Finally officially joined the HDT ranks!

Gary Hage

Now that its official, time for an introduction here:

After having unexpectedly decided to retire and sell our trucking business (including our 2007 Kenworth super sleeper used for both the business and the RV) the beginning of this year, we went in search of the "perfect" HDT for our needs. Oh I've followed the HDT forum now for about two years or so, and I've learned a lot from the wonderful folks here. It definately aided us in our choices.

The one thing I truly wanted was a factory built single axle toter, not cut and singled out twin screw. Not that theres anything wrong with that. I just personally did not want the cost and possible headaches of dealing with going through the process. Having driven a 327" wheelbase tractor and pulling a 48' trailer for years, I now wanted wheelbase of less than 198 inches, but also with a small 38"- 42" sleeper to pull our 40' long Redwood. As we searched through hundreds of used trucks online and at dealerships, we learned quickly that was going to be a tall order to find a decent rig that was up to our standards in both it's mechanical condition and looks.

Then by what some might call a "stroke of luck" or just being "in the right place at the right time", or better yet "devine intervention", I was led right back here to the HDT forums at just the right moment where I would find our dream toter. Today she sits where the KW was once parked outside the RV. "Big Blue" the little Volvo that is. I'm sure some of you know this toter from the past.

We are very excited with our recent acquisition of this rig and looking forward to many trips pulling the Redwood with it. More importantly, along with the purchase of this truck, we know that we met a most wonderful couple whom we purchased it from, and believe we have made great friends for life! A side note here: thanks to one of the HDT folks here, I was able to quickly get in contact with the original owners to let them know we were very interested in Blue. If not, we well could have missed out on finding exactly what were were looking for. Thanks again Jack!

Oh and to Henry: That ET Junior Hitch on the back was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME pulling the Landmark down from NC to FL. Can't wait to see how our Redwood feels hitched up to it!!!

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

2001 Volvo Vnl 420 HDT Toter

!958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH [survivor bike]

Proud dad of Abby the Boston Terrier

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

Gary, I was happy to help in the small way I did. It seems you found the perfect truck for you! Hope you can attend the fall Rally!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Welcome Gary...maybe we will see you in Hutch....and congrats

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We're definately gonna try and make it to one of the rallies in the near future. But in the meantime, ya'll are welcome to stop by and visit or maybe even spend a night or few with us at the Grand Lake RV and Golf Resort in Citra, FL (just south of Gainesville). We'll leave the light on! LOL This is where we reside fulltime in our Redwood and call "Home Base".

Would make a great location for an HDT Florida Rally someday! They have a great rally center and onsite restaurant here. Get some HDT folks through here from Canada each year. So, the invite is out, lets get together some time if you're passing through our neck of the woods and we'll fill the fire pit with some oak and have coffee or a favored beverages around the campfire as we listen to the airboaters out frogging at night just off our shores of Orange Lake!

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

Ooops! Silly sticker (label). And I told Cindy it was a Junior when I had her make my custom hitch cover for it. But not to worry. I also gave her very precise measurements too! LOL

I'm having it custom fitted and the bottom of the cover cut and sewn to follow the contours of the truck frame around the hitch assembly. Then I'm going to install three grommets along each side at the bottom to secure it from the wind while the Volvo is parked. It should be arriving in the mail Wednesday so I can get that bad boy covered and protected from the sun and rain!

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

Howdy Gary,

Welcome, perhaps our trails will cross someday or at one of the rallies.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Congrats and enjoy, I also just got a ET Junior installed on my truck and will be getting a cover made for it also. Smart move.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Trying to figure out how to post photos on this forum, but its telling me their files are to big. Been down this road a long time ago and forgot how I did it!!

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

Archived