that you will now pay for the toterhome........

The loss of value on a class A motorhome makes this toterhome seem to be free........

Drive on..........(Toterhome & Smile)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The loss of value on a class A motorhome makes this toterhome seem to be free..

You are correct, a $100K motor home today will loose $30K in 5 years. We wanted to try a motor home. This is a little larger (ok a lot larger) than we wanted, but at the price, it seems well built (compared to the new lightweight trailers), can tow about anything, and when we are done, we should be able to get something back out of it.

If you check in my original post I asked about turning one of these into a single axle truck. I figure if nothing else, in 5 years I'll have the perfect vehicle to single, and tow a large 5ver. It's got the Volvo D13 and autoshift, heated and cooled seats, etc.

Have you talk to anybody at the dealership yet? That is way too good to be true

Yes I have, I'm not a 100% convinced that it's not a scam, but it seems to be working along. I get reasonable responses and phone calls,

Are you close?

No unfortunately, It's about 900 miles away from me, in Virginia. It's located about 30 miles SW of Arlington, VA. Anybody close enough to take a short drive over and put eyes on, maybe do a quick walk thru/Engine start, I'll buy lunch.

And Charlie, If I pass, I'll send you the details.

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

DT;

Do you have a Truck conversion?

if so, what kind, and any recommendations?

We had never really considered something like this. I usually find that when that happens to me, it turns into an unexpected surprise, so we are open to it. Just trying to be cautious. We are somewhere between 0 and 5 years from leaving the full time workforce ( I do happen to like what I do) and one of the determining factors was having a full time rig paid for.

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

If it's for real, and you pass on it, and Charlie also passes, I'll take it. Way too good to be true.

I can be there with a duffel bag of Franklins in 24 hours. :ph34r:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The VIN shows this to be a 1989 chassis.

No, it shows it to be a 2009 chassis. A 1989 year would have been indicated by a "K" in the 8th digit from the rear.

Haulmark could very well have bought the chassis in 09 and sat on it for a year until they started building, thus making a 2011 Haulmark

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

DT;

Do you have a Truck conversion?

if so, what kind, and any recommendations?

We had never really considered something like this. I usually find that when that happens to me, it turns into an unexpected surprise, so we are open to it. Just trying to be cautious. We are somewhere between 0 and 5 years from leaving the full time workforce ( I do happen to like what I do) and one of the determining factors was having a full time rig paid for.

Mr & Mrs,

No we do not have a toterhome just a 97 Freightliner Century HDT so our rig would "freeze-to-death" in the shadow of the toterhome that you have in your description..........

This brings me back to my original statement and that is..........THE engine , auto-tranny and the seats are likely worth more than the $31K asking price...........

The RV game is a gamblers game in that sometimes a good deal comes along and sometimes it is just a not so good deal.

Whenever I am a long way from the machine it's simple ..........I just rip a credit card out of my pocket and get on the phone and then hire a professional /inspector / mechanic to go RIGHT away to give the machine the evil-eye and then WHILE he is at the machine I have him call me and give me the details of what he finds and then I can have him look at other things as needed.........

Will it cost more than lunch ..........well that depends on your lunch bar-tab .............in the real world it will likely set you back a few hunderd BUT this is one of the first steps of your .........DEGREE-IN-RV..........

We used to do Airplanes, RV's and Horses............I retired out of airplanes but it appears that the real expenses are RV's and Horses.......Airplanes are free.....(almost....)

RV's are lot of fun ............look at it this way, IF it is a great deal, it is a grate deal........IF it is not a good deal, and a few hundred bucks prove it, that is even a better deal at the end of the day...........some of my best deals, are the deals I passed up........(the 52ft wood Italian twin 16 cyl Diesel boat.......MSS-MoneyPit)

Drive on........(and get a fast inspection)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

You got a love this forum

Yep, This forum is one of the best reason's for being a member of Escapees!

Whenever I am a long way from the machine it's simple ..........I just rip a credit card out of my pocket and get on the phone and then hire a professional /inspector / mechanic to go RIGHT away to give the machine the evil-eye and then WHILE he is at the machine I have him call me and give me the details of what he finds and then I can have him look at other things as needed.........

Will it cost more than lunch ..........well that depends on your lunch bar-tab .............in the real world it will likely set you back a few hunderd BUT this is one of the first steps of your .........DEGREE-IN-RV..........

We used to do Airplanes, RV's and Horses............I retired out of airplanes but it appears that the real expenses are RV's and Horses.......Airplanes are free.....(almost....)

Trying to find that inspector is the toughest part, a mobile RV service for the coach and then a mobile diesel mechanic for the chassis. Not to concerned about the tab, If you find out it's a lemon before buying it...WAAAYYYY cheaper than after. LOL Just trying to find some comparables so my CU will advance me some funds.

Airplanes (helicopters) are free.... hmmm I sold my soul 40 years ago to fly for "free". Retired once, then got offered a chance to teach for the Army. Best job I've ever had, but the itch to travel grows!!

And horses, from my experience they are expensive cats, Ya even have a litter box (stall) to clean! No more for me, I prefer my horses fed kerosene or Avgas. LOL

Haven't gone down the boat road (kayak excepted) yet, but I think doing the Great Loop would be a blast!.

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

Off topic but my son now 24 yrs old next week spent 2 years working as a rigging inspector on a new power link built from San Diego Ca to Elcentro Ca.

He checked logged and photographed all the lifts the helicopters made. Almost all the work was done from the air because of remote areas.

He Had the chance to ride along and video quite a few heavy lifts every day.

He now has that itch to fly helicopters more than you'd ever believe. He was devastated when the job was completed And would give anything to find a way to get back to flying again.

So I understand when you say you had the itch to go back flying helicopters.

As for Bob I do not know him personally. But I've seen his posts on this forum and Totorhome conversion forums for many years.

He seems extremely knowledgeable in both trucks and conversions.

I don't want to speak for him but me personally I would not have a problem letting him do a full inspection for me and calling it good enough especially for that price.

Charlie

Oh no, Charlie, I'm extremely lacking in any knowledge areas. But, I just can't believe that this is a real deal for $31k. I happen to be in Fairfax County taking part in the World Police & Fire Games right now. I'm doing all the road bicycle races. I have Monday and Tuesday off from competition so I thought at least I could drive over there and make sure the rig exists and the guy really only wants $31k. I drove my Truck Conversion here but I pull an enclosed trailer with a car so not a big deal to drive over. Keith sent me the address where it's supposed to be and it's only a 27 mile drive from my campsite. Worth it for me just to look at another cool Truck Conversion, if it's really there. I would be happy to have him start it up and take it for a drive, check a few other things on it, look under it for leaks, etc... but I'm no inspector that's for sure. At the least I could just tell Keith to investigate further or run away. And let's all make sure to call this a "Truck Conversion." It's not a "Toterhome." And it's certainly not a "Super C." Thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recreational_vehicles

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Fully understand and agree truck conversion not a toter home.

I'm very interested in where this leads Just too good to be true. My wife and I are currently talking about selling our set up and buying a truck conversion. But I'm looking for the very rare.

I want a Peterbilt front end.

The wife really wants to convert our truck into a conversion we really love the truck and I know it's history from day one having worked for the company that originally owned it and put most of the 1,500,000 miles on it myself. But I know it's extremely expensive and crazy to convert one when there's so many good deals out there already built.

my son now 24 yrs old next week.... He now has that itch to fly helicopters more than you'd ever believe. And would give anything to find a way to get back to flying again...

Charlie,

I know how he can possibly do that, takes some persistence, aptitude, being able to pass the flight physical, and a fairly good tolerance for low level minutia, but my not so rich uncle, (SAM) is always looking for warrant officer pilots. If he has some college (preferably at least an associates degree) he can schedule all the tests with a recruiter before he ever signs a contract. He needs to act fairly quickly as 27 is currently the age cutoff (with "no war" going on) standards are a little higher. If he is interested or has questions, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Tell him to be careful what he wishes for! LOL

I'm doing all the road bicycle races.

Good luck, We need pictures! Without pictures it didn't really happen. :D

...make sure the rig exists....... At the least I could just tell Keith to investigate further or run away.

That would be perfect! The finance dept has approved the operation, now she just has to be satisfied that it exists. Unfortunately I just can't get away right now. Hope you get to drive it.

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

MR Deut

Thanks my son tried that route. Unfortunately when he was in high school he decided it was a good idea to try and do a backflip off the side of a flatbed truck on an asphalt parking lot in front of the high school cheerleaders.

Great idea except he never had done it anywhere but in a swimming pool.

Well he made full rotation came down solid on his kneecap on the asphalt. Broke his patella in half. That ended any type of military career even though it's fully healed no restrictions.

On the bright side he won a $20 bet and dated one of the cheerleaders for a couple years.

Another funny part of it. At the Time he was an explorer with our local fire department. When the paramedics showed up to take him to the hospital they showed him no mercy at all starting an IV. And gave him some pretty good verbal abuse all the way to the hospital.

I would check again to see if that injury disqualifies him.....things have changed a LOT in the last couple of years....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I would check again to see if that injury disqualifies him.....things have changed a LOT in the last couple of years....

Jack

Ya it sucks but lessons learned the hard way.

He's tried every branch of the military including the Coast Guard which he really wanted badly to be a rescue swimmer.

When he was in the hospital going through multiple surgeries they labeled him as allergic to latex which is not. He had a nightmare of a time trying to get that cleared.

It's rough he's a certified EMT also

Has his scuba diving certification and dives at least three times a week off the coast of San Diego.

And spent five years in the fire departments explorer program

Very proud of the boy he saved in elderly man's life while performing CPR at the age of 15

And I watched him help save another young boys life this last desert season who crashed a motorcycle and had severe internal injuries.

The boy is incredible and has what it takes but they just don't want to touch him because of a past injury that has healed.

Sorry to go so far off topic guys

Charlie

SCAM!!!

This Vin: 4V5NC9EJ89N276789, shows up on a couple of different models of Haulmark Truck Conversions on the internet. Per the Build sheet from Haulmark it goes to a model 304DS. That model shows up in a couple of different for sale locations over the last year. The CARFAX shows registration renewed or issued in FloridaMar 2015

This ad from our local craigslist is what caught our attention;

https://dothan.craigslist.org/rvs/5068206017.html

When we replied to it, this person (dirtbag might be to nice of a description) gave us pictures and the following contact information:

Here are the unit details:
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): 4V5NC9EJ89N276789
Year: 2011
Fuel Type: Diesel
Make: Haulmark
For Sale By: Dealer
Model: 304DS
Leveling Jacks Included?: Yes
Length (feet): 41
Water Capacity (Gallons): Over 100
Mileage: 39,512
Air Conditioners: 3
Sleeping Capacity: 3
Awnings: 1
Vehicle Title: Clear
Type: Toterhome
Slide Outs: 2
Very Clean 1Owner 2011 Haulmark Custom built and owner supervised build at Haulmark. Twin Slides and a Real Slide in the bedroom, not those silly rear slides. 40in LCD Flatscreen TVs front and rear! 3 AC units w/ Heat Strips, Propane Furnace and Aqua Hot Heating. 12.5K Onan w/ 1186 hours and Auto Gen Start. All Windows have awning and there is a large Girard automatic porch awning. 485HP Volvo D13 w/ 12speed Automatic. Beautiful Walnut Cabinetry and Aberdeen Buckskin UltraLeather. Frameless Double Paned Glass. In Motion Satellite w set for 2 Receivers, Sleep Number Queen Bed, 50amp Rear Plug for Trailer or Buddy Plug, Enclosed Grey and Black Water tanks, Roman Day/Night Shades, Upgraded Halogen Bulbs to LED, Double Door Frdge and Freezer w/ ice maker, Front Desk in lieu of second couch. Solid Surface Countertops, Granite Tile Floor. 2,000watt Power Inverter w/ 3 Large AGM Batteries. Central Vacuum System. Upgraded Toilet w/ Macerator, Big Foot Leveling System.....Options go on and on.
75 Gallon Freshwater Tank
110 Gallon Grey Water
80 Gallon Black Water
50 Gallon Propane Tank
125 Gallon Diesel Fuel Tank
Price: $31,000
The purchase can be made in two ways:
1st option: You must fly down to our dealership and purchase directly. The payment is done cash, bank draft or cheque. We will help you with the shipping.
2nd Option: We deliver and handle the paperwork . Shipping cost (depends on your location , ex: 800$) will be paid in cash when the unit is delivered. The shipping cost will be the fuel cost, because we deliver ourselves.
To be safe on both parts, the financial part of the transaction will be made though a broker: J.P. Morgan Escrow
If you decide to proceed with the purchase, we will have to contact JP Morgan Escrow and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. We will be needing your complete NAME,ADDDRESS and PHONE NR for that. J.P. Morgan Escrow will act like a third party / Broker , between our dealership and you.
You will buy under these terms: You will be instructed to deposit the money to an J.P. Morgan Escrow account. They will hold and insure the funds until receipt of the unit in good condition. As far as the seller - ourselves, we will be glad to know that J.P. Morgan Escrow has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is our insurance.
As soon as we will have the confirmation from J.P. Morgan Escrow that the funds have been deposited in their account, we will immediately start the shipping process. The unit will be delivered to your address in no more than 5 calendar days. You will be given up to 5 business days ,as inspection period from the day you receive the unit at your location.
You will be able to take the unit to any mechanic, dealership or service you like and inspect it. If everything checks out , ownership is change and you will have to authorize J.P. Morgan Escrow to release the funds to us. Then, the transaction will be completed. If, after the complete inspection, you will not be satisfied with the unit, you will be able to refuse it and ask J.P. Morgan Escrow to return you the funds. No charges will be applied .We will have to cover the costs for return.
Though we are sure you will love it and will not want to return it, it is good to know that you do have this option available. If you wish to proceed with the purchase,please provide us with your full name and address so we could initiate the deal through J.P. Morgan Escrow right away.
The unit is automatically reserved for you , from the moment you email us your details.
AutoHausWeb LLC
10416 Central Park Dr
Manassas, VA 20110-4176
United States of America
Robert Pittman - Vice President
(571) 348-4178

Besides the obvious low price red flag, several others came up:

He didn't send any requested additional photographs

He didn't provide any contact info for my credit union to talk with

When I spoke with him on the phone, he got several specifications confused.

Bob86ZZ4, was in the local area and graciously took a swing past the address.

There is NO Truck Conversion present.

The business owner at the address says someone has been using his address and name to scam people.

I'll let him tell the details when he has a chance.

My bottom line is: This is one of the best deals I never did!! :)

And I am grateful to Bob for his help. Bob, when we meet, the cold beverages and steaks are on me!

We have emailed Craigslist about this also.

On the good side, I learned a lot about HDTs and Truck Conversions.

I might be a convert yet! LOL!

Blessings all, Have a delightful weekend!

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

Yes, Keith about summed it up. He sent me the above contact info/address for a Robert Pittman. The campground I'm staying in is Lake Fairfax County Park. It's a very nice campground, not very big (maybe 75 sites?) and very close to downtown Reston, VA. It's got no wifi and very very bad Sprint signal, almost no data (comes and goes). So, I was just pulling out in the car this morning and figured I'd give this Robert (no doubt a fake name too, I think he's the son of a Nigerian King) a call to see if I can stop over and check out this Unicorn he's selling, hahahahaha. He answers and uses that above business name. I told him I wanted to stop over and check out this Haulmark Truck Conversion he's selling. He says great, come on over, it's right here, about when can you get here? I said I'm about 45 minutes away. About this point my phone disconnects and I figured it was just the signal cut out so I didn't bother calling him back. Later I figured he clicked off on me. Wife and I drove over there, not a bad drive and it's real close to a Wal-Mart so the trip wasn't a total loss. I get to the address and it's a small auto repair shop named Battlefield Service Center. No sign of any rv's so I'm pretty certain we've cleared up the mystery. I went into the office and a real nice guy, Jim I think, greeted me. I asked him if he's Robert Pittman and he said whoever that guy is he's a crook. He said he has no idea who the guy is but plenty of people have called his shop after looking up the phone number for the address saying they're looking at rv's for sale. He said he's complained to Craigslist, the local police, and the FBI. He said law enforcement told him there's not much they can do. He said he's heard of lots of people sending that crook money and then finding out it's a scam. I told him I just happened to be nearby and a friend was talking about one of those bogus rv's so I said I'd come verify that it's fake. He said tell my friend good thing he didn't send the guy any money. So, I guess the moral of the story is, if it sounds too good to be true.....

I'm glad Keith didn't lose anything but a few minutes of his time.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Archived